Cancelling Searches

Anything Cheat Engine related, bugs, suggestions, helping others, etc..
Sigan
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Cancelling Searches

Post by Sigan »

One of the things I dislike about CE is cancelling a search that I realized, once started, was too huge and not as efficient.

For instance, search for a float value of 0 in almost any game. Sometimes, this is a great place to start with a search, but the results will be in the hundreds of millions for the first search, and then the second search will also take some processing time.

Cancelling the searches midway through has usually got a huge delay, which makes the cancellation somewhat pointless.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there some hardware limitation that prevents these cancellations from being instant and deleting the results from the temp directory it creates?

ShyTwig16
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Cancelling Searches

Post by ShyTwig16 »

I think it's just a windows thing, canceling multiple threads doesn't tend to go so well. If you need to scan for first scan with a value of zero, you're better of starting with a unknown initial value scan. You can do an exact value scan for zero latter if possible. This tends to be a lot faster.

Sigan
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Sigan »

Oooh I didn't realize. Thank you for that. I'm doing some work on Exanima and I'm trying to find the boolean value or the float value for night vision/nv radius. The goal would be to either just have permanent night vision with any helmet, and/or extend the radius through an adjustment.

Finding boolean values is annoying... Thank you for your response. Have a great day!

ShyTwig16
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by ShyTwig16 »

Sigan wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:00 am
Oooh I didn't realize. Thank you for that. I'm doing some work on Exanima and I'm trying to find the boolean value or the float value for night vision/nv radius. The goal would be to either just have permanent night vision with any helmet, and/or extend the radius through an adjustment.

Finding boolean values is annoying... Thank you for your response. Have a great day!
The main thing to keep in mind is boolean values can be compiled in a lot of ways. Most games will just use bytes to store them, others will use dwords, and I've only seem a few that actually store it as a bit. And it's not always 0/1, some times they are set up more like a Flag even though it only has 2 values. So if you are still not having any luck, try unknown initial value and changed/unchanged. You can use unchanged after flipping back and forth to see if it's always the same value for true/false, and compare to first scan to check this as well.

Sigan
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Sigan »

Yeah. I usually will do that as a last resort to find what I'm hoping to find. However, that's so involved for my wired-potato, it's a bit more time consuming than I have patience for, in most cases. In this particular case, Exanima is also coded a bit different, it feels like, than a lot of other games. I mean, they've all got their unique methods and sometimes reverse booleans are possible too. Like, maybe it's a 1 when there is no night vision, for some reason. In this case, I don't think it's like that, but that's where I'm looking at this and hoping to either find it another way, or to just suffer through the game without *every* cheat that I would prefer.

Don't be fooled by my title on the left. I'm an amateur. If I have Mono access, I do a lot of stuff, but my code is still missing things. Since I'm a bit uneducated in the field - excepting my own self-education - I'm somewhat stabbing in the dark, sometimes.

Though, I have found some of my most fun cheats that way, too... LoLz.

Thank you for your input. I look forward to any and all instruction and advice, from anyone on here.