trouble finding pointers in FTL: Multiverse 5.0

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
flaillomanz
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

trouble finding pointers in FTL: Multiverse 5.0

Post by flaillomanz »

Hi,

I've wanted to learn how to do basic pointermap scans for a while now. After following a tutorial on the process, I seem to be hitting a brick wall and I'm not sure if it's because i'm screwing something up in the process or if the game's programming is the issue.

Given i'm still new to pointers it is likely i am doing something wrong. Would someone be able to assist?

Just in case it is pertinent, the game is FTL: Multiverse 5.0 (a hard coded mod for the game Faster Than Light on GoG) and it is very easy to find and confirm the addresses of various things, but these are not static, and will change when restarting the game, which can be an issue if I raise reactor power above 30 and jump into a nebula, which hard crashes and can corrupt or delete the save. They all have consistent offsets afaik.

I started by generating a pointer map after finding one of these addresses, restarted the game, generated a pointermap for the new value, and tried to do a pointermap comparison searching for just pointers with the offset they shared, but it immediately comes back with no results at all. If anyone has any resources that might help a newbie out please let me know, i've seen a dozen tutorials covering three different methods and this was the first one that i really felt i was close to understanding. I feel like i might have checked or unchecked something important but i just don't know.

ShyTwig16
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: trouble finding pointers in FTL: Multiverse 5.0

Post by ShyTwig16 »

If the scan has no results then you need to increase the offset size and/or the max. level.

The other option is to use code injection and what called an "injection copy" method. Basically you copy the base address of something and create your own pointer.