We're giving away Borderlands 3 gift key. Click here!

Misinformations regarding the use of CE and trainers?

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
Aug_San
Noobzor
Noobzor

Misinformations regarding the use of CE and trainers?

Post by Aug_San » Wed May 08, 2019 4:07 pm

I've recently been reading about consequences in using CE or trainers in games, and I've been reading lots of people telling stuff that I trully believe are straight up misinformation (some probably intentionally).

Here are some examples:
1- You cannot use cheats in the campaing of some games like CoD Black Ops III, cause when you come back online you will get banned.
2- Most cheats sticks to your computer and contain viruses, so you have to format your system in order to remove it.
3- You will never get banned for playing single player games using cheats!
(if any of these are true, please tell me and explain why)

That's how I understand it really works:

1- You should not cheat in single player campaings or any kind of solo mode if they're still connected to a server, cause that would be risky, and depending on the game would definitely detect the CE or trainer and ban you. But if you're playing offline (literally without being connected to the game server), you should be fine. You might also want to avoid applying cheats that gives you a permanent condition, cause those could be detected when coming back online. In these cases, you can add a firewall rule to block the game connection just to be sure you're playing it offline, but if the game does not load it is because the connection is obligatory.

2- I don't know what kind of cheats people are downloading, but reliable sources of reliable trainers (such as Fling) and CE downladed from the official website should be totally safe, virus-free, and all you need to deactivate them is literally close the game and close the cheat application.

3- It doesn't matter much if you're playing a Single Player game. What does matter is if the game connects or not to a server, being it SP or MP. Some single player games may connect to the internet for various reasons, as for example creating a leaderboard, and they can use an anti-cheat system and get you banned.

So, what else have you read or listened people saying about cheats, that sounds bullshit, and why? I believe we could share some light about this regard, cause some anti-cheat troops really go a long way to convince people not to use CE or trainers in their own games, even in SP only games that would not affect an online community.
Last edited by Aug_San on Wed May 08, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rysefox
Table Makers
Table Makers

Re: Misinformations regarding the use of CE and trainers?

Post by Rysefox » Wed May 08, 2019 4:20 pm

Aug_San wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:07 pm
I trully believe are straight up misinformation

2- Most cheats sticks to your computer and contain viruses, so you have to format your system in order to remove it.

2- I don't know what kind of cheats people are downloading, but reliable sources of reliable trainers (such as Fling) and CE downladed from the official website should be totally safe, virus-free, and all you need to deactivate them is literally close the game and close the cheat application.
"I trully believe are straight up misinformation" I do not think. Point 2 is a good point. You have to be careful when downloading CE tables or something else. It can always happen that a small virus is present. But if you said that if you download something from forum.cheatengine.org or fearlessrevolution.com, you can be sure that it is not a virus. When you download something from a stranger site, not from the official you can get a virus

Aug_San
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by Aug_San » Wed May 08, 2019 4:29 pm

Rysefox wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:20 pm
Aug_San wrote:
I trully believe are straight up misinformation

"I trully believe are straight up misinformation" I do not think. Point 2 is a good point. You have to be careful when downloading CE tables or something else. It can always happen that a small virus is present. But if you said that if you download something from forum.cheatengine.org or fearlessrevolution.com, you can be sure that it is not a virus. When you download something from a stranger site, not from the official you can get a virus
While I agree that it can happen, what I believe is quite misinformed is the statement that "most" cheats would contain viruses. I mean... is it really the case? Or it is a matter of where or whom you download them? For everything in the internet you musth search a reliable source, you should not just jump straight into a youtube comment saying "Cheats for GTA V here" with a strange link you know nothing about. The way I usually read this statement, seems like a way to make people fear downloading trainers and Cheat Engine.

What I want to say is that, usually, the problem is not the cheat application, but the source where you acquired it. And this rules applies not just to cheat applications, but everything else downloadable over the internet, even popular programs that are widely used and accepted.

TheyCallMeTim13
Administration
Administration

Post by TheyCallMeTim13 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:37 pm

Aug_San wrote:
1.) I'll start with I don't play a lot online; but I've never been banned from a game, and I use CE all the time.

2.a) "Most cheats sticks to your computer": This is kinda true, processes can often remain in RAM. It's really only cleared when you overwrite the memory or power is cut to the RAM cips, this is to cut down on unnecessary writes to the RAM. So just close everything and reboot your computer, and this will clear the RAM. The biggest reason I've seen for banning is simply being an asshole, and second would be running hacks in online PvP games.
2.b) "and contain viruses, so you have to format your system in order to remove it": Basically all trainers will get flagged by an AV at some point; it's because of the way they work, they literally hack other processes and have persistent key readers for hotkeys which doesn't look good to any AV. But in most cases this is just a false positive, and you should be fine. Just do some googling and see if there are other false positives with the same ID/name. But seeing the AV flag it tends to really freak people out.
But as with any program; if you can't see the source code, you're placing a lot of trust in who ever wrote it. So trainers should only come from trusted sites/authors, and Fling is definitely a good source for trainers.
But cheat tables are just XML files; so you can actually open them in a text editor before opening them in CE, and I do this with any CT that I didn't create.
Plus there is malicious code that hacks the bootloader (Wikipedia.org - rootkit) so you'd have to replace or reflash the boot chips and this tends to just mean you'd need to buy a new motherboard, but this kind of thing is rare and requires a lot of skill and knowledge to create. And fileless malware is a fun topic as well (Wikipedia.org - Fileless malware). So it just depends on the malware itself and how it was set up.

3.) Best advice is. If it's online where you play with other random people, don't cheat. If your playing SP you should be fine, plus if it's SP only there's really nothing but leaderboards and achievements to be banned from. Just always reboot before going online to play with others, even if you only might have ran CE.

One thing to keep in mind is that to hide how the AC works, companies often wait to do banning. So just because you did something yesterday, if you get banned it's most likely something you did last week that lead to the ban. Also know that the dev's often play their games, and will have admin rights; so you never know who you're playing with, and if you're an asshole you might get banned that same day/night. And some companies are now implementing voice recognition on servers to detect hate speech, and this will flag you for review and even auto-ban in some cases.

And if you're worried about malicious code, try to stick to CTs and trusted trainer authors. And I'll say that I only use CTs, I'm just not a fan of trainers in general.
CE wiki - Tutorials CE wiki - Auto Assembler Basics - CE wiki - Lua Basics If it's not a Personal Message don't PM me, use the forum. I ignore PMs that should be asked on the forum.