Question about "vulgar" language.

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.

What are your thoughts on vulgarity in this community.

All vulgarity should be dealt with, i.e. censoring and warnings/bans.
10%
Only severe vulgarity should be dealt with, i.e. slurs and hate speech.
38%
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall
18%
Who ever votes for the first one can get fucked.
8%
What the fuck fucked the fucking fuck, FUCK.
23%
Other (see post below).
3%

Total votes: 39

ShyTwig16
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Question about "vulgar" language.

Post by ShyTwig16 »

I feel like I'm seeing more reports and complaints about "vulgar" language. Not belligerent or slurs or hate speech. Just calling someone an asshole or bitch, and whatnot. My first thought to this tends to include "vulgar" language. But it makes me curious what the community really thinks about this kind of thing.

VampTY
Table Makers
Table Makers

Re: Question about "vulgar" language.

Post by VampTY »

Hey Tim,

I don't think that would be a good implementation, where's the control in all that?I've had my share of hate and curses and swearing and whatnot in this forum, for what?In the end, nobody gives a damn, that's a fact.So, now i'm trying to be more polite.If some user wants to express that way, let that user do that, create a section with "mature content" sign or something.Warning them won't do any good at all, will just grow even more their hate to add more bad words.

Sure, a community where all is pink and there's rainbows and the birds are singing, that is the dream we all want, even in life, that won't be ever done, since there's always good and bad, it can't be other without the other one.

From my point of view, as a user, only admins should use a proper way to manage their condition not expressing bad words even when they have to, in order to maintain their value, i think that should be judged by users, from now on, since is a community (where users opinions counts?!) meaning:
- a user cursed some admin, having no right and no point at all, just to address him/her only bad words, then make some vote drop list attached to that user and let people decide (voice of the nation, not admins, users instead, so like 50 votes will keep that user banned for 1 day or 1 week or more)
- a user cursed you and he/she was right, well, let people decide to add to the admin or admins some negative drop list to him/her

It's like a steam ban, you know is there and will stick there, i mean, when you'll click some user you'll see from hi/her info also that, 1 bad review or 1 bad use of mature content or 1 breaking the rules event ..i can add a lot if these, but you get the idea!

This way users will know, clicking on a user and that user having like 10 bad signs with any value, they'll know to avoid him/her, or not.
I mean like on youtube, not only milk and honey, there's also that dislike button.

Also, a user should have the chance to regain his/her trust by removing the "bad words ban" let's say it, by doing stuff, interactive stuff..this way will be more fun in the community, since everyone deserves a second chance, and a third one. :P :lol:

Having rules with not using bad language or whatnot will only increase the hate for this forum and the users will search for something else, but having also entertainment, will be cool.

Imagine, the baddest user of this month was ... he/she won a fabulous trip to hell for 2 weeks (this couldn't be done without the help of our sponsor :lol: ), i mean someone can be the "bad" of the year with prices and all (win a game or a ban or give a game to unban ;) )...or who was the most helpful admin, will raise the bar!

Then people will know, oh my god, look he/she has the most points, i want to talk to him/her..he's the most mean or she's the most kind etc

Having emblems attached to name will only make people knowing exactly what to do..like, look that a bad/great admin, or that's a bad/great table maker, or that's a bad/great coder etc

Just my 2 cents here! :ph34r: Since people will always be people, you can't change them, you can only keep them entertained by losing they focus with tricks! ;)

All the best!

zachillios
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by zachillios »

I think people should freely be able to express themselves but the second you start using hate speech is when I tap out. If you're sitting there hurtling slurs at people on the internet then you need to take a breather. And what better way to encourage that then temporarily take away their ability to post.

gideon25
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by gideon25 »

Personally, I could care less about "hate speech" (an invented term) or slurs. BUT all that stuff including calling someone an asshole or bitch or whatever is all flaming though. Flaming just isn't productive and seems pointless on a game cheating site. Don't care about profanity but flaming/attempted flaming wars should be heavily controlled/moderated.

danielyee
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by danielyee »

dear all gamers ..adm ..respected table maker and friends
we should have border line..we are all civilized personality..we are not of receiving non eduation..most of us here may be well educated..
please respect each other..vulgarities are not to be speak..yea i agree to free of speech but ..the wrongly words ..we must observed ourselves..on by respect and dignity..
yes we make mistakes but please respect each other with words not rough bad words as we are all educated..
if one speak vulgarities...the other will think of him as what.....we must have self respect..
so i hope please respect the blog..and our friends here..just my 3 coin...thanks
it may not like to others ..may or may not..
please forgive me if i may say wrongly..thanks

XDAvenger93
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by XDAvenger93 »

sticks and stoned may break my bones but words can never hurt me. it's a random nobody on the bloody internet, who the fuck cares what they say?

also hate speech is an invented word designed to arbitrarily silence dissent and opposition. it does not exist. Grow a spine and a skin and leave the soap bubble someday instead of pretending KGB designed terms of to justify censorship should EVER hold any weight anywhere, especially on the internet.

