Free camera for Kuro no Kiseki CLE

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
misterwashimashi
Cheater
Cheater

Re: Free camera for Kuro no Kiseki CLE

Post by misterwashimashi »

Nice! Thank you again for the hard work man.

All the new features are working fine. But I've found one issue, and I believe that it is already present even in the previous beta versions, I can't believe I didn't get to discover this sooner despite how easy it is to trigger, my bad. When I use Crafts in combat that has special cutscenes in them, CE will fail to recognize the coordinates again and the freecam will become immovable until the Crafts cutscenes are finished.

An unrelated question though, I was wondering if it is possible to remove the depth of field during cutscenes using CE..? So the freecam can be freely moved around without the background getting blurred, same goes for Hajimari.

amorrow28
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by amorrow28 »

misterwashimashi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:12 am

All the new features are working fine. But I've found one issue, and I believe that it is already present even in the previous beta versions, I can't believe I didn't get to discover this sooner despite how easy it is to trigger, my bad. When I use Crafts in combat that has special cutscenes in them, CE will fail to recognize the coordinates again and the freecam will become immovable until the Crafts cutscenes are finished.

An unrelated question though, I was wondering if it is possible to remove the depth of field during cutscenes using CE..? So the freecam can be freely moved around without the background getting blurred, same goes for Hajimari.
You're welcome!

I've known about the cutscene camera lock, but I don't yet know of a workaround. The game engine stops reading from the camera coordinates entirely during a cutscene, which makes it much harder to track down than in Falcom's older games where it would just forcibly overwrite the values. I'm not really even sure where to start tracing. I may try to go back and address this later, but not right now, I'm pretty burned out. There's a workaround if you want to see something from a specific angle (I think): freeze the action using the force pause, wait for the game to give you control back, then position the camera. It's not perfect, but it seemed to work for me.

In terms of the background blurring, I imagine it should be removable by CE, but again, I don't know how. There must be a flag set somewhere.

If anyone can find the relevant functions and posts the AOBs, I'll update the script! (Disabling the in-game tilt lock is also on my AOB wish list btw)

EDIT: Ahh screw burnout. I have a long commute home from work, and my mind wanders and works through assembly code like I'm sure everyone else on the road. (I'm normal, right?) Try this beta, hopefully it fixes the cutscene issue. First you have to freeze the cutscene with F5, but now it should wrest camera control back from the game and free camera should work normally until you press F6 to resume.

EDIT: Attachment removed - please download from first post of thread.
Last edited by amorrow28 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterwashimashi
Cheater
Cheater

amorrow28 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:24 pm
misterwashimashi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:12 am

You're welcome!

I've known about the cutscene camera lock, but I don't yet know of a workaround. The game engine stops reading from the camera coordinates entirely during a cutscene, which makes it much harder to track down than in Falcom's older games where it would just forcibly overwrite the values. I'm not really even sure where to start tracing. I may try to go back and address this later, but not right now, I'm pretty burned out. There's a workaround if you want to see something from a specific angle (I think): freeze the action using the force pause, wait for the game to give you control back, then position the camera. It's not perfect, but it seemed to work for me.

In terms of the background blurring, I imagine it should be removable by CE, but again, I don't know how. There must be a flag set somewhere.

If anyone can find the relevant functions and posts the AOBs, I'll update the script! (Disabling the in-game tilt lock is also on my AOB wish list btw)

EDIT: Ahh screw burnout. I have a long commute home from work, and my mind wanders and works through assembly code like I'm sure everyone else on the road. (I'm normal, right?) Try this beta, hopefully it fixes the cutscene issue. First you have to freeze the cutscene with F5, but now it should wrest camera control back from the game and free camera should work normally until you press F6 to resume.

Kuro_freecam_v1.1beta1.CT
Hello man, I tried testing the new version. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The game manages to regain control from CE most of the time lol. Tho no rush, feel free to take a long break if you're burnt out.

I totally have no experience in tampering games using CE whatsoever, but I will try to find the cutscene depth of field in Hajimari. By some luck I might stumble upon it hahaha.

EDIT: Alright luck will not cut it, I have no idea how to find the address of the DOF effect in cutscenes there are too many lmaoooo

amorrow28
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by amorrow28 »

misterwashimashi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:35 am
Hello man, I tried testing the new version. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The game manages to regain control from CE most of the time lol. Tho no rush, feel free to take a long break if you're burnt out.

