Revisiting an old classic: Diablo II

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
Empyrial
Noobzor
Noobzor

Revisiting an old classic: Diablo II

Post by Empyrial »

Hello all, I decided to apply some new skills and some new ideas to try and understand a bit more about debugging and program execution.

I decided to try it on an older, more explored game, diablo 2. From the modding sites, I have a full list of functions and things that I want to explore and learn about myself. I'm struggling, however, on the most basic of all things - opening the right process.

For those who don't know, Diablo II.exe links a few DLLs, then it spawns a child process, Game.exe, and that carries the rest of the game. I want to access a function on load of Game.exe in a loaded dll (D2Common.dll) and print the values of the parameters of the function call. In order to do this, of course, I need to breakpoint the location of that function (Ordinal10496) before it is executed, then run a lua script to grab the parameters and print them off.

But I can't even launch Game.exe itself without it immediately crashing. Is there a way to set a script or something to break immediately upon dll load? that would be the best way I think.

Thanks!