Some doubts

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
Lucas20201
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Some doubts

Post by Lucas20201 »

I'm starting to make CT for a game, but that game has updated and I have the pointers from the previous version (and none work in the new version), can I continue from these pointers or should I do it all over again? Is there a way to make a universal version that works in all future versions?

And what happens if I do a pointerscan on a pointer?

zachillios
Table Makers
Table Makers

Re: Some doubts

Post by zachillios »

If you haven't done the cheat engine tutorial, be sure to do that first.
Lucas20201 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:38 pm
can I continue from these pointers or should I do it all over again?
If they're just a pointer and not an AOB script based pointer, then yeah you'll need to start over. If it's a script, you can kinda work off the initial script.
Lucas20201 wrote:
Is there a way to make a universal version that works in all future versions?
Making an AOB based pointer will garner you better results, but even then you'll run into problems with patches breaking them. You usually have to put in ?? into your AOB to help it work through patches.
Lucas20201 wrote:
And what happens if I do a pointerscan on a pointer?
Probably nothing.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Re: Some doubts

Post by SunBeam »

The usual logic people work with pointers ("I have the pointers") is starting from a base STATIC address. When the game updates, that may or not change. As long as you base address that you use in your pointer tree doesn't change, you're good. You might need to change some of the offsets in the tree (those may change as well).

Example:

+48
+200
+10
game.exe+458736

In the tree above ALL can change or not. First check if you can re-use them, as some updates don't really add stuff to the .exe, so you might be lucky and find nothing to update. If the game's using Denuvo, then for sure there's been a recompile of the .exe and an unique envelope with Denuvo. What that means is the skeleton of the PE changed a lot and chances my example above will work are < 0% :) So you'll have to re-find that base pointer and see if the other offsets are still the same (10, 200, 48).

In short - you need to find an AOB for the base pointer. It's usually within instructions like "mov rax,[game.exe+458736]". Just set a breakpoint on access on it and see WHO is accessing it. Then aob that.

BR,
Sun