Search Feature

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
Post Reply
xtwystx
What is cheating?
What is cheating?
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm
Reputation: 1

Search Feature

Post by xtwystx »

Hi all, new to the community and enjoying the content. Quick question, is there a way to search the forums for specific games? I've tried using the 'search' feature multiple times and have had little luck. There is so much content here I'm just looking for a better way to find the games I am playing without having to read every thread. Thanks in advance!

User avatar
IFireflyl
Fearless Donors
Fearless Donors
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 pm
Reputation: 68

Re: Search Feature

Post by IFireflyl »

The search function on this forum is (in my opinion) really stupid. I think that's an issue with phpBB itself though. We've tried using other forum software (such as Xenforo), but that has caused a resource strain if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if there is a better search addon for pbpBB. That's something I think STN will need to address.

xtwystx
What is cheating?
What is cheating?
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm
Reputation: 1

Re: Search Feature

Post by xtwystx »

Thank you.

MasterVegito
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:04 pm
Reputation: 3

Re: Search Feature

Post by MasterVegito »

Bumping the topic, because the negine doesn't even work anymore. Insrtead of searching topics, it searches the entire forum

User avatar
STN
Founder
Founder
Posts: 4072
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:48 pm
Reputation: 1936

Re: Search Feature

Post by STN »

MasterVegito wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:03 pm
Bumping the topic, because the negine doesn't even work anymore. Insrtead of searching topics, it searches the entire forum
Server can't handle the search function bringing down the site so it was replaced with Google search. The problem is people don't donate at all so its not possible to upgrade to a powerful server and some non-critical function are disabled/altered.

DezRoost
Noobzor
Noobzor
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:28 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: Search Feature

Post by DezRoost »

Also like how a mod or Admin will say "use the search" next time when the answer ur question!

i WOULD use it but its broken!

User avatar
STN
Founder
Founder
Posts: 4072
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:48 pm
Reputation: 1936

Re: Search Feature

Post by STN »

DezRoost wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:34 pm
Also like how a mod or Admin will say "use the search" next time when the answer ur question!

i WOULD use it but its broken!
What do you mean its broken?

aSwedishMagyar
Table Makers
Table Makers
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 am
Reputation: 776

Re: Search Feature

Post by aSwedishMagyar »

STN wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:00 pm
What do you mean its broken?
Don't bother, there's nothing wrong with it. These are the same people who can't find the password when it's directly below the download button.

CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Reputation: 140

Re: Search Feature

Post by CheatingMuppet »

xtwystx wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:54 pm
Hi all, new to the community and enjoying the content. Quick question, is there a way to search the forums for specific games? I've tried using the 'search' feature multiple times and have had little luck. There is so much content here I'm just looking for a better way to find the games I am playing without having to read every thread. Thanks in advance!
DezRoost wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:34 pm
Also like how a mod or Admin will say "use the search" next time when the answer ur question!

i WOULD use it but its broken!
You can try use google directly (or ddg or whatever search engine) and use
game name or other search terms site:fearlessrevolution.com
This gets around the forum implementation of google search if that's broken and won't load.

aSwedishMagyar wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:12 pm
STN wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:00 pm
What do you mean its broken?
Don't bother, there's nothing wrong with it. These are the same people who can't find the password when it's directly below the download button.
This is just ignorant ass kissing.
The search feature on this forum has been broken in the past and it's not a stretch to say that it might still be (or is again) broken right now for some people.

This type of post helps no one and can in fact hurt the community.
If you say it's not broken but it actually is broken for some people (even though it's working perfectly for you and maybe many more people) then you'd be misleading the admins making them think that everything is fine when it actually isn't.

Now, I don't know whether it's broken or not for anyone, but to tell the admins to ignore complaints and that "there's nothing wrong" and then go on to throw an insult is not a good way to handle people complaining about a potentially broken feature of the forum.

aSwedishMagyar
Table Makers
Table Makers
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 am
Reputation: 776

Re: Search Feature

Post by aSwedishMagyar »

CheatingMuppet wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:45 pm
aSwedishMagyar wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:12 pm
STN wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:00 pm
What do you mean its broken?
Don't bother, there's nothing wrong with it. These are the same people who can't find the password when it's directly below the download button.
This is just ignorant ass kissing.
The search feature on this forum has been broken in the past and it's not a stretch to say that it might still be (or is again) broken right now for some people.

