a lot of tables

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
inquisitivegoblin
Noobzor
Noobzor

a lot of tables

Post by inquisitivegoblin »

I notice we have a ton of tables available here, and that's a lot of stopping and restarting a game involving god knows how many pointerscans. its a ton of work. the problem though... a lot of them aren't working as games get updated.

my thing with this is, is it considered foul play to take someone's table and update the aob's/pointers so they catch the right addresses again? of course, i'd credit whoever the main author was. its still their table, not mine. i'm not adding any functions, just making the table run again.

i just don't see a need to re-invent the wheel unless the game has gone through a complete overhaul.

what's the play here? do table authors that don't update their stuff still care, or are they just done and everything is fair game?

GreenHouse
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: a lot of tables

Post by GreenHouse »

Not sure if you're talking about fixing a table to use it yourself, or to post it back. If it's for yourself, you do you, I don't really care myself. If you know how to do it, and want to spend time fixing it. Have fun I guess.
Otherwise, if it's to post it back, then it depends in my opinion. If it's going to be posted on the same post of the table you updated, then it's generally fine. And the rest, you gotta 100% ask the author if you have any decency. I got asked lots of times, even for small things like only to add something new, or to make it compatible with different game versions or to merge multiple tables into one. And to post outside of this forum, I've said Yes, and I've said No. It can also depend on how you do it, as there's lots of people that just take it without asking, and post it somewhere else and take the credit. But still, the answer you'll get the most, is a 'No', or a direct link to the post here to download it.

UltimatePoto42
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by UltimatePoto42 »

inquisitivegoblin wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:10 am
I notice we have a ton of tables available here, and that's a lot of stopping and restarting a game involving god knows how many pointerscans. its a ton of work. the problem though... a lot of them aren't working as games get updated.

my thing with this is, is it considered foul play to take someone's table and update the aob's/pointers so they catch the right addresses again? of course, i'd credit whoever the main author was. its still their table, not mine. i'm not adding any functions, just making the table run again.

i just don't see a need to re-invent the wheel unless the game has gone through a complete overhaul.

what's the play here? do table authors that don't update their stuff still care, or are they just done and everything is fair game?
If you update a table you can just post it in the same topic as the original, and just state that it's so and so's table and you updated it. You won't get in any trouble if you do that, at most they may request it be removed. But most table makers won't mind, especially if they have abandoned the table. If you remake the table using their findings, just say so when you post the table and add them to the credits section.

inquisitivegoblin
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by inquisitivegoblin »

ShyTwig16 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:16 am
inquisitivegoblin wrote:

If you update a table you can just post it in the same topic as the original, and just state that it's so and so's table and you updated it. You won't get in any trouble if you do that, at most they may request it be removed. But most table makers won't mind, especially if they have abandoned the table. If you remake the table using their findings, just say so when you post the table and add them to the credits section.
thanks.

yes, i absolutely will do that. credit is where credit is due. no, i would never post a table anywhere else, just repost it in the same thread the author created from the last time they updated. i would only put them back here, im not interested in the profiteering program repackagers that steal free stuff and sell it to other people.

its absolutely just for keeping good cheats alive, rather than let them fade into obscurity. some of these games have received their last update, and the developers have moved on, so its a good time to update these.

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN »

inquisitivegoblin wrote:

Why don't people read the rules, it's already answered here.
viewtopic.php?t=20
→ Can I post tables other people created?

Yes. When posting tables that don't belong to you:

1. check if that table's been posted already;
2. check the content of the table (not many of you know you can open .CT files with Notepad/Notepad++) and verify if an author exists (name can be included in scripts as well)
3. if post already exists, but table's been created by a certain individual and you have another, post it in that thread, giving credit
4. in case you want to make any modification to an existing table (which is not your creation) and share it with the community:
a. PM the table author asking for permission
b. if no response is given in 48 hours time (idling, author retired or just simply not wanting to reply), kindly create a header in the table with author's name (e.g.: [SunBeam] (original author)) and move all content there; then create a header with your name (e.g.: [SomeUser1]) and put your entries/scripts there -> example post: here
c. you may add to the existing credits, in a separate sub-section (if you have any logging info) (e.g.: in the Extras window)
5. as long as there's mentioning of the original author's name wherever in the table, and you've checked all steps in #4 above, the author is considered to have been credited