Is Cheat Requests Interesting or hard work for you?

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Is Cheat Requests Interesting or hard work for you?

Post by pferreira »

For those out there working away making trainers and tables for the rest of us I have a couple of questions. Do you guys welcome the requests due to the random nature of what might be asked or is it just hard work for you? Do you guys appreciate more obscure requests or requests for older games as it's a breath of fresh air for creativity and challenge or do you see it as something that eventually has to be done?

Also while I'm sure you don't mind seeing the threads bombarded with requests any many requests per month do you feel is reasonable for someone to make. I obviously don't wish to overstep and ask for too much.

Rhark
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Is Cheat Requests Interesting or hard work for you?

Post by Rhark »

Personally, I think it's fine if people want to request many games because there are a lot of people who make tables/trainers on this site and a lot of potential to have your request fulfilled. However, just because you request something doesn't guarantee it'll be fulfilled.

zachillios
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by zachillios »

I can only speak for my self, but:
pferreira wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:17 pm
Do you guys welcome the requests due to the random nature of what might be asked or is it just hard work for you?
I don't mind them if they're reasonable. If it's something like "Hey you don't have an EXP option, could you add one?" then that's completely fine and I don't mind working on it. But if it's something like "You have an EXP option, but I want an EXP multiplier" then I get annoyed. Both options achieve the same thing, and you're just being picky. For options such as that, do them yourself if you want it.
pferreira wrote:
Do you guys appreciate more obscure requests or requests for older games as it's a breath of fresh air for creativity and challenge or do you see it as something that eventually has to be done?
This also depends on what is being asked. If it's something like "I want a character model swapper" then that's a cool feature I don't mind looking into. But if it's something like: "Make an option to remove the games Depth of Field or change its Lighting!" then there's a couple things ridiculous about that. First of all there's much better tools out there to mess with that kind of stuff then cheat engine. Secondly you're one person asking for a request that's huge. You're asking me to dedicate a huge amount of time specifically for you while you're not assisting or compensating me for my time. I throw those requests right out the window.
pferreira wrote:
Also while I'm sure you don't mind seeing the threads bombarded with requests any many requests per month do you feel is reasonable for someone to make. I obviously don't wish to overstep and ask for too much.
The bottom line is this: If you're making a request follow these guidelines that I'm sure all table makers and talents would appreciate:

1): Be reasonable. Don't ask for something insane and not contribute in anyway. Do the groundwork and we'll do the rest.
2): Don't spam our threads with the same request over and over. I assure you we're reading all the posts, if we don't answer any of your posts, it's probably because we're ignoring you because you're being annoying.
3): Do not be entitled. We owe you nothing. If we say no we're not doing something, don't pick a fight in our threads, and don't message us because you think we've personally wronged you.
4): Don't be helpless and try to make what you want on your own. You don't even need to know how to script to do this. Find the value that corresponds with the option you want and make a pointer out of it. Or give us a detailed report on how you found the value yourself.
5): Understand the difference between "This doesn't work" and "This isn't working for me." These are two very different problems and are solved in very different ways.
6): Lastly: READ THE ENTIRE THREAD. Your question has been answered before, I assure you. Clogging the thread with already answered questions is annoying and hurts the people who are actually asking new and important questions.

pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by pferreira »

Great answers guys. I suppose to some extent you guys like doing this type of thing because of the challenge. I'm personally not a tech guy although I have done very rudimentary hacking via CE for certain games. For instance I once managed to alter the money values in Virtual Villagers 3 so for me that was an achievement even though it was nothing big. I remember asking for a hack for Peggle and what the person did with the ball in that game was amazing.
Rhark wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:23 pm
However, just because you request something doesn't guarantee it'll be fulfilled.
I just thought about something: do you know how the new app will handle different trainers or CE tables for individual games? I imagine more than one has been listed on here for a game.
zachillios wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:09 pm
This also depends on what is being asked. If it's something like "I want a character model swapper" then that's a cool feature I don't mind looking into. But if it's something like: "Make an option to remove the games Depth of Field or change its Lighting!" then there's a couple things ridiculous about that.
I'm generally not that creative in my requests :lol: I think more likely my requests are for stuff that's a little less well known or currently played.

