How to find variables or code relating to collision detection?

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
TheVine
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

How to find variables or code relating to collision detection?

Post by TheVine »

I've seen plenty of hacks where collisions are turned off, allowing the player to pass through things unharmed.

Is there a general strategy to creating these hacks? I'm only really used to searching for hard numeric values, but things like collisions are true/false ish and instantaneous, so I'm not sure what to search for, and trying to pinpoint some moment in time seems the wrong approach.

But I also don't really know how to use the disassembler to look for the relevant bit of code that corresponds to collisions and then disable the bytes or bypass the necessary comparison code.

Any tips?

Rhark
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: How to find variables or code relating to collision detection?

Post by Rhark »

One way I know of is scanning unknown initial value and then walking into a wall and scanning changed value whilst still walking into the wall (you can use CE to pause the game via a hotkey to make it easier)

After the scans finished then walk away from the wall and scan changed, then unchanged, then repeat the steps until you find a few results. This may not work for all games and some games may have multiple values for different types of surfaces etc.