Lost in the registers - theHunter [x,y,z]

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
hardjack79
Noobzor
Noobzor

Lost in the registers - theHunter [x,y,z]

Post by hardjack79 »

Hi all, I'm just getting into CE and game hacking but it is my new favourite pass-time. But I've hit a wall and hopefully someone who understands can explain why.

I'm trying to hack teleportation into theHunter CotW singleplayer. I've found static addresses for float player position in the world (or maybe just on the map?) but can't use them to freeze my character in place or teleport. I've done lots of different searches and obviously there are a bunch of floats that change with player position, but I think most of them are viewport related (e.g. they are 1.7 m above the world position).

When I look at how those static addresses are filled it is from movss instructions from registers. I have stepped through code tracing registers copied to registers copied to registers and I can't really see what the end point will be. The registers only hold the x,y,z info briefly in between being used for other things. What I was expecting was to find one-xyz-memory-address-to-rule-them-all within the game's memory space that I could freeze and would freeze me in game and then I'd be away, but I don't think I will. :?

This is a great way to learn about assembly and registers and stacks etc so I'm doing a lot of reading, but if anyone could tell me if I have the wrong idea or need to refocus my efforts in a different direction, that would be really helpful and potentially save many hours of my life!

Thanks!
Richard

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Re: Lost in the registers - theHunter [x,y,z]

Post by SunBeam »

The game engine doesn't work with regular XYZ representation, in the sense that there is an anchor in the world that holds certain coordinates, The player coordinates are updated based on their relative position to that anchor's XYZ. What you've seen in youtube videos or read in some tutorials doesn't apply to this game (or its engine). Also, manual intervention in the calculation process may cause areas not to load properly. See my thread for RAGE2 here. The engine's name is APEX.

hardjack79
Noobzor
Noobzor

Re: Lost in the registers - theHunter [x,y,z]

Post by hardjack79 »

Thanks SunBeam, that is super helpful. I'm sure there are plenty of other things I can mess around with instead (not looking to make it easier really, just have fun with it).