How to find Offset

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
Abecy
Noobzor
Noobzor

How to find Offset

Post by Abecy »

Can anyone help this noob. I can't seems to find the offset, using "Find out what accesses this address". What I did wrong? look at the picture. Image

ApeDemon66
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: How to find Offset

Post by ApeDemon66 »

Abecy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:30 pm
I can't seems to find the offset, using "Find out what accesses this address". What I did wrong?
You haven't done anything wrong. It's just how the game's code works. Two possibilities I can think of is the offset is actually just 0 or the offset was already applied to the base address and stored it in RDX. I'm guessing it's the second possibility and what you're looking at is probably some very small function. I see that two instructions were picked up for seeing what accessed the address. Both of them are right next to each other in that same, small function. This function's purpose is probably just to transfer a value between two addresses. Now, since this function has such a generic purpose, digging deeper will need just a few more steps. I'd recommend putting a conditional breakpoint on the mov ecx,[rdx] instruction. The condition can be RDX == 0x17965E7CD70 although I'm assuming this address is dynamic and you'll probably need to put whatever address it is at the time. Once you've done that and the program hits the breakpoint, you can step over the ret instruction to go to where this small function was called. You can then backtrack and figure out how it put the value/address together for the RDX register. If you backtrack to the previous function and it's also pretty generic, you'd need to do similar steps. The idea here is to figure out how RDX became what it was.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

He needs to get out of that function and study further the code. Which, given the nature of his question, isn't something he's currently equipped to understand. No offense, but if you want to do just scan/debug/hook-script, then this is not what you should start with. Otherwise, take the long path and understand what wrapper functions are (or how games can call thousands of times that function you're showing the code of).

Abecy
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by Abecy »

Thank so much for the reply. Yeah i am new to this. I was watching videos for hours. My next step is to find the pointer, in order to find it, i need to find the offset. Only this game (Mist Survival) doesn't show offset, other game show. Video said i need to Generate Pointermap then Pointer scan for this address. Below is the video i watched, but he skipped the pointer thing.

Again thanks for the reply.