Finding methods outside mono

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
Sigan
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Finding methods outside mono

Post by Sigan »

So, I watched a few Stephen Chapman (a.k.a. SneakyMofo) videos on YouTube, and he covered how to open the mono features in Cheat Engine and open each method and find things without having to do searches. It also showed each offset and what they were labeled as within the game code. I'm wondering, in the event that the game doesn't allow those mono features (Ark Survival Evolved, for example), is there an equivalent way to open up the game code and break it down so that I can write codes that rely on pointers to methods rather than AOB scans? As well, searching for a code changing is great, but those mono features are really helpful when it's something that doesn't change often and it's likely located near another code that does.

Sigan
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Finding methods outside mono

Post by Sigan »

Does anyone understand my question? Did I post this in the wrong place?

DrummerIX
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by DrummerIX »

I believe those functions are only available for Unity based games or .net games where code is easily decompiled to known libraries.

Sigan
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Sigan »

Well, that makes sense. But... I just don't know how to decompile the game and, I'd like to. Any ideas on how to do that?

panraven
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by panraven »

mono game is similar to dotnet game that they ship with CIL-bytecode assembly file (may be embeded and/or encrypted) which jit to native code in runtime.
It is these CIL-bytecode assembly file can be decompiled by a cil decompiler, for example, JustDecompile/.NET Reflector/jetBrain dotPeek/ilspy(?) etc.
In mono case, these assembly file are mostly dll file located at folder xxxx_Data\Managed, where the game-logic mainly found in Assembly-CSharp.dll.

You said Game Ark not allow (CE?) mono feature, are you sure it is a mono game?
mono game use the mono library to jit the cil bytecode, CE mono feature rely on these mono library api call.
But Unity game now also can build as native code exe (search il2cpp, result exe should just like any c compiled game) where no more il-bytecode content that can be decompiled, and for that the non-cil build unity game don't use mono library, so no ce mono feature.
There are probably still with limited metadata, may be it can be a hint to the function name reference, but I'll doubt as powerful as CE mono feature.

Bloodybone
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by Bloodybone »

Well you can't use mono features in Ark but you can use Enumerate DLL's and Symbols. Open Memory Viewer click onto view and then Enumerate DLL's and Symbols then in your case ark click on the upper most entry called Shootergame.exe and there are some names of the functions. You can also double click on one to go to the start of the function.