Halo Master Chief Collection: Why unknown scans miss values

Add topics here with methods, analysis, code snippets, mods etc. for a certain game that normally won't make it in the Tables or Requests sections.
Dread_Pony_Roberts
Table Makers
Table Makers

Halo Master Chief Collection: Why unknown scans miss values

Post by Dread_Pony_Roberts »

I know it's a bit late to mention this since MCC's been out for so long, but to be perfectly honest I forgot to post this.

The problem is that Cheat Engine 7.1 (can't speak for earlier versions but they're likely the same) has an issue that causes it to miss some values while scanning. Halo's plasma ammo seems to be the most effected by this. Cheat Engine 7.2 will include a patch that fixes this issue, and an early release of this version is on CE's patreon page.

I'll quote Dark Byte for anyone who wishes to know more details on what's causing the issue.
There is a bug in CE's scan routine that causes it to fail on 2GB+ memoryregions when doing an unknown initial value scan. (Signed size variable)

Normally games don't allocate chunks of memory in that size, but some emulators, and ported games (that likely have an emulator built-in) do, in which case when you do an unknown initial value scan, it won't find the value
If anyone wishes, I can help to find simple values for Halo 4 before my table's release, just don't expect me to find something difficult to find.
For games with this issue, it is possible to bypass this issue if you can find some common code effecting a value you can find and a value you can't find. A good example would be recoil or rapid fire for weapons.

EDIT: Now that Cheat Engine 7.2 is officially released this is no longer an issue.
Last edited by Dread_Pony_Roberts on Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rhark
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Halo Master Chief Collection: Why unknown scans miss values

Post by Rhark »

Well this certainly explains why I can't find the energy ammo in Halo 4, but could in all the others. Thanks for the explanation.

Update: Downloaded the 7.2 RC1 build and found the ability CD instantly.

q13allz420
Cheater
Cheater

Post by q13allz420 »

I need help with this topic. I honestly don't know what type of values to look for. I've done an unknown value search within halo mcc tyring to find simple things like clip and belt ammo with no luck. a little guidance would be appreciated tnx in advance.

Rhark
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Rhark »

q13allz420 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:11 am
I need help with this topic. I honestly don't know what type of values to look for. I've done an unknown value search within halo mcc tyring to find simple things like clip and belt ammo with no luck. a little guidance would be appreciated tnx in advance.
Turn Fast Scan off for starters, or you won't find anything. Set it to Byte and search whatever number your ammo is on-screen. Shoot some, reload and then search your new ammo value with "Next Scan". Keep doing this until you have a maximum of 8 addresses in your list.

Set one to 999 then go in-game, if the value has reverted back to the original then try the next, and repeat this until the value changes in-game (it should also change all the addreses that you found to the same number). This one will be your ammo address.

q13allz420
Cheater
Cheater

Post by q13allz420 »

Rhark wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:18 am
q13allz420 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:11 am
Turn Fast Scan off for starters, or you won't find anything. Set it to Byte and search whatever number your ammo is on-screen. Shoot some, reload and then search your new ammo value with "Next Scan". Keep doing this until you have a maximum of 8 addresses in your list.

Set one to 999 then go in-game, if the value has reverted back to the original then try the next, and repeat this until the value changes in-game (it should also change all the addreses that you found to the same number). This one will be your ammo address.
Thank you i figured it out I was doing exact value scan and when that failed I was searching for float values which also failed but I did find some basic addresses to start with. In Halo MCC the value for ammo is a huge number and I had to do an unknown Initial value search and kept decreasing the the value and rescanning. Thank you for your help.