Trojan inside a setup for a game

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
Pur
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Trojan inside a setup for a game

Post by Pur »

So, I saw the Hoodlum release of Close to the Sun is detected by Windows Defenders as a trojan (for the setup).
Of course I didn't download it, but I'm curious on why the setup is detected as a trojan, since generally the false positives are for the cracks itself, usually all the other files are exactly the same as the original release and only the crack is changed.

People say it's a false positive, but I really doubt, what's a competent opinion on this?

GreenHouse
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Trojan inside a setup for a game

Post by GreenHouse »

Pur wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:15 am
So, I saw the Hoodlum release of Close to the Sun is detected by Windows Defenders as a trojan (for the setup).
Of course I didn't download it, but I'm curious on why the setup is detected as a trojan, since generally the false positives are for the cracks itself, usually all the other files are exactly the same as the original release and only the crack is changed.

People say it's a false positive, but I really doubt, what's a competent opinion on this?
There's a webpage that used to add its own DRM and Adware in their uploads. So it wouldn't be a surprise If it was because the setup included some shady stuff. I got the Hoodlum release and had no problem with viruses. So it might be something from the specific place you chose to download it.

Pur
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Pur »

GreenHouse wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:28 am
Pur wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:15 am

There's a webpage that used to add its own DRM and Adware in their uploads. So it wouldn't be a surprise If it was because the setup included some shady stuff. I got the Hoodlum release and had no problem with viruses. So it might be something from the specific place you chose to download it.
I read multiple reports in different places about this, so I doubt it's specific of a site, more of the release. I don't pirate games, but I was curious because I saw so many comments under the release in different sites and it's not really normal, considering usually what is modified is the .exe with a crack, not the entire setup.

Pur
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Pur »

Well apparently The Observation has the same problem, with the setup having 25 virus reports on Virus Total.

Rysefox
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by Rysefox »

Pur wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 am
Well apparently The Observation has the same problem, with the setup having 25 virus reports on Virus Total.
Downloaded it without any Viruses

SunBeam
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by SunBeam »

Sad to see this shit is still posted even in 2019.