Game Engines Help

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Game Engines Help

Post by pferreira »

Hello, I've noticed for cheat requests it always asks for the game engine. Does anybody know the best source or website to find out the game engine of a title, especially the more obscure games?

GreenHouse
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Game Engines Help

Post by GreenHouse »

Wikipedia or just Google? Otherwise check the game files.
Games that have these folders "\GameName\Binaries\Win64" or the executable ends up with "Win64-Shipping.exe". Means that it's an Unreal Engine game. You can also right click the executable, and it'll tell you the version of the engine.
Games with a folder called "GameName_Data", means that it's a Unity Engine game. If it has "GameAssembly.dll" inside the main folder, then it's a Unity Engine game using il2cpp.
Games with a file called "data.win", means that it's a GameMaker Engine game.
Games with files with the ".forge" extension, means that it's an AnvilNext Engine game.
Etc.

Most have specific files or folders that are easily recognizable. But if you don't know, your best bet is either looking into the Wikipedia article of the game, or basically looking it up on Google.

pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by pferreira »

GreenHouse wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:21 pm
You can also right click the executable, and it'll tell you the version of the engine.
I took your advice here and tried this on an obscure casual game as an example. It's an exe file. I'm not sure where I should be looking. If I go into Details I can find the creation date, file type, the version number and even the original file name, etc but not the game engine. Am I looking in the wrong place?

LeFiXER
LeFixer
LeFixer

Post by LeFiXER »

Usually searching for the game on Wikipedia yields good results. If not, if you attach CE to the game and the Mono menu appears, then it's most likely a game created with Unity engine. Sometimes, the game will display the engine during the loading intro, like Unreal Engine or GameMaker Studio. If they don't then it's probably a proprietary in-house engine but this will usually be coded in C++, not always but most of the time.

pferreira
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by pferreira »

LeFiXER wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:43 pm
Usually searching for the game on Wikipedia yields good results. If not, if you attach CE to the game and the Mono menu appears, then it's most likely a game created with Unity engine. Sometimes, the game will display the engine during the loading intro, like Unreal Engine or GameMaker Studio. If they don't then it's probably a proprietary in-house engine but this will usually be coded in C++, not always but most of the time.
Yeah for casual games I was finding it difficult to find out the game engine used that's why I wondered if there was a database. I guess it's just a case of game by game basis.