can i delete ceregreset.exe

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
cns00
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

can i delete ceregreset.exe

Post by cns00 »

i noticed that ceregreset.exe in cheat engine 7.4 has been detected as a virus on my laptop. i uploaded the file to virustotal.com to check it. [Link] is the report. as you can see a lot of virus scanners said that the file is a virus. i know that it's a false positive and it's not a real virus and it's used to reset the cheat engine settings in the registry

i did some tests. i deleted ceregreset.exe and i ran cheat engine 7.4 and i loaded a cheat table. it worked ok with the game and there were no issues

does that mean that i can use cheat engine without ceregreset.exe just as long as i dont want to reset the cheat engine settings in the registry?

LeFiXER
LeFixer
LeFixer

Re: can i delete ceregreset.exe

Post by LeFiXER »

It would have been easier to just set an exclusion with your anti-virus software; that way when Cheat Engine needs to reset the settings upon a new installation, it won't affect CE's functionality. The file is perfectly safe, which is as you said it is used to reset the settings within the registry. Anti-virus software is showing it's a virus because it's not the user that is making the changes but an executable and therefore believes it to be malicious — it's not malicious in any way.

cns00
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by cns00 »

LeFiXER wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:59 am
that way when Cheat Engine needs to reset the settings upon a new installation, it won't affect CE's functionality
i dont understand what you mean by that. how exactly is that file used?

also please answer my question. will cheat engine work ok without that file?

LeFiXER
LeFixer
LeFixer

Post by LeFiXER »

cns00 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:50 am
LeFiXER wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:59 am
that way when Cheat Engine needs to reset the settings upon a new installation, it won't affect CE's functionality
i dont understand what you mean by that. how exactly is that file used?

also please answer my question. will cheat engine work ok without that file?
I mean that, when you go to install an updated version of Cheat Engine. The installer prompts the user whether they want to reset the settings. If the user selects to reset the settings then Cheat Engine uses ceregreset.exe to do that. If you delete it, then install an update and wish to reset Cheat Engine settings, you can no longer do it because the file responsible for committing that action is no longer there.

I did answer your question in my previous comment that if you delete the file it does affect the functionality. You could, of course, restore functionality by re-installing Cheat Engine, but like I said, it's better to just exclude it from your anti-virus given that the file is perfectly safe. The reason it is being flagged, as previously mentioned, is because it makes changes to the registry upon execution thus the anti-virus software thinks it's malicious because the changes made, aren't made by the user.

cns00
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by cns00 »

LeFiXER wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:58 am
I mean that, when you go to install an updated version of Cheat Engine. The installer prompts the user whether they want to reset the settings. If the user selects to reset the settings then Cheat Engine uses ceregreset.exe to do that. If you delete it, then install an update and wish to reset Cheat Engine settings, you can no longer do it because the file responsible for committing that action is no longer there.
is this the only way that the file is used and the file won't be used after the setup completes?

assume that first i uninstall the old version and then i install the new version and i dont reset the settings. i can use the new version without that file in the program folder?

LeFiXER
LeFixer
LeFixer

Post by LeFiXER »

That's the only way the file will be used, unless you download something that happens to execute that file which is very unlikely given that all it does is reset the settings for Cheat Engine. I'm not sure why you're so hung up about deleting the file when it is completely safe; although, yes you can still use Cheat Engine. Just note that if you wish to revert settings because you borked something, you won't be able to reset the settings without using an in-depth uninstaller tool to remove all traces of Cheat Engine prior to re-installing.

Eric
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by Eric »

You can delete it. You just need to use windows regedit to delete the cheat engine registry yourself when you have to. (e.g when the window positions get out of your desktop range and their positions get saved)

Here's the sourcecode: [Link]
Be sure to wear virus shielding goggles when watching the sourcecode, you may or may not get aids from looking at it