I totally have no experience in tampering games using CE whatsoever, but I will try to find the cutscene depth of field in Hajimari. By some luck I might stumble upon it hahaha.

EDIT: Alright luck will not cut it, I have no idea how to find the address of the DOF effect in cutscenes there are too many lmaoooo
I’m confused, the game regains control?? (I mean, it’s not exactly supposed to be a battle of wills against a sentient AI or anything haha) Seriously though, does that mean the camera is still moving when you freeze frame? Is everything else paused? (Just want to make sure, you’re using force pause right? That’s the only script I changed.)

The instruction I disabled is a weird one, there's a variable pointer call, the engine goes to very different places when in cutscene or on the field. And I don't have a lot of stuff to test with, since I'm just in the first part of the game. I've just been using the intro. Can Van or Agnes trigger these attacks in the first sewer area?

And btw thank you for trying to find the address for DOF! That is very difficult, and I think most would not try.

misterwashimashi
Cheater
Cheater

amorrow28 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:33 am
misterwashimashi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:35 am

I’m confused, the game regains control?? (I mean, it’s not exactly supposed to be a battle of wills against a sentient AI or anything haha) Seriously though, does that mean the camera is still moving when you freeze frame? Is everything else paused? (Just want to make sure, you’re using force pause right? That’s the only script I changed.)

The instruction I disabled is a weird one, there's a variable pointer call, the engine goes to very different places when in cutscene or on the field. And I don't have a lot of stuff to test with, since I'm just in the first part of the game. I've just been using the intro. Can Van or Agnes trigger these attacks in the first sewer area?

And btw thank you for trying to find the address for DOF! That is very difficult, and I think most would not try.
My bad, I didn't explain it clearly haha. Everything else pauses when I use the force pause function, working perfectly. I mean there are times when the freecam can move during cutscenes, but there are times where it won't move even when force paused, which seems inconsistent. Van's and Agnes' Crafts have brief cutscenes in them but there's no problem moving the freecam there.

Upon further inspection, when about to use a Craft or S-Craft, I need to force pause and turn on the freecam before the cutscene activates in order for it to be able to move. Failing to activate the freecam before the cutscene triggers will render it immovable during the cutscene. This probably explains why it looks inconsistent earlier. It requires a bit of timing though, but it's easy lol. (I hope I explained clearly cuz I have a bit of communication skill problems hahaha)

About finding the DOF, yeah I didn't know it'd be that hard, I assumed that the DOF address just contains "1" or "0" but it's probably a mix of letters and numbers which will make it really hard to find lmao.

amorrow28
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by amorrow28 »

misterwashimashi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:42 am
My bad, I didn't explain it clearly haha. Everything else pauses when I use the force pause function, working perfectly. I mean there are times when the freecam can move during cutscenes, but there are times where it won't move even when force paused, which seems inconsistent. Van's and Agnes' Crafts have brief cutscenes in them but there's no problem moving the freecam there.

Upon further inspection, when about to use a Craft or S-Craft, I need to force pause and turn on the freecam before the cutscene activates in order for it to be able to move. Failing to activate the freecam before the cutscene triggers will render it immovable during the cutscene. This probably explains why it looks inconsistent earlier. It requires a bit of timing though, but it's easy lol. (I hope I explained clearly cuz I have a bit of communication skill problems hahaha)

About finding the DOF, yeah I didn't know it'd be that hard, I assumed that the DOF address just contains "1" or "0" but it's probably a mix of letters and numbers which will make it really hard to find lmao.
No, you explained it well. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I changed the camera script, since I had not. I think I found the problem, there are actually two places where the game can just jump over the camera code. Give this version a try! (Thank you again for beta testing btw!)

EDIT: Attachment removed - please download from first post of thread.

EDIT: Forgot to comment about the DOF thing... you're probably right, it's probably a 1 or 0. Just in case you don't already know this: Sony's phyre Engine seems to encode nearly all flags as floats. So 1 and 0 are 0x3F800000 and 0x00000000 in CS3/CS4/Hajimari. TXe is inconsistent, most things are floats but some are bytes. Kuro uses bytes (0x01 and 0x00), as far as I can tell.
Last edited by amorrow28 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterwashimashi
Cheater
Cheater

Nice, this latest version does the trick. Now I can turn on the freecam anytime even during cutscenes. Thank you!
Always happy to help man, using free cam on various pc games and getting epic screenshots has become a hobby of mine lately lol.
Uhhh one last request and feel free to reject this but, is it possible to make the force pause and unpause function more smoother? Pressing F5 and F6 does not register sometimes. In Hajimari, doing this is very smooth which allows for a frame-by-frame shot when mashing F5 and F6.