Rhark
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Rhark »

pferreira wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:12 pm
Great answers guys. I suppose to some extent you guys like doing this type of thing because of the challenge. I'm personally not a tech guy although I have done very rudimentary hacking via CE for certain games. For instance I once managed to alter the money values in Virtual Villagers 3 so for me that was an achievement even though it was nothing big. I remember asking for a hack for Peggle and what the person did with the ball in that game was amazing.
Rhark wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:23 pm
However, just because you request something doesn't guarantee it'll be fulfilled.
I just thought about something: do you know how the new app will handle different trainers or CE tables for individual games? I imagine more than one has been listed on here for a game.
it is possible to have multiple trainers for one game in the app, this is very new with the whole merge happening so I'm not entirely sure how it's going to be handled yet.

pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by pferreira »

Rhark wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:32 pm
it is possible to have multiple trainers for one game in the app, this is very new with the whole merge happening so I'm not entirely sure how it's going to be handled yet.
Okay, thanks.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

I have one remark here: I don't like to provide something for people that are detached from FRF. The tables I usually put up contain stuff I consider not ruining your gameplay experience, but that may be subjective. Taking in requests would work for me, as long as I know the person's been with FRF for a while now. Else, 1-posters and "plix updeit" are a NO in my book. Not to mention the countless PMs or DMs on Discord I get to update this and that and lots of "plisss". Apart from that, seeing requests after 6 months from the game's release is also a NO for me, as once I'm done with the game, I move on to others. You know how it feels like when you're doing some shit and your boss tells you to drop what you're doing and go back and fix some other shit. I gave this example to express that it's annoying (I know people here aren't the bosses of us) to see 6 months in the process "game updated, please fix". Fix what? Nothing to fix. Just cuz the executable's been recompiled and some array of bytes isn't the same doesn't mean there's something to fix. That's a consequence of the recompile. To me "please fix" means something isn't working as designed; I don't consider some script not enabling cuz of different .exe or aob changed "not working as designed". But then again, you can't really ask people to get involved and learn how to do it, how to adjust the tables/scripts themselves; similarly, I expect people not to be bitching and expect us to re-check work from 6 months or 1 year ago.

pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by pferreira »

Junkers80 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:38 pm
Some games have multiple trainers and even have outdated ones listed so you cna access ones built for earlier game versions.
That would be useful. SunBeam brings up an interesting point: I wonder if the app at some point will be updated to show the latest version of a game or provide a marked notification to say whether trainers for a game are outdated due to a game update? For those that do want to update their work they would be kept in the loop without people having to remind them.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

And if I am playing some older version and not the most recent one? Racism? :P

pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by pferreira »

SunBeam wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 am
And if I am playing some older version and not the most recent one? Racism? :P
Oh yeah the app should detect what version of a game you own. :)

CaesarCzech
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by CaesarCzech »

I wonder if there could be tutorial how to adjust the tables for updated version i figure there are some people who might be able to update the tables but not make them so to speak.

pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by pferreira »

CaesarCzech wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:18 pm
I wonder if there could be tutorial how to adjust the tables for updated version i figure there are some people who might be able to update the tables but not make them so to speak.
The problem there is if someone without tech knowledge of the trainer starts messing around with it the whole game trainer may stop working for everyone unless it's worked out seperate from the original hack.

CaesarCzech
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by CaesarCzech »

pferreira wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:14 pm
CaesarCzech wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:18 pm
The problem there is if someone without tech knowledge of the trainer starts messing around with it the whole game trainer may stop working for everyone unless it's worked out seperate from the original hack.

WHO THE HELL SUGGESTED THAT ? i meant backup and editing that backup. im not stupid.

pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by pferreira »

CaesarCzech wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:38 pm
WHO THE HELL SUGGESTED THAT ? i meant backup and editing that backup. im not stupid.
Oh okay. :lol:

Csimbi
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by Csimbi »

You might not like my response, but here it goes.
I have a lot on my plate in life. Kids, work, house, parents and my own health.
I miss a lots of new games, I keep failing at catching up on a lot of things.
For a while I've been trying to prioritize, but that takes you only so far.
Nowadays I look at the requests only when I am bored (I have older games mostly so I prefer those), or, when I have hacked something and it might help someone that had put in a request for something similar.
When I actually do have some time and I do see a request, I usually weigh the reputation of the requester, my own interest in the game (is it something I already enjoyed or chances are good that I will) and how much fun creating the hack might be (I feel simple hacks could be done by someone else).
At that point, I try to build tables that resist code changes as much as possible so it survives a few patches.
Quite a bit of the requests are about updating older tables anyway, and truth to be told, that's not something I am very much invested in anymore. I hacked it - the fun part was done -, people out there might learn a thing or do while trying to update them themselves; my time is limited and people have to understand that. That's precisely the reason I prefer tables to trainers: the know-how is in there, it only takes a pair of keen eyes to adapt them to a new patch. After all, most games do not change much from patch to patch. The compiled byte code does.
Cheers!