Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

Add topics here with methods, analysis, code snippets, mods etc. for a certain game that normally won't make it in the Tables or Requests sections.
SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

Post by SunBeam »

Kindly DO NOT POST this integrally (or the attachments) on other forums/communities (e.g.: Nexus). You may post a link to this topic instead (hopefully, FRF isn't blacklisted there). Same as you prefer those places, I prefer FRF and I made this specifically for this community! If you want to share the news, do send those users to FRF instead. Thank you for respecting my choice!

Hello folks.

Thought I'd drop by with some information about the game's Engine and other specifics which may make your lives easier (of those interested in reverse-engineering the game).

I initially thought the game will be using Foundation Engine, as the majority of the titles Nixxes has been involved with worked with that. But alas, it's a slightly different Engine, even though their signature launcher is still there:

Remember this?

Tell me they're not similar :P

First things first: a copy/back-up of the Steam executable, normalized to 0x140000000 ImageBase, so we all speak the same "language" and you can use it for later research. Especially since the game will most likely update several times in the future.

Spider-Man v1.812.1.0 | Steam executable: [Link]
(password: sunbeam)

Past that, I started looking into the executable itself, threw it in IDA, let it "simmer" for ~3hours and ran Class Informer over it. Then dumped the Names window to a text file, filtering by vftable word:

Then removed the header and changed tabs into ~ so I can process them easier in Lua and got this file: [Link].

!!-- NOTE THAT THE ADDRESSES IN THE LINK ABOVE WILL WORK FOR ONLY THE v1.812.1.0 EXECUTABLE FROM STEAM --!!

Then wrote this Lua script (you will have to adjust the folder names to yours):

Code: Select all

frm = getLuaEngine()
log = frm.mOutput
log.Color = '0x000000'
log.Font.Name = "Terminal"
log.Font.Size = 6
log.Font.Color = '1030655'

-- see if the file exists
function file_exists( file )
  local f = io.open( file, "rb" )
  if f then f:close() end
  return f ~= nil
end

-- get all lines from a file, returns an empty
-- list/table if the file does not exist
function lines_from( file )
  if not file_exists( file ) then return {} end
  lines = {}
  for line in io.lines( file ) do
    lines[ #lines + 1 ] = line
  end
  return lines
end

imageBaseFromIDA = 0x140000000
imageBase = getAddressSafe( process )

-- tests the functions above
local file_in = 'D:\\Games Analysis\\Spider-Man Remastered\\IDA_vftable_names.txt'
local lines = lines_from( file_in )
local file_out = io.open( 'D:\\Games Analysis\\Spider-Man Remastered\\lblRTTIFunctions.txt', 'w' )

-- print all lines
for k, v in pairs( lines ) do
  a, b = string.match( v, "(.*)~(.*)" )
  faddr = string.format( "0x%X", tonumber( b, 16 ) - imageBaseFromIDA + imageBase )
  fname = a
  --print( v )
  processMessages()
  t = string.format( "lbl %X,\"%s\"\n", faddr, fname )
  file_out:write( t )
end

file_out:write( "ret" )
file_out:close()
Which produces this file: [Link].

What is the above? It's a script you can now run in x64dbg which will apply labels to static addresses.

So now, in x64dbg, attached to game process, I paused the game in x64bdg, then loaded the script above (the last link) and ran it. There will be some pop-ups that some lines can't be executed (if a line exceeds 240 characters, x64dbg script window will split that line in 2), but at the end of the process, this is the result:

Spider-Man v1.812.1.0 | x64dbg database file: [Link]
(password: sunbeam)

How is all of this useful, you may ask? Well.. let's take a look at some string references:

And the function:

Although you don't have the function names available (there's no PDB file available), you do have a lot of names for the RTTI virtual functions/tables, so you can easily roam around the code while at it.

For example, if we were to look at @NomuNomu's script found here: viewtopic.php?p=262791#p262791 and set a breakpoint at his scanned-for location, we see this:

Happy messing around from here on ;)

BR,
Sun

amorrow28
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

Post by amorrow28 »

Holy crap. Dumb question, does this class informer work with the free version of IDA? I took a quick look at source forge and it says it needs IDA pro, but your screenshot doesn’t say pro.

Honestly I had no idea these programs existed, I spend all my time hunting for memory addresses the CE tutorial way. Finding memory structures like this would be amazing!