EDIT: About the DOF, ohhh I see. I don't understand much yet, but Imma try again by searching floats instead of single digits.

amorrow28
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by amorrow28 »

misterwashimashi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:18 am
Nice, this latest version does the trick. Now I can turn on the freecam anytime even during cutscenes. Thank you!
Always happy to help man, using free cam on various pc games and getting epic screenshots has become a hobby of mine lately lol.
Uhhh one last request and feel free to reject this but, is it possible to make the force pause and unpause function more smoother? Pressing F5 and F6 does not register sometimes. In Hajimari, doing this is very smooth which allows for a frame-by-frame shot when mashing F5 and F6.
So the answer is "not really," because they work really differently. In Hajimari, there is a variable that just needs to change to instantly freeze the game, and Cyber's code inserts an assembly command that scans for F5/F6 and switches the variable (what I've been calling the "true pause"). In Kuro, I'm doing two AOB scans, then NOPing 3 instructions and rerouting a conditional jump instruction to avoid a variable pointer call. Admittedly AOB scans are kind of slow and changing them to asserts makes the script a little faster, but at the cost of every update breaking the script.

I did find a location to implement a true pause, just like the Hajimari script, but true pause in Kuro does not pause certain things. (You can see for yourself by going into a menu mid-swing - the colored lighting will finish and disappear.) You can give this a try, I included two new pauses - fast forced pause, and true pause.

Kuro Two Pauses.CT
(10.67 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

In order to use two scripts at once, just open the first one, then open the second one and say yes when it asks to merge. Be sure to delete the forced pause from my free cam script (or at least delete the hotkey bindings), or both will go on and off. True pause is like the Hajimari pause, you have to enable in cheat engine first then the assembly will take over. Let me know what you think. Either way, I'll test a bit more but I'll probably post beta 2 as v1.1, and keep force pause (as it is) because overall I like it more and most users probably don't need super fast pausing.

Btw I love screenshots (I'm known to work for them haha), I would love it if you share your work!
Last edited by amorrow28 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

misterwashimashi
Cheater
Cheater

amorrow28 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:50 am
misterwashimashi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:18 am
So the answer is "not really," because they work really differently. In Hajimari, there is a variable that just needs to change to instantaneously freeze the game, and Cyber's code inserts an assembly command that scans for F5/F6 and switches the variable (what I've been calling the "true pause"). In Kuro, I'm doing two AOB scans, then NOPing 3 instructions and rerouting a conditional jump instruction to avoid a variable pointer call. Admittedly AOB scans are kind of slow and changing them to asserts makes the script a little faster, but at the cost of every update breaking the script.

I did find a location to implement a true pause, just like the Hajimari script, but true pause in Kuro does not pause certain things. (You can see for yourself by going into a menu mid-swing - the colored lighting will finish and disappear.) You can give this a try, I included two new pauses - fast forced pause, and true pause.

Kuro Two Pauses.CT

In order to use two scripts at once, just open the first one, then open the second one and say yes when it asks to merge. Be sure to delete the forced pause from my free cam script (or at least delete the hotkey bindings), or both will go on and off. True pause is like the Hajimari pause, you have to enable in cheat engine first then the assembly will take over. Let me know what you think. Either way, I'll test a bit more but I'll probably post beta 2 as v1.1, and keep force pause (as it is) because overall I like it more and most users probably don't need super fast pausing.

Btw I love screenshots (I'm known to work for them haha), I would love it if you share your work!
Oww that was fast haha and it works as intended to be. Point though most users don't need frame-by-frame pausing, so thanks for going out of your way to fulfill this selfish request of mine hahaha I appreciate it.

Anyway yeah of course! It'd be my pleasure to share my screenshots with you! I mostly have screenshots from fighting games atm, Imma pour all my free time onto getting Kuro screenshots once I'm done with school. Cheers!

amorrow28
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by amorrow28 »

misterwashimashi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:17 am
Oww that was fast haha and it works as intended to be. Point though most users don't need frame-by-frame pausing, so thanks for going out of your way to fulfill this selfish request of mine hahaha I appreciate it.

