dumping files loaded by game

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
reverser69
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

dumping files loaded by game

Post by reverser69 »

hi all

anyone can help me with dumping custom files/scripts loaded by a game?
for example how people dumped FarCry .lua file or Call of duty .gsc files?

predprey
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: dumping files loaded by game

Post by predprey »

You can start by hooking ReadFileEx and its variants and see if the file getting read is the one that contains the script. But in the end you probably want to trace the breakpoints until you can find a the subroutine that decrypts/decompress the pack files from which then you can break the game once it decrypts the file, then you can dump the decompressed data from the memory.

But I'm not experienced in this area, so just my 2 cents. The pros probably have a dedicated compiled program that hooks the subroutines they discovered and automatically dumps the memory for them.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

He is not interested in learning how to reverse engineer or code some tool. He just wants to know what to use to dump that data T_T. Please head to [Link] and search there what you need.

Chucky
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Chucky »

reverser69 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:49 pm
hi all

anyone can help me with dumping custom files/scripts loaded by a game?
for example how people dumped FarCry .lua file or Call of duty .gsc files?
[Link]

reverser69
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by reverser69 »

thx guys
so far I extracted game archives but the only file extension I could see and was not graphical/sound, was the .bin file.
I also located where the game loads these files but I can't trace nor follow the code cuz the game uses a few functions for all things.

SunBeam
Administration
Administration

Post by SunBeam »

^ You will have to do research on your own on the data types and such. We don't know. That's why I linked you to that forum, you're better off there finding a solution to all these random questions.

For FarCry games there's an extractor which uses a fixed list of names. Then there's a decompiler for the encoded .lua scripts. I don't know anything about the other game. Your forums are: XeNTaX and ZenHax. Google them up and start searching :)