Can we get a Sticky in the Tables Section about What to do if a Script/Table is not working??

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
gideon25
Table Makers
Table Makers

Can we get a Sticky in the Tables Section about What to do if a Script/Table is not working??

Post by gideon25 »

I don't want to be presumptuous, but I know table makers get sick of users coming in and saying "your table/script doesn't work" and it would be nice to be able to just quote that and then post a link to HOW/WHAT they should post when a table or script does not work.

There should be some basic rules/Template people are expected to follow/use when a table or a script doesn't work for them. At least things they should note the first time they post an error, or have a problem in a thread. Things they should mention and would be great for a sticky (but by no means comprehensive):

1. EDIT: IF they ARE NOT USING Windows 10 64bit. IF not, then what OS they are using. If its an Emulator the exact version they are using.
2. The exact Game version they are using: Both the version number and whether its steam, epic, or GOG, etc. And what DLCs if applicable. If its a ROM the exact Rom name/version.
3. Specifically which scripts will not activate. They must say if a script either: Does not activate OR it activates but does not work. And if it will not activate, they must right click the script and post the error that cheat engine gives (maybe in the sticky have a screenshot illustrating to users how to do this/what to look for).
4. If they are using any third party mods for the game.

Something like that above as a template.

ShyTwig16
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Can we get a Sticky in the Tables Section about What to do if a Script/Table is not working??

Post by ShyTwig16 »

The problem is about 90% don't even read the post the table is in. I have an "errors and bugs" section in all my table posts. It's bold and red, and it explains what to do with an error in the table. Only about 5-10% follow the instructions. The rest will say they didn't see it. I even have a logger that prints a lot of the needed information and a lot of people don't even post the loggers output. I still get a lot of "table doesn't work". I tend to just ignore these, and wait til they figure out how to follow instructions.

But I do like this idea, so I'll make something like this and pin it. Probable add a "look for specific instructions in the table's post, if not found follow these instructions".

Other table makers show any steps you think should be added.

- If it's a steam table, [Link]. If it's GOG table, [Link].

notpikachu
Table Makers
Table Makers

Re: Can we get a Sticky in the Tables Section about What to do if a Script/Table is not working??

Post by notpikachu »

A few things on top of my head
-Attach save game just right before the issue (if possible). - man if only user could give this and it would save so much time.
-Cheat engine version - or try reinstalling or doesn't work downgrade to 7.1. - I'm actually skeptical about this but in one debugging with the user, their CE 7.2 just stop working for a particular executable but work for 7.1. *shrugs
-Stop spamming - saw a few of those kind spamming in 2-3 topics or even sections, just to ask for updates and cheat doesn't work...

gideon25
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by gideon25 »

notpikachu wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:03 pm
A few things on top of my head
-Attach save game just right before the issue (if possible). - man if only user could give this and it would save so much time.
-Cheat engine version - or try reinstalling or doesn't work downgrade to 7.1. - I'm actually skeptical about this but in one debugging with the user, their CE 7.2 just stop working for a particular executable but work for 7.1. *shrugs
-Stop spamming - saw a few of those kind spamming in 2-3 topics or even sections, just to ask for updates and cheat doesn't work...
Well in all of my tables I use Unregistersymbol(*) and Dealloc(*). Does 7.1 allow that? Seems like downgrading could cause more issues than solve for like 99% of cases... Although I think I had 1 or 2 cases where cheat engine 7.2 would not work and 7.1 would, but only 1 or 2 cases and it was likely a mono/unity incompatibility issue..

notpikachu
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by notpikachu »

gideon25 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:29 pm
Well in all of my tables I use Unregistersymbol(*) and Dealloc(*). Does 7.1 allow that? Seems like downgrading could cause more issues than solve for like 99% of cases... Although I think I had 1 or 2 cases where cheat engine 7.2 would not work and 7.1 would, but only 1 or 2 cases and it was likely a mono/unity incompatibility issue..
I did a quick test on the Unregistersymbol(*) and Dealloc(*) for 7.1 and look like no problem so far enabling or disabling the script, but as I wrote earlier, I'm skeptical on this too but some user did have success by using 7.1. For my end, both of the CE work but I don't want to say presumptuously it work for everyone just because it work for me.

Marc
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by Marc »

According to the "look for specific instructions in the table's post, if not found follow these instructions"-part:

If there are no specific update-intructions in the table's post, try this:
  • if a script cannot be activated, do a right-click on the entry. You'll see a message why the script could no be activated.
  • if the games uses mono/.NET and there is a named address in the table like game:gethealth+17, then rejoice. Invoke the disassembler and press Ctrl-G. Enter the given address and take a look at the code you see, compare it to the code in the table
  • most likely it's an AOB-scan which does not work. Open the Script and take a look if the surrounding original code of the game is in the comment below. If so, try to find some of the other bytes around the original injection point. It's surprising how often the "lost places" can be found with this
  • if there is no comment-block with the original code, try shortening the bytes in the AOB
  • should the other methods fail, you can at least get the information about the data types out of the table. Search for one easy to find value for yourself and after finding that, try to adjust the table to it (for example: if the original table provides a pointer-path, use the pointer scanner to find a working one. Most of the tables use only one pointer path to the data-block and all other addresses are stored relative to this pointer path like +17. So you only have to adjust one simple pointer path to get going
Edit: see also viewtopic.php?t=7275 :)