Anyway yeah of course! It'd be my pleasure to share my screenshots with you! I mostly have screenshots from fighting games atm, Imma pour all my free time onto getting Kuro screenshots once I'm done with school. Cheers!
Wait, which one was the good one, fast force or true? Lol. I'm actually thinking I'll switch out the default with the fast force pause if it actually makes a difference.

misterwashimashi
Cheater
Cheater

Imo I find true pause better, tho it depends sometimes. For poses that makes the character move a lot which makes it hard to get the precise pose, I'd use true pause for that because it's more smoother and mash-friendly if you want to get that perfect shot, but at the cost of special effects (tho there are times where the vfx obstructs the view of the character), and the characters can still move even if true pause is in effect, when used in stairs the characters might go through them and bug out. But if I want an epic screenshot that includes awesome special effects, fast pause is the best choice cuz it pauses the game completely and keeps the vfx, but is slow sometimes and cannot be mashed. Other than those, both are quite the same in function. Hmmm maybe include them both..?

EDIT: After a few hours of finding Hajimari DOF, I actually don't know what I'm doing anymore hahaha at this point I'm just doing random things hoping it would do something. Tampering games using CE is too much for my smol brain lmaooooo.

amorrow28
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by amorrow28 »

misterwashimashi wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:31 am
Imo I find true pause better, tho it depends sometimes. For poses that makes the character move a lot which makes it hard to get the precise pose, I'd use true pause for that because it's more smoother and mash-friendly if you want to get that perfect shot, but at the cost of special effects (tho there are times where the vfx obstructs the view of the character), and the characters can still move even if true pause is in effect, when used in stairs the characters might go through them and bug out. But if I want an epic screenshot that includes awesome special effects, fast pause is the best choice cuz it pauses the game completely and keeps the vfx, but is slow sometimes and cannot be mashed. Other than those, both are quite the same in function. Hmmm maybe include them both..?

EDIT: After a few hours of finding Hajimari DOF, I actually don't know what I'm doing anymore hahaha at this point I'm just doing random things hoping it would do something. Tampering games using CE is too much for my smol brain lmaooooo.
Hmm, ok. Since there's no real panacea, I've decided to keep the AOB scan version as the default version for v1.1 for maximum compatibility, I just think it's the best option for most people as it's already pretty decently fast and reliable. I made one more change to prevent certain scenes from transitioning as well, so everyone should download the final v1.1 release. I'll leave the optional true pause function available here as a separate download for those who need lightning fast pausing and are willing to put up with the compromises that brings!

misterwashimashi
Cheater
Cheater

It's been fun doing the beta testing with you man haha thanks for doing this.

Here have a screenshot of my new waifu hahaha (still a bit of a noob when it comes to taking shots lol)

amorrow28
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by amorrow28 »

No, thank YOU! Debugging went so fast, and your reports were very helpful. I doubt anyone else would’ve been willing to try so many things (especially loading the camera in a new game then loading the final dungeon, very clever idea that basically told me exactly where the problem was). I very much appreciate your willingness to try so many things to break the script!

I’m sure more problems will come up with time, but still, it’s working pretty well considering the game is 15 days old. (And very nice screenshot btw!)

misterwashimashi
Cheater
Cheater

amorrow28 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:47 am
No, thank YOU! Debugging went so fast, and your reports were very helpful. I doubt anyone else would’ve been willing to try so many things (especially loading the camera in a new game then loading the final dungeon, very clever idea that basically told me exactly where the problem was). I very much appreciate your willingness to try so many things to break the script!

I’m sure more problems will come up with time, but still, it’s working pretty well considering the game is 15 days old. (And very nice screenshot btw!)
I'm glad I could help! Just wanna show my appreciation for making the Hajimari script, as well as for the modding you've been doing for the community. I've been hopelessly waiting and searching for a Hajimari free cam since last year until I finally stumbled upon your post here, luckily Kuro's PC release date was near at that time.
Good thing I found a cleared save file on lovers lab (which is the final dungeon save) and used it as a guinea pig to find possible bugs since the beginning of the game is a bit limited for experimentation. I hope the CE Script will still work in case CLE makes an update to the game on steam. If it did break I'll be glad to help again in case you need a bug tester :D