Cheat Engine Download/Information

Help/Discussion/Bug reports/Requests etc. everything about the FearlessRevolution app goes here.
STN
Founder
Founder

Re: Cheat Engine Download/Information

Post by STN »

NotoiGamer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:57 pm
indeed. After downloading version 7.5, I had to reinstall Windows and delete everything. It's a virus and it makes Windows go completely crazy. It takes away your permissions to do anything.
You probably installed the bundled malware, cheat engine itself is clean. You can get the Patreon version which is free of bundleware for about 3$. It's not a bad deal considering the fun you can get out of Cheat Engine :D

NotoiGamer
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by NotoiGamer »

thanks for the advice. although I already ate the malware without prior notice :(

K17
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by K17 »

Hello,

I'm new here. I downloaded the cheat engine from the mirror link on the first post.
As soon as I tried to install it, my antivirus stopped it, and put the file in quarantine.
Just curious if anyone else detected a virus?

Send
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by Send »

K17 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:09 am
[Link]
Q:When the download finished my anti virus showed up it that it contained a virus!
A:Cheat Engine lets you manipulate any running program including administrator applications. It also allows you to use Cheat Tables you may have downloaded from less-reputable sources. These tables can contain scripts which can do anything Cheat Engine can (Modify applications, file access etc...) Because anti viruses do not wish to learn CE's scritping language, they just mark CE as being potantially dangerous (aka hacktool). But, as long as you download Cheat Tables from reputable sources, check that they don't contain dangerous code (.CT's are cleartext xml) you should be fine.

jonasbeckman
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by jonasbeckman »

The installer also contains advertisement though you can opt-out of actually installing anything like that, there used to be an archive download outside of the installer exe but I think the alternative now is a one-time Patreon donation and from there you can then download an ad-free installer.

That said Cheat-Engine itself is blocked by several anti-virus software solutions simply for being Cheat-Engine, Microsoft's own Windows Defender should not be having a problem with it for that reason however though User Access Control and other routines may still flag it or quarantine the file if not whitelisted.

Paul44
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by Paul44 »

^ It is also quite possible that CE - because of your AV intervening - did NOT install correctly. Iow uninstall, temporarily disable your AV, install CE and then re-enable again...

ps: for most AV, that should suffice in that launching CE thereafter should not trigger alarms anymore (perhaps a few exceptions aside). If it does, you'll need to exclude the CE root path via your AV
PS2: make sure to download CE from a thrustworthy website ofc !
=> I've installed CE vs via standard (CE forum) download back then, and followed #jonasbeckman instructions...

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN »

K17 wrote:
Hello,

I'm new here. I downloaded the cheat engine from the mirror link on the first post.
As soon as I tried to install it, my antivirus stopped it, and put the file in quarantine.
The setup mirror I linked in the first post is almost a decade ago and doesn't appear to run on my PC now so even if your antivirus didn't find any issue with it. it wouldn't have worked. I don't know what happened to the setup, it worked when I linked it.

Anyway, like others have said now you can only get the offers bundled public setup or get the "clean" Patreon version.

K17
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by K17 »

STN wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:52 pm
K17 wrote:
Hello,

The setup mirror I linked in the first post is almost a decade ago and doesn't appear to run on my PC now so even if your antivirus didn't find any issue with it. it wouldn't have worked. I don't know what happened to the setup, it worked when I linked it.

Anyway, like others have said now you can only get the offers bundled public setup or get the "clean" Patreon version.
OK, so the mirror is not working. Before, I tried to download from the off site link, but my FF browser give me a warning that it's a malware website.
I really don't want to infect my PC, I recently had to start over. So for the only "clean" version, I have to pay for the file?

Manji
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Manji »

or you just skip the adware in the installer. it's no rocket science.