What do you start with first? Less how, more what

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
nyswiftiewiththehats
Cheater
Cheater

What do you start with first? Less how, more what

Post by nyswiftiewiththehats »

There might be a thread on this already. If so, please direct me to it.

When starting a new game, new table, my default is currency. Sometimes that's difficult, sometimes there is no currency. Given that I'm poor IRL, having infinite funds is what I love to have. Usually 4 byte, sometimes float. Health isn't next or first. Looking for and finding a shop of some kind, the max amount is what to discover next. Buy all the healing items (99 elixirs just cause) in case you need ALL of them. hehe

If there is an unlimited number of game saves, then I don't need to look. Otherwise, save location is next. Always good to have a backup. Some games only have autosave and checkpoints so I'm giving myself infinite saves. The next step is testing and loading those saves. What good is a backup if it doesn't load.

Before HP (health points) is MP (Magic Points) if there is one or something equivalent. Special moves that take up some kind of bar is once again some kind of float. Healing through that means no need for items or infinite health. Might be easier and save you the trouble of healing otherwise.

Still ignoring health at this point and going back to the shop for stat altering items are next even if they're temporary. HP gain to a really big number with my infinite funds or high enough defense where nothing does more than 1 point of damage is also good for finding the damage code.

Finally if all else fails or if I'm bored, health.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Re: What do you start with first? Less how, more what

Post by SunBeam »

..and yet people call me names when I mention OCD or other aspects. Sure, I'm the one with issues..

nyswiftiewiththehats
Cheater
Cheater

Is that where I should start?

Marc
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by Marc »

I don't see why not :)

Personally, I start with health or mana to get to the character stats. After that I'm striving for godmode and one-hit-kill. Then looking up money, go to a shop and buy all good stuff available.
But that's a personal preference. Any order is fine as long as you reach your goal.

nyswiftiewiththehats
Cheater
Cheater

Marc wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:41 am
I don't see why not :)

Personally, I start with health or mana to get to the character stats. After that I'm striving for godmode and one-hit-kill. Then looking up money, go to a shop and buy all good stuff available.
But that's a personal preference. Any order is fine as long as you reach your goal.
Interesting. You're right, we all have different goals. It's good to take a different perspective and path once in a while. I only start with money because it's usually the easiest 4 byte search. Sometimes it gives me at least two results, my inventory stat and what's on screen. The latter doesn't always change right away.

Godmode and one-hit-kills are always nice to have as an option. I'd use that to get past a tedious part and then turn it off before the entire game becomes too easy.

Buying everything in the shop is also my way of testing how much I can buy if there's a limit. Of course, starting with the most expensive thing first is always my goal. And then I figure out what it does. Buy it first because you might (never) need it later.

I did health and "mana" recently. Stood there while getting shot for giggles, played the entire game pacifist mode. Didn't shoot anyone back unless it were required to move on, the joys of holding a grenade and setting it off in front of an enemy NPC.

Working on learning No Collision. Never thought I needed it till I realized I NEEDED it.

kantoboy69
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by kantoboy69 »

Ammo, hp, mp, money/gold item increase, range, action points
1 kill is overkill so I rarely do so
I don't need stats change although it's sometimes nice

Since games are more complicated now way back then
It's getting harder and harder to search for values
So only those games I am so interested that I do make an effort to create scripts/tables