You want kind words and headpats 24/7, mommy's skirt is that way.

ShyTwig16
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by ShyTwig16 »

gideon25 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:37 am
Personally, I could care less about "hate speech" (an invented term) or slurs. BUT all that stuff including calling someone an asshole or bitch or whatever is all flaming though. Flaming just isn't productive and seems pointless on a game cheating site. Don't care about profanity but flaming/attempted flaming wars should be heavily controlled/moderated.
All terms/words are invented, that's literally how language works. We makeup words to describe things. And this is an unexpected approach, slurs are cool but calling someone an asshole is not. At any rate, I asked for your opinion so thank you for sharing.

gideon25
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by gideon25 »

ShyTwig16 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:52 am
gideon25 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:37 am
All terms/words are invented, that's literally how language works. We makeup words to describe things. And this is an unexpected approach, slurs are cool but calling someone an asshole is not. At any rate, I asked for your opinion so thank you for sharing.
I said in the next sentence that all of that stuff (slurs, included) was flaming and flaming isn't cool. I meant that "hate speech" is a made up modern term that was invented for political purposes and can applied to public statements for dislike of anything or anyone(ie. if pedophilia were to become accepted in society speaking out against it would be considered "Hate Speech" toward pedophiles). Hate speech, Hate crimes, hate thought, phobia this, phobia that (what "Hate" or "phobia" am i supposed to "Hate" tomorrow? Don't worry, the media, the intellectuals, and the powers that be will let me know) etc. I should have said fictitious terms or political fictions. Im cynical, but I don't care :P But yea limiting all of that stuff is probably best so as to not turn the board into a pariah :P

But anyway name calling (slurs included) isn't cool.

ShyTwig16
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by ShyTwig16 »

gideon25 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:10 pm

I said in the next sentence that all of that stuff (slurs, included) was flaming and flaming isn't cool. I meant that "hate speech" is a made up modern term that was invented for political purposes and can applied to public statements for dislike of anything or anyone(ie. if pedophilia were to become accepted in society speaking out against it would be considered "Hate Speech" toward pedophiles). Hate speech, Hate crimes, hate thought, phobia this, phobia that (what "Hate" or "phobia" am i supposed to "Hate" tomorrow? Don't worry, the media, the intellectuals, and the powers that be will let me know) etc. I should have said fictitious terms or political fictions. Im cynical, but I don't care :P But yea limiting all of that stuff is probably best so as to not turn the board into a pariah :P

But anyway name calling (slurs included) isn't cool.
Ok, didn't read it carefully enough I guess. And I think hate speech is a term worth using, but only when it really applies. I have definitely seem times where the term is used to describe criticisms. Saying you disagree with something and why, isn't hate speech. But saying something like "we should kill all the BLANK" definitely is and I think the term really fits. But yeah if it gets misused too often then it kind of loses its meaning, or even takes on a new meaning.

Darkedone02
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Darkedone02 »

didn't know this was a christian server :P

GreenHouse
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by GreenHouse »

In my opinion these are only a problem when they're targeted and they're only used to harass someone or just be hateful. Otherwise it should be fine. When the sole purpose of it, is to be mean to someone or fuck with them, then it's pointless to have that person around, and should be dealt with. As it just adds nothing to the conversation and can be hurtful to some.

LeFiXER
LeFixer
LeFixer

Post by LeFiXER »

Personally, vulgar language is okay in a casual setting. Among friends and peers that are comfortable with that kind of talking. I would say that it isn't acceptable in a professional capacity because it's uncouth; however, reading some of the comments here has brought me to express my opinion around hate speech.

