How do updates work?

Help/Discussion/Bug reports/Requests etc. everything about the FearlessRevolution app goes here.
Csimbi
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

How do updates work?

Post by Csimbi »

Hiya guys,
if I see this right, from now on, instead of CTs, we download a dummy CT file, from which the FRF app guesses which table it should fetch from your servers.

I would like to understand how would updates work from a table maker's, from a contributor's or from a user's perspective in the future.

I, as a table maker upload a table. Fearless adds 1FR in front and hides the content.
In the past, I did not really do versioning of tables, I just deleted the old one and uploaded a new one.
Would that still work going forward? (Would the user always get the newest table or would the older versions be accessible, too?)

I know contributors sometimes like updating tables (even without giving credit).
How would they be updating the tables going forward? (considering FRF App does not expose the table in any way to the contributor).
How would I know they are supposed to be giving me that credit? (considering FRF App does not expose the table in any way to the table maker).

From a user's perspective, how is versioning handled?
Suppose someone wants to use an older version of a table (not matching the current version on the game)?
What about tables from different authors?
Suppose someone wants to genuinely learn from someone else's table? How is that possible going forward?

How are all these reconciled on the backend?
Any recommendations/guidelines for table makers and contributors going forward?

Thank you!

STN
Founder
Founder

Re: How do updates work?

Post by STN »

Csimbi wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:19 pm
I, as a table maker upload a table. Fearless adds 1FR in front and hides the content.
It's not automated. You have to do it yourself for the tables you wish to use the app on. It is automated for me and someone else who are sick and tired of other people profiting off our work that we shared here for free but it's a choice for the people who didn't express such wish of never wanting to expose their work.
Csimbi wrote:
In the past, I did not really do versioning of tables, I just deleted the old one and uploaded a new one.
Would that still work going forward? (Would the user always get the newest table or would the older versions be accessible, too?)
It depends on you. If you delete old tables and have new one uploaded, user would get the new table when they download it. If you have old tables still attached to the post and someone downloads those, they will get the old ones. The app doesn't automatically fetch newer or older versions, what user downloads is what the user gets.

If a table is deleted from server, user can't access it anymore.
Csimbi wrote:
I know contributors sometimes like updating tables (even without giving credit).
How would they be updating the tables going forward? (considering FRF App does not expose the table in any way to the contributor).
If you want to expose your tables, don't use the app. Just don't add 1FR to the table when you upload and it will be downloadable without the app. Others can view and add/modify as they like. It's entirely your decision if you want someone else to view your code or not.
Csimbi wrote:
From a user's perspective, how is versioning handled?
Suppose someone wants to use an older version of a table (not matching the current version on the game)?
It will all behave the same way as before and depend on your decision. If older version table exists on the server, they can download it and use it. The only difference right now is if you delete old tables from your post, they will become inaccessible provided you have opted in to the app with those.
Csimbi wrote:
What about tables from different authors?
Suppose someone wants to genuinely learn from someone else's table? How is that possible going forward?
There are very few people using the app voluntarily. It's not forced upon any table maker. So they can do the learning from the overwhelming majority who aren't using the app.
Csimbi wrote:
How are all these reconciled on the backend?
Any recommendations/guidelines for table makers and contributors going forward?
It's all seamless on user and table makers part. Just continue uploading as you did before and pretend like the app doesn't exist. The only difference is if you delete old tables from your post, the user can't access it.

Everything I said of course only applies to the people who told me they want to use the app. The rest are using the site as they did before.

Csimbi
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by Csimbi »

Hi STN,
thanks for the clarification.
So, if I want the table in the forum as well as the App, I attach it twice - once normally and once with the 1FR tag, right?

One more question:
If my HDD breaks, can I get my tables back somehow (the ones with the 1FR tag)?
Is this PM-based (I ask you super-nicely), or is there a tool planned?

Thank you!

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN »

Csimbi wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:16 pm
Hi STN,
thanks for the clarification.
So, if I want the table in the forum as well as the App, I attach it twice - once normally and once with the 1FR tag, right?
Yep. But I mean that beats the purpose of the app LOL. I actually wish you do either to save server resources rather than uploading both.
Csimbi wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:16 pm
One more question:
If my HDD breaks, can I get my tables back somehow (the ones with the 1FR tag)?
Is this PM-based (I ask you super-nicely), or is there a tool planned?

Thank you!
For sure. We can write a script like that but I think it would be just quicker if I hand them over manually. The app is employed by so few people that a script like that will be one time use and the complexity of it would feel like a waste of time.

Csimbi
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by Csimbi »

STN wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:03 pm
Yep. But I mean that beats the purpose of the app LOL. I actually wish you do either to save server resources rather than uploading both.
Indeed.
The way I intend to use it is that for old games that I plan not to support going forward, I post without the 1FR tag.
Meaning, anyone can go ahead, use the older tables for updating, learning, whatever they want - though I am not sure how claiming credits for these would work.
For tables that I plan on updating at some point, I include the 1FR tag so there is source control in place.
This should prevent the "competition" from "leveraging our work" for a good while.