This type of post helps no one and can in fact hurt the community.
If you say it's not broken but it actually is broken for some people (even though it's working perfectly for you and maybe many more people) then you'd be misleading the admins making them think that everything is fine when it actually isn't.

Now, I don't know whether it's broken or not for anyone, but to tell the admins to ignore complaints and that "there's nothing wrong" and then go on to throw an insult is not a good way to handle people complaining about a potentially broken feature of the forum.
Except for the fact that every time I've used it, it finds what I want. So what are YOU doing wrong that prevents you from getting it to work? Maybe what you're looking for isn't on the site.

You literally click the search button, type in what you want, and search for it. That's it.

"These are the same people who can't find the password when it's directly below the download button." is a 100% true statement, just look at any thread where someone has attached a zip-file and tell me I'm wrong.

Here is my proof with finding this literal post:

Image

CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Reputation: 140

Re: Search Feature

Post by CheatingMuppet »

aSwedishMagyar wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:52 pm
--snip--
You're assuming that it works for everyone just because it works for you.
This is not how software works.
Something can work perfectly forever for you and at the same time it can be broken for others and I think regardless if this is user error it's still worth digging into so that you can find out if it is indeed user error or if there's some bug that only affects some people.

The search feature working and being easy to use does not exclude it from having bugs.

Your statement is not 100% true.
Just because some people don't notice the zip password below the download button doesn't mean that the people that complain that the search feature isn't working are lying. How are you even connecting these two events ? Are you assuming that because they have a low post count they must be too stupid to find the password and to use the search feature properly or is there something that I'm missing here ?

All your screenshot reveals is that you know how to use the search feature and that the search feature is indeed working for you.
That doesn't disprove that it's broken for anyone else.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about search results not being found, obviously that can be a bad search algorithm or as you said the content doesn't exist.
I'm talking about the search feature not working at all, as in it doesn't display results even though you know the content exists (because you double checked) or simply nothing happens when you hit the search button or something else that clearly seems like a bug.

aSwedishMagyar
Table Makers
Table Makers
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 am
Reputation: 776

Re: Search Feature

Post by aSwedishMagyar »

CheatingMuppet wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:58 pm

You're assuming that it works for everyone just because it works for you.
This is not how software works.
Something can work perfectly forever for you and at the same time it can be broken for others and I think regardless if this is user error it's still worth digging into so that you can find out if it is indeed user error or if there's some bug that only affects some people.

The search feature working and being easy to use does not exclude it from having bugs.
Fair enough I wont argue that.
CheatingMuppet wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:58 pm

Your statement is not 100% true.
Just because some people don't notice the zip password below the download button doesn't mean that the people that complain that the search feature isn't working are lying. How are you even connecting these two events ? Are you assuming that because they have a low post count they must be too stupid to find the password and to use the search feature properly or is there something that I'm missing here ?
Not stupid, just lazy. Every single person that asks where the password is has a max of 2-3 posts, the only ones I have seen from anyone with more posts is when the uploader forgot to include it and adds it later. And this person complaining about the search function literally made an account just to complain about it not working (account made sept 29 2020, posted oct 1 2020). To me, that is the same kind of person who can't get off their ass and just TRY to make it work for themselves. Did they even bother to make some screen caps to show what was happening to help get it fixed? No, just "ITZ BROKEN FIX IT NOW".

It's the usual attitude that people seem to have when they ask questions on the internet which is: "I am too lazy to find a solution or help find one so I complain and tell people it's not working". Why the hell would anyone be patient with them when they can't be bothered to put in the most minimal effort on their end?

I am curious though, does it really not bother you that they didn't put together some info that would help? Things like: "I searched for X and nothing came up, here is the link and here is the screen cap of my search." Where do you even start with: "Search feature is broken" and nothing else?

Even when I was an idiot that didn't know anything (and I really haven't advanced much from that stage now) I still tried to make it easier for people to answer my questions by providing more info.

CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Reputation: 140

Re: Search Feature

Post by CheatingMuppet »

aSwedishMagyar wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:28 pm
I am curious though, does it really not bother you that they didn't put together some info that would help? Things like: "I searched for X and nothing came up, here is the link and here is the screen cap of my search." Where do you even start with: "Search feature is broken" and nothing else?

Even when I was an idiot that didn't know anything (and I really haven't advanced much from that stage now) I still tried to make it easier for people to answer my questions by providing more info.
Yes it bothers me quite a bit when people don't provide any information about a problem that they're having.
It's rude and just wastes time. I have a "provide information when I ask or gtfo" policy myself.

I am also bothered when people make rash assumptions, especially when there's potential for those assumptions to cause more harm than good.

Everyone was a low-poster at some point.
That doesn't equal being lazy.
This particular user may or may not have been lazy but even if that was the case, that's not my point.
They should be asked for more info. If they refuse then they get ignored (and hopefully perma banned if they still ask for help after that).
There's no need to leave rude messages.

The thing that bothered me so much about your post that made me want to reply was the attitude of telling someone who has the power to do something about a potential problem to ignore the potential problem with seemingly no proof of the problem not existing.

Let the admin make that choice themselves based on the information that they have.
If you feel the need to say that the search feature is working great for you then do that but don't bash the people that say that they are having problems with the search feature and it's just plain ignorant to tell the admin to ignore these people just because you aren't having any problems.

You literally added nothing to the discussion, it seems to me you might've just wanted to bash people.
How is that useful for anyone ?

Anyways. I've made my main point clear. The people bashing issue was a side thing that I thought I'd address because why not.

aSwedishMagyar
Table Makers
Table Makers
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 am
Reputation: 776

Re: Search Feature

Post by aSwedishMagyar »

CheatingMuppet wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 pm

The thing that bothered me so much about your post that made me want to reply was the attitude of telling someone who has the power to do something about a potential problem to ignore the potential problem with seemingly no proof of the problem not existing.
It works both ways, because until they prove there is problem there technically is none. It works for countless others and no evidence was provided to the contrary so why waste time hunting it down with no info. He literally said before that they didn't have the funds to make a better version so that's a good enough reason for me to not waste time with it.

What adds nothing to the conversation is pretending that that behavior (just saying to fix something) is something that isn't deserving of ridicule. Why should it not be common sense to provide helpful info and why should I (or anyone) have to waste time asking for it? Think about it instead of playing White Knight and defending what is essentially just lazy error reporting. If my comment to STN held any weight to what he would end up doing in the long run I'd control the site and that is clearly not the case.

Users are fully capable of collecting helpful data to help solve issues and they should consider it a requirement before complaining.

CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Reputation: 140

Re: Search Feature

Post by CheatingMuppet »

aSwedishMagyar wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:18 pm
CheatingMuppet wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 pm

The thing that bothered me so much about your post that made me want to reply was the attitude of telling someone who has the power to do something about a potential problem to ignore the potential problem with seemingly no proof of the problem not existing.
It works both ways, because until they prove there is problem there technically is none. It works for countless others and no evidence was provided to the contrary so why waste time hunting it down with no info. He literally said before that they didn't have the funds to make a better version so that's a good enough reason for me to not waste time with it.

What adds nothing to the conversation is pretending that that behavior (just saying to fix something) is something that isn't deserving of ridicule. Why should it not be common sense to provide helpful info and why should I (or anyone) have to waste time asking for it? Think about it instead of playing White Knight and defending what is essentially just lazy error reporting. If my comment to STN held any weight to what he would end up doing in the long run I'd control the site and that is clearly not the case.

Users are fully capable of collecting helpful data to help solve issues and they should consider it a requirement before complaining.
It's just as bad if not worse behavior than lazy error reporting.

In my opinion if someone says there's a problem, just ask for more info if you intend to look into the problem.
No one asked for that here but the admin did say funds were a problem, so essentially the issue cannot be fixed.
That's where this should've ended really. Ridiculing isn't gonna help anyone.

Btw, I wasn't white knighting the thread creator or anyone else in this thread.
I was simply objectively pointing out your flawed logic because it irked me.

As I have made my main point which you seem to have understood, this is where I will leave this discussion.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users