What's the first game you ever used cheats on?

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
RedKaezar
Cheater
Cheater

Re: What's the first game you ever used cheats on?

Post by RedKaezar »

Doom. my 12 year old ass was so excited when I learned about IDDQD and IDKFA. I do not remember HOW I learned about it, since the Internet wasn't a thing back then.

SunBeam
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by SunBeam »

Somehow I feel not everyone here understands what a CHEAT is.

A cheat is a string you type in a console or console-like GUI element to obtain some effect. Or even press a sequence of keys to get the effect working (without a console or something visual, just typing/key presses).

Nowadays, almost everyone using trainers call the OPTIONS 'cheats'. Why, I don't have a fucking idea. Those are HACKS (or any other meaning you wanna give it: mods, patches, hooks, etc.). Not cheats. Hex-editing save-games, altering config files so something is run for you that gives you money or god.. those are mechanisms that imply cheating (as in you, the player, cheating to obtain something -- verb). The actions I've enumerated are not cheats (noun). Bottom-line: let's keep the original meaning of the words in place, shall we?

The first game I've used cheats on (as in press some keys or combination of keys to type in a cheat) was Enemy Infestation ([Link]).

Casually
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by Casually »

The first game I used cheats on was Max Payne 1 and 2. I think I played Max Payne 2 first and then Max Payne 1. Wasn't aware that this is cheating but it was fun to roam around with free cam and change Max Payne into any playable character. The game that was most interesting, beautiful, fun and challenging even with cheats on was Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim.

apollo1
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by apollo1 »

The Baldies 1995

Alaunus
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Alaunus »

Cheatcodes on the internet? You were so lucky! When we were young we had to buy paper magazines to get our cheatcodes!

Honestly I cannot even recall what would be the first game. Maybe SimCity raining down disasters on the city you just build?

Does rewriting the BASIC programs on a Commodore 64 count?

TheByteSize
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by TheByteSize »

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A+B for Gradius in 1991 on Famicom console.
Last edited by TheByteSize on Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hylician Legend
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Hylician Legend »

That's a hard one to remember... Probably one of the Mortal Kombat games back in the 90s. Iirc, they had in-game cheats. I didn't know about cheats during the NES era in the 80s. It wasn't until Super Nintendo that I learned about cheats. Both, in-game cheats and external cheat devices like Game Genie.

FictionOnes
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by FictionOnes »

If you consider codebreaker, gameshark one then it is the pokemon ruby on vba simulator.
If stuff like trainer or cheat engine, my first one would be plant vs zombies.
And for stuff with input directly in the game, it would be the GTA vice city.
Too much nostalgia game here.

teyhox
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by teyhox »

Up, down, left, right, a, b, c, start on Sonic, Megadrive. ^^

Frouk
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Frouk »

hesoyam
GTA San Andreas

bruticus0
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by bruticus0 »

I don't care how to define. My first was taking a weapon attack code for Yukimura in Samurai Warriors 2. Lee4 had found the attack code, and I extrapolated the Weapon Slot 1 code for all 20 something characters. And made the annotation symbols for each of the weapon's properties. It was great making something so many got to enjoy. Best thing was Warriors Orochi held on to the same format, so I got to easily do those too when they came out. Skiller and the Codemasters were absolute legends during the ps2 era.