I feel that many misunderstand what hate speech actually is which includes any speech that incites discrimination, hostility or violence towards a person or group defined by their race, religion, ethnicity among other factors. Saying offensive things isn't necessarily hate speech but when that speech is used to pose a risk or is a threat. That's hate speech.

I'm not an offensive person particularly, and I believe that there are a lot of trolls on the internet that speak before they think and don't realise the ramifications of their actions.

That aside, you won't catch me being offensive to anyone without purpose.

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN »

It is funny to me people saying hate speech is an invented word, and seeing the second most popular option in this poll but i still see you all whining and having to deal with reports whenever someone express their freedom :D

Freedom of speech is a myth, neither governments nor individuals can handle too much of it. Some governments suppress it fully others allow some of it but it is still suppressed. Anyone who says otherwise is a hypocrite.

ShyTwig16
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by ShyTwig16 »

STN wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:22 am
It is funny to me people saying hate speech is an invented word, and seeing the second most popular option in this poll but i still see you all whining and having to deal with reports whenever someone express their freedom :D

Freedom of speech is a myth, neither governments nor individuals can handle too much of it. Some governments suppress it fully others allow some of it but it is still suppressed. Anyone who says otherwise is a hypocrite.
Yeah sadly I meet too many people that think freedom of speech means they can say whatever they want and no one can criticize them for it. Over all thinking freedom means they are free to do whatever they want and one else should have the freedom to oppose it. And just looking at the US you can see that freedom of speech is a thin veil at best.

And yeah my thoughts on the argument, "that's a made up word/term". Is "no shit they're all made up". Do they think god, or aliens maybe, just gave us a list of words? Like "here use these and only these words". And at what point do we stop allowing new words or the changing of words in english, is it old english or maybe the languages of the Germanic tribes. Maybe thursday should still be þunresdæg or Þórsdagr, and friday should still be frīġedæġ or frjá-dagr.

gideon25
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by gideon25 »

ShyTwig16 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:06 pm
STN wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:22 am

Yeah sadly I meet too many people that think freedom of speech means they can say whatever they want and no one can criticize them for it. Over all thinking freedom means they are free to do whatever they want and one else should have the freedom to oppose it. And just looking at [Link] in the US you can see that freedom of speech is a thin veil at best.

And yeah my thoughts on the argument, "that's a made up word/term". Is "no shit they're all made up". Do they think god, or aliens maybe, just gave us a list of words? Like "here use these and only these words". And at what point do we stop allowing new words or the changing of words in english, is it old english or maybe the languages of the Germanic tribes. Maybe thursday should still be þunresdæg or Þórsdagr, and friday should still be frīġedæġ or frjá-dagr.
+I agree that there never really has been "free speech." As far as Hate speech being an invented term, when I said it I meant more in an Orwellian way. Where terms are invented, the meaning of words are changed, manipulated, etc. in an effort to push specific political agendas and as a way for governments and those in power to push agendas, enforce conformity, shut down dialog, possibly cover up truths.. That is quite different from etymology and the way language naturally changes. To illustrate: IF the media, the intellectuals, and the powers that be decided tomorrow that pedophilia was ok and in fact the word "pedophile" was offensive:

1. We would have a pedophile on the cover of time magazine
2."Studies" would emerge that claim that pedophilia is great for children!
3. TONS of stories in almost every mainstream news publication would be published about how hard it was being a pedophile, how pedophiles were "discriminated" against and how in FACT the word pedophile itself is offensive and hateful and the actual proper way to refer to them is " " (whatever)
4.So, now, all negative (EVEN if truthful) speech regarding pedophiles/pedophilia can be off limits. Otherwise it would be considered "Hate Speech" and you wouldn't want to get arrested or lose your job would you?
5. Since its "Hate Speech" such speech (Even if truthful) is "Hateful" and Hate is bad/evil and done by BAD/Evil people.
6. NOW if you say anything negative about pedophiles you are a Bad/Evil person who deserves to be thrown in jail and lose your job.

Wow, this "Hate speech" thing sure is useful for those in power, isn't it :P One day, pedophilia is reviled, and relatively short time after that, its not only not ok to say anything negative about it, you are a bad/evil "Hateful" person if you do! But not only now are you expected to tolerate it, hell it would be hateful NOT to embrace it! After all from the same folks that brought us "Hate Speech" there is NOW "Silence is Violence" where remaining silent about how great pedophiles are and how bad they have it is actually an ACT of VIOLENCE! Anyway thats what I meant, not "language changing."