Use cheat engine on Steam Deck

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
eternien
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Use cheat engine on Steam Deck

Post by eternien »

Hi, so i have the Steam Deck since monday and test it a little, for the moment i manage to get emulation on it by following some Youtube tutorials
Now i want to use Cheat Engine on Steam Deck and i'm wonder how to do that, because the least simple thing to do on Windows seems like a whole battle on the SteamOs :lol:
Is it even possible to have CE on it ?
And if yes, a video tutorial or a written guide with screenshot showing how to do it, will be appreciated.
Thanks

Cas
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Use cheat engine on Steam Deck

Post by Cas »

If you're really desperate, CH advertises cheat engine to be working for Steam Deck.

beguiler
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by beguiler »

I haven't tried it myself, but there is something called SteamTinkerLaunch that you can use to run cheat engine with games (and other things like ReShade). Last time I checked there was a flatpak you can install from the desktop but it doesn't work properly with cheat engine and to get it to work you have to pull the source and build it on the deck to get it to run. Just remember that the tables here only work for the windows version of the games. So if you install a game like Hollow Knight in steam, it installs the native Linux binary not the windows version so the table here for it most likely will not work. Also it didn't work well in game mode it had issues that didn't happen in desktop mode.

MBRKiNG
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by MBRKiNG »

there is a plugin loader called DeckyLoader use Plugin Memory Deck it works like CE for simple values only.
search values during gameplay with steam deck directly. other soulution is ceserver-linux

pluginloader home with install instructions
[Link]

memory deck source
[Link]

kerelenko
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by kerelenko »

It will be excellent if CheatEvolution works on the Steam Deck.
With SteamTinkerLaunch, we can run a stand-alone trainer along with a game.

beguiler
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by beguiler »

So I finally got around to running CE on Steam Deck, but for a particular game I can't get it to work. Dragon Dogma Dark Arisen (DDDA.exe). It can see the process via the attach button, but it cannot see the process via memory view or with the CT. For example if you open memory view in the disassembly window it says 0x400000. But that should say at DDDA.exe+0 or some offset. And that is where the problem is, the CT are all done via aobscan(DDDA.exe ....) but CE cannot find DDDA.exe. It's a really weird issue. I tried selecting the CE executable process and that one does properly show the .exe+offset in the memory view disassembly window. So I am kind of stuck as to how to fix this. Anyone have any ideas?

FYI I did try a different game (Sifu) and that seems to work fine. I have also tried CE v7.4 and 7.5

To get CE running on deck (at least in desktop mode) it's not difficult. Just go through the protonQT and add steamtinkerlaunch to it. Just as a side note, I recommend STL < v12. I had issues with v12 not running CE in desktop mode. Also I haven't been able to run CE in game mode because I couldn't actually switch to another window to get to CE and enable anything. Might be a config issue that I can work around but I got stuck with the above problem.

Edit: Couldn't figure out a way to fix it so I modified the table to work with the game in proton on deck (only in desktop mode though). In case you want to know how I did it. I changed all the aobscanmodule calls to aobscanregion calls. Since I noticed that the game under proton always seemed to load the game at address 00400000. I just set the region to scan to be from 00400000 to 00400000+filesize of exe. Now the table seems to work.

Geo Lentio
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by Geo Lentio »

Sorry for necroposting, but i have question: how to fix pointers?
They are broken for every table i try and also when i see tutorials and guides it also broken. They are just showing " ? " instead results.
When i manually scan for this values it work.