Why are cheat tables now flagged as malware when downloading?

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
Someone
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Why are cheat tables now flagged as malware when downloading?

Post by Someone »

Basically what is says in the title. Recently whenever I've been trying to download any cheat table, it is being flagged as malware when downloaded by Google and Firefox. When I first saw it I was confused and thought that it may be the case this one time but after I opened the file and scanned it via Kaspersky it showed that it did not have any malware or virus. What is going on?

GreenHouse
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Why are cheat tables now flagged as malware when downloading?

Post by GreenHouse »

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN »

When browsers decide to do something they're not designed to, that's what happens.

You should get an option to keep the download at least in Vivaldi, dunno about Chrome and Firefox, there should be a way there too.

drunkenmonkey
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by drunkenmonkey »

pretty sure there used to be an option with chrome to keep it anyway, but now it just works on the "your to dumb, at google were smarter and must protect you from yourself"

TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by TimFun13 »

Chrome even flagged an empty text file as "dangerous", what a joke. I reported the issue to google.

If you click the "Show All", there is still a "keep download" option. But they removed it from the download's options. And they removed the option to disable the feature, so it might be time to find a better browser.

SunBeam
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by SunBeam »

..which brings me yet again to the all-time question: why the fuck do you update or upgrade your browsers, Windows OS, etc.? Spare me with the "cuz of security" bullshit. No one cares about your PC to hack you, infect you and so on. Ah.. that you're auto-doing it by not discerning WTF you download, run or install, that's a different story.. And for that you got anti-viruses; no need to update anything useless from M$ (pfft, Windows Defender..)

P.S.: If the update does indeed bring something good, a feature that you can use, sure thing, by all means. Else.. you do it just to psychologically sleep better at night? Dafuq..

GreenHouse
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by GreenHouse »

SunBeam wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:20 pm
..which brings me yet again to the all-time question: why the fuck do you update or upgrade your browsers, Windows OS, etc.? Spare me with the "cuz of security" bullshit. No one cares about your PC to hack you, infect you and so on. Ah.. that you're auto-doing it by not discerning WTF you download, run or install, that's a different story.. And for that you got anti-viruses; no need to update anything useless from M$ (pfft, Windows Defender..)

P.S.: If the update does indeed bring something good, a feature that you can use, sure thing, by all means. Else.. you do it just to psychologically sleep better at night? Dafuq..
I would say that companies like updating, changing and adding stuff so people think that they're actually working on something. 1 month, 5 updates, 1 meaningful change. It's like: Look, we're working on getting you a better experience and more security. Praise us!

predprey
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by predprey »

SunBeam wrote:

because they are slowly taking away your ability to delay or pause updates. chrome? auto-update checked. windows? auto-update and option to only delay up to a few months. if you're still on windows 10 1803? end of support and forced auto-update pushed onto you. if any one still values control over their desktop we have to migrate over to linux where the ecosystem is much worse for gamers than windows. faith in humanity slowly bleeding away...... :ph34r:

TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by TimFun13 »

SunBeam wrote:

Seems to be something on google's end, I haven't updated it. Seen a lot of webmasters saying the same thing, seems to be related to the url more than anything. My guess is something was found with a crawler and it takes some time to clear even if it was removed. We might need to go through the trainer section and double check some stuff.

predprey wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:36 pm
because they are slowly taking away your ability to delay or pause updates. chrome? auto-update checked. windows? auto-update and option to only delay up to a few months. if you're still on windows 10 1803? end of support and forced auto-update pushed onto you. if any one still values control over their desktop we have to migrate over to linux where the ecosystem is much worse for gamers than windows. faith in humanity slowly bleeding away...... :ph34r:
I just use windows for what I have to, like games, but otherwise I use linux.

Archerodees
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Archerodees »

Just wanted to chime in on this. Yep I was getting the same thing on Firefox, it always flagged them. Even on ones I've Dl'd before but I knew were fine. So I scanned the folder they were in and it came back negative. However.....using the actual table that Firefox flagged always gave the error, "Table failed to load, or failed to load Steam table" something like that. So Firefox was doing something to the table itself. Removing something, as only the tables Firefox DL'd and flagged did this.

So I tried MS Edge to download a table, and hey presto it worked. So if anyone is getting that error, use another browser.

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN »

These warnings should be gone now.