GPU1 causing overheat

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
The Mogician
Table Makers
Table Makers

GPU1 causing overheat

Post by The Mogician »

I know this might not really be the place for this kinda question but I'm a bit out of ideas ATM.

About two months back my Dell laptop got into a automatic repair loop during start up. No biggie, I thought and I tried reseting the computer. Here comes the whammy, it couldn't reset so I had to make a boot drive with a USB and reinstalled Windows 10 system on my PC.

I noticed that the computer would start to overheat at the least demanding games. I was playing plague inc the other day and the computer got from 50 something centigrade (normal temp) to 80 something centigrade. I found out that if a game runs on GPU0, which is my integrated IE, nothing would happen, but if it runs on my GPU1, which is a GTX1060 Max Q Design card, the laptop would begin to overheat quickly as the fan will go on overdrive.

I tried re-reinstalling the Windows 10 system and installing a bunch of drivers together with updates and whatnot, nothing worked.Tried cleaning the fan and reapplying the thermal paste, doesn't work either. Does anybody know how to deal with this? :oops:

Viken
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: GPU1 causing overheat

Post by Viken »

It sounds like something fried in your graphics card and was triggering the errors that caused the original repair loop. If you'd sent the laptop in, they could have pinpointed what had failed from the error logs that are part of the boot from the BIOS, but because you re-installed Windows on it, the logs are most likely gone now.

That said, I also have an issue with overheating on my desktops graphics card. No money to replace it at the moment, so I keep a fan blowing on it with my towers' sides taken off. I'm real careful with the games I play these days for that very reason.

What it really comes down to though is that all hardware has a limited lifespan. There's only so much wear and tear and usage such things can handle before they start failing. Rather it be the thermal insulation between the chip components, or a heatsink or sensor that went bad, or the fan controllers, there's really no telling.

Best and simplest bet would be to start saving up for a replacement, omae.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

Viken wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 pm
Reading both posts kinds leads me to the same conclusion: when it's down to possibly hardware fault, there's no escape.

However.. one thought came to mind, though I'm not sure how much you will like it :)

I remember my university years when I built my first PC from various components. Had an AMD Barton CPU at the time and for some reason, the socket I was supposed to apply the CPU cooler on allowed this to be position in whichever direction. So I applied the paste, then the cooler over, the played for like several hours when my PC started rebooting. Tried again, played for several hours (Need For Speed: Underground at the time, oh the memories) and again it rebooted. I started monitoring the temperature and saw quick overheat when playing games. One thing I did to help with this was to set a temperature limit in the software that would not let the CPU overheat. Yes, am aware I'm talking about CPU and not GPU. 1 day later I discovered I had the cooler set in a wrong position over the CPU, which, for some reason, didn't properly attach to the paste :) Imagine my surprise.

Long story short, if you can't change your GPU, for any reason (mostly cost-wise?), try at least to find a software that allows limiting the temperature overall or on each GPU.

Viken
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Viken »

I'm currently using a Radeon GPU, the R9 390 series. Old these days, but it's all I have. Sadly there isn't any way to control the max heat allowance. I've tweaked the fan speed and whatnot for it though, so it is somewhat in a usable state for the moment. That and I keep it clean. But I really will have to look at getting a replacement when I have the money to do so.

GreenHouse
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by GreenHouse »

Viken wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:11 pm
I'm currently using a Radeon GPU, the R9 390 series. Old these days, but it's all I have. Sadly there isn't any way to control the max heat allowance. I've tweaked the fan speed and whatnot for it though, so it is somewhat in a usable state for the moment. That and I keep it clean. But I really will have to look at getting a replacement when I have the money to do so.
You can use MSI Afterburner to limit the temp. And you can decrease the power limit too.

The Mogician
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by The Mogician »

GreenHouse wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:53 am
Viken wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:11 pm
You can use MSI Afterburner to limit the temp. And you can decrease the power limit too.
I tried using MSI Afterburner but it was "broken". Before the Windows reinstall, it worked fine, but afterwards, it doesn't work any more. It made me wonder if something is wrong with the bios, but I can't figure it out.