Can’t find pointers

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
HeyitsKaizen
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Can’t find pointers

Post by HeyitsKaizen »

This may not be the right place, but I recently downloaded Cheat Engine and found codes for some games. However, I can't figure out how to save them. I've seen videos telling me to create a pointer, close the game, reopen it, then find the code again, then create a pointer again, then compare. However this doesn't work for me because all I get pointer path 0 and on top of that some of the games have multiple codes and don't feel like opening closing opening closing the game, and the videos I find confuse the shit out of me and I've done everything they say to do but I cannot get this right. so yeah I need help bad

MrBaldy
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Re: Can’t find pointers

Post by MrBaldy »

I'm not super experienced but here's my 2 cents... Sometimes it depends on the game, is it 32 or 64 bit? Make sure when you are trying to find valid pointers that you do the final POINTER SCAN on the current address/value you are needing, which you should have found again, "pointer scan for this address" it, then compare with your POINTER MAPS (which are the generated scans when you select "Generate pointer map for this address" that you made earlier by exiting the game, rescanning, etc). And make sure you are selecting the correct addresses for that pointer map.

Other than that there are some options in the pointer scan settings that can help but I'm not too familiar with changing those other than levels just make sure not to go too crazy. However I've always have had issues with my pointers becoming invalid down the road so I would suggest learning scripting. There are easier games to practice on, and I've learned everything from videos and forums, so, keep hacking :)

MrBaldy
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by MrBaldy »

It's also not the only way to find pointers:

Personally I like CheatTheGame's videos, RIP. Keep looking around!

HeyitsKaizen
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by HeyitsKaizen »

I have tried multiple games so not sure which was 32 or 64 bit but for example lets say I want to get infinite Gil for Final Fantasy XIII I scan for the value find it then I generate pointer map after I am told to check the whole what access this address which could give me multiple addresses for example it could give me 00000000 00 00 0000000 - mov ecx [eax+00000000] or something similar but different thing in [] don't know what to look for then they say close game and restart it do the same process compare pointermap with each other nothing comes up

HeyitsKaizen
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by HeyitsKaizen »

I meant to ask can you set cheat engine to scan in 32 or 64 bit or it just depends on the game and how do you figure out mov [edx+ecx+0B],al this game I'm trying to do has that as an instruction how do I figure thus out?

Rhark
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Rhark »

HeyitsKaizen wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:16 am
I meant to ask can you set cheat engine to scan in 32 or 64 bit or it just depends on the game and how do you figure out mov [edx+ecx+0B],al this game I'm trying to do has that as an instruction how do I figure thus out?
The 32/64bit registers just depend on the game itself. Scanning with CE will find the values and the code will use 32bit or 64bit registers.

The last part isn't very clear, what do you mean "how do I figure this out"? What are you trying to figure out?

HeyitsKaizen
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by HeyitsKaizen »

The game I'm trying to do has this as its instruction

Proteus.exe+5E54E:
005BE544 - 8A 44 24 08 - mov al,[esp+08]
005BE548 - 81 E2 FF070000 - and edx,000007FF
005BE54E - 88 44 0A 0B - mov [edx+ecx+0B],al <<
005BE552 - C2 0800 - ret 0008
005BE555 - CC - int 3

EAX=005BE519
EBX=00016244
ECX=106EED70
EDX=0000006A
ESI=00000000
EDI=106EED70
EBP=10498AE8
ESP=004FFA84
EIP=005BE552

what do I need to look for because there is 3 things in the [] and I'm guessing 0B is the offset? I can't figure what is right and supposedly when you go to more info they give you a possible address which for this game its 106EED70 which is suppose to be the same address I found when I scanned but mine is different mine says 106EEDE5