Rebelicious
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

[REQ] Wasteland 3 - Save Editor or Save Packer/Unpacker

Post by Rebelicious »

Game Name: Wasteland 3.
Game Engine: Unity.
Game Version: 1.4.X
Options Required: Packing/unpacking of saves.
Steam Website:
Other Info: There used to be a savegame editor (viewtopic.php?p=151245#p151245) that could unpack/pack the savegames, but as of patch 1.4.0 and the new DLC that is coming with it, it no longer works, and immediately crashes upon use. The basic .xml files used for the saves come out garbled without unpacking, but once unpacked, can be edited extremely easily using any basic text-editor.

I personally feel like a "full editor" is largely unnecessary, and would be fine with just a way to pack/unpack the saves, but obviously a full update to the editor would be optimal, but the original creator seems to be in the wind and unlikely to update it.

gamerbong
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Re: [REQ] Wasteland 3 - Save Editor or Save Packer/Unpacker

Post by gamerbong »

I tried using a python script online to unpack the file, however the problem seems to be the fact that XLZF implementation in WL3 save files may have changed. I am not able to decompress the XML file. Has anyone been successful in doing this?

niedzwiedzwo2
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by niedzwiedzwo2 »

[Link]
I made it last evening, should work with future versions too. The python script you refer to had fixed number of lines in the header and here I check for them dynamically so should be more future proof.

Has anyone figured out how can I cancel endgame? I forgot to save the game before meeting Liberty, now I'm stuck in endgame mode and I cannot do sidequests...

niedzwiedzwo2
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by niedzwiedzwo2 »

Does anyone have a save game right before opening the door to liberty's HQ? I think I should be able to diff the 2 saves to figure out what exactly changes at that point

Mwitwa
Cheater
Cheater

Post by Mwitwa »

You can use saves from the nexus titled "New Game Plus" if you want to do experiments with the current patch, they were all made before Steeltown's Launch. Some of them are before you confront Liberty, others are at the start of the game.

and if you're not aware yet, the Save Editor has been "updated" to work for patch 1.4

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13511&start=210

But read the details for more info.
Last edited by Mwitwa on Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

niedzwiedzwo2
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by niedzwiedzwo2 »

Is there a source code for it? It doesn't work on linux, even through wine ;/

Athena
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by Athena »

Mwitwa wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:49 pm
You can use saves from the nexus titled "New Game Plus" if you want to do experiments with the current patch, they were all made before Steeltown's Launch. Some of them are before you confront Liberty, others are at the start of the game.

and if you're not aware yet, the Save Editor has been "updated" to work for patch 1.4

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13511&start=210

But read the details for more info.
its updated version of the original Save Editor however unpacking and repacking the XML the data will be still kinda mess up therefore the ingame loading menu can't seen to find it and when try editing the repacked version on the updated Save Editor the Editor will crash when trying to load the XML save

Mwitwa
Cheater
Cheater

Post by Mwitwa »

its updated version of the original Save Editor however unpacking and repacking the XML the data will be still kinda mess up therefore the ingame loading menu can't seen to find it and when try editing the repacked version on the updated Save Editor the Editor will crash when trying to load the XML save
Didn't find this issue and I've completed Steeltown twice while using the save editor for unpacking and repacking various information like status effects, skills, items etc. all while using saves from previous game patches.

Not saying the problem doesn't exist. The only time I encountered the error you're describing was when I tried to load a save from an old version of the game into the latest patch and it wouldn't load. The quickest way to fix this was just by packing the txt file into a different XML that worked in the latest patch (doesn't matter how far the playthrough is) and it worked for me.

as of this post, the "updated" version isn't really an update:
Here is a hacked version of the save editor using dnSpy. The problem with the algorithm was that it hardcoded the headers to 11 values. The new saves have 13. I changed it to validate the string and not have hard coded list. Seems to work. There are hardcoded lists in the editor so new things in DLC could be an issue.
So the main reason you might be getting that issue is because it's not really an updated version by the author, hence why non of the DLC content is included, but I have added the txt dump for it on the same page.

I do hope it's updated officially some day though, but this is what we have for now.

Athena
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by Athena »

Mwitwa wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:37 am
Didn't find this issue and I've completed Steeltown twice while using the save editor for unpacking and repacking various information like status effects, skills, items etc. all while using saves from previous game patches.

Not saying the problem doesn't exist. The only time I encountered the error you're describing was when I tried to load a save from an old version of the game into the latest patch and it wouldn't load. The quickest way to fix this was just by packing the txt file into a different XML that worked in the latest patch (doesn't matter how far the playthrough is) and it worked for me.

as of this post, the "updated" version isn't really an update:
Here is a hacked version of the save editor using dnSpy. The problem with the algorithm was that it hardcoded the headers to 11 values. The new saves have 13. I changed it to validate the string and not have hard coded list. Seems to work. There are hardcoded lists in the editor so new things in DLC could be an issue.
So the main reason you might be getting that issue is because it's not really an updated version by the author, hence why non of the DLC content is included, but I have added the txt dump for it on the same page.

I do hope it's updated officially some day though, but this is what we have for now.
How do you pack the txt file into a different XML that worked in the latest patch ? sorry I am noob at this XML thing ... I just know using the Advanced packing system in that Save Editor
Thanks for your help by the way

GarmaSword
Cheater
Cheater

Post by GarmaSword »

niedzwiedzwo2 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:24 am
[Link]
I made it last evening, should work with future versions too. The python script you refer to had fixed number of lines in the header and here I check for them dynamically so should be more future proof.

Has anyone figured out how can I cancel endgame? I forgot to save the game before meeting Liberty, now I'm stuck in endgame mode and I cannot do sidequests...
That was not made for people like me, who knows nothing about programming, is there an easy way to do that? because i understand nothing on how to use this lol