Cheat Engine Crash(ish) on Value Change

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
theAssassino72
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by theAssassino72 »

Hi, I'm pretty new to Cheat Engine, and I've been trying to use some cheat tables with Dark Souls III. However, every time I double click an entry to change anything (description, value, etc.), and the dialogue box comes up, Cheat Engine starts acting like it's in slow motion, and I can't click to confirm or cancel the dialogue, so I end up having to force close Cheat Engine. Dark Souls in fine and doesn't crash at all during this. The only way I've been able to change values is if they're numerical and allow an "enter, type, enter" change, rather than open a separate dialogue, but I can't do this with a lot of values. Please tell me if I'm doing something dumb.

My process so far has been as such:

Open Dark Souls III from Steam

Load up character

Alt-tab to Desktop

Open "DaS3Challenge A1.15 R1.35 Jojo.CT" table

Open DSIII process in Cheat Engine

Double click anything to try to change it

Cheat Engine panics

Force close Cheat Engine

TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by TimFun13 »

Does this happen with just CE (say doing the tutorial), or only with the CT you're using.

theAssassino72
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by theAssassino72 »

[QUOTE="ShyTwig16, post: 45076, member: 91"]Does this happen with just CE (say doing the tutorial), or only with the CT you're using.[/QUOTE]

I haven't done the tutorial, but it's happened with both this table and another table I've used for Dark Souls I. I can edit searched values without a problem when I'm not using a table, if that's what you mean.

bonzay0
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by bonzay0 »

Sounds like something is interfering with the CE.

I also read at Jojo post that he suggest trying CE 6.6 for his table.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

Open CE Tutorial, do the first level (finding health). Double-click found address and try to change value. If CE doesn't crash, then it's your table depending on some Lua crap in the background (I've seen how the DS3 tables look and work; all based on some convoluted Lua logic).

TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by TimFun13 »

Yeah I too am betting, it's some Lua causing it. You might be surprised to see what some bad Lua can do, just last night a "setFocus" called in the wrong spot and CE would not even open, and I've had CE lock up due to a bad script I was trying. And my tables have a lot of "convoluted" Lua and some how no one has said that to me, so SB actually saying it about this table makes me wounder.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

I've been involved in some DS3 disputes with people trying to update one's work, then taking that to a whole different level (like scratching left ear with right hand), just cuz they thought it would look cooler. Hearing of the crashes now makes me think that's the cause :) CE alone doesn't crash on normal find/replace.

theAssassino72
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by theAssassino72 »

Alright, tried the table with 6.6. Still freaked out. Then, didn't use a table, just searched for and changed my health value, and that worked totally fine. So I guess it's the Lua scripts.

[automerge]1525813263[/automerge]

And the thing is, it's not just some specific scripts, it's all scripts which change a value via a dialogue box, both in this CT and every other CT I've tried. Where do I start to figure out how to make these scripts work?
Last edited by theAssassino72 on Tue May 08, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

Where's this table? Can you attach it here? I cannot find it on FRF.
Last edited by SunBeam on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

theAssassino72
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by theAssassino72 »

I’m away right now, but I can post it when I get back in a couple hours.

theAssassino72
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by theAssassino72 »

"DaS3Challenge A1.15 R1.35 Jojo.CT" is the most recent one I've been using with Dark Souls III, but "Dark Souls - Prepare to Die Edition.CT", used with Dark Souls 1 is another table I've used in the past week which has the exact same problem. Both are the newest versions of their respective tables as far as I've been able to tell.

TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by TimFun13 »

"DaS3Challenge A1.15 R1.35 Jojo.CT":

Well, I think I saw a function for signed values, instead of just using "readInteger(addr, true)"; for starters. And a couple of the scripts look like processor killers to me. Plus it looked like if any of 100+ addresses are wrong then there is no telling what is going to happen; there didn't seem to be any checks in place.

"Dark Souls - Prepare to Die Edition.CT":

This one looks pretty standard, but it has a lot of code with no checks so if stuff has changed (or is just different on your computer), then it's hard to say what is going on.

Try this table for the 64 bit CE tutorial. The address is for step 8, just click the "change value" button to populate the base.
Last edited by TimFun13 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.