ps1 demo hacking

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
jordan108
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

ps1 demo hacking

Post by jordan108 »

Has anyone tried to enable locked content from ps1 demo's? I have a few downloaded and I know usually there is beta content stored on demo disks you can't usually access.

I have googled searched but I found nothing on it. I know some games like gran turismo people have unlocked demo's but was wondering if it was at all possible to do it through cheat engine?

Visual917
Noobzor
Noobzor

Re: ps1 demo hacking

Post by Visual917 »

It is tremendously harder than hacking PC games. PS1 games are written heavily in x86 Assembler and C. You'd need to disassemble the code first and you'd need to understand Assembler code.
There is this: [Link]

There is also [Link]

HEX view of the raw code looks like this. (Without disassembly) If you're lucky, you get some human readable strings. (Texts)

There are tools to hack roms for specific games like Pokemon, but they're really popular games.

Aaand x86 Assembly code looks just like this. Yeah, it is one of the hardest if not the hardest period. For novice programmers, it might be a bit straight forward. But even as a backend dev, I find it nauseating.

All in all, I do not think it is as simple as injecting a table. You might want to check PSX forums maybe. There are lots of C/Assembler devs there.