Where should I begin?

Section's for general approaches on hacking various options in games. No online-related discussions/posts OR warez!
GlitchRobin
Fearless Donors
Fearless Donors

Where should I begin?

Post by GlitchRobin »

I've done the in program tutorial and I've seen half a million tutorials about the basics of pointer scanning and VERY basic code injection, but I want to learn more that'll help me be able to utilize CE more effectively.

I've done the usual item swapping things with dark souls 2 a long while ago, where most people start off in CE.
I've testing my own things (mostly just editing random bytes in memory viewer) in Nier: Automata (Videos on YT of my basic/useless things)
[Link]

Should I learn Lua or ASM, what topics should I research or even what tools in CE should I try to use in certain games (with a quick run down of how to use the tool in the first place if possible?)

I suppose this isn't so much of a "Where to start?" but more "Where to go next?"
Please post suggestions below. I'll be sure to take any and all suggestions and at least give them a proper try.

TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Where should I begin?

Post by TimFun13 »

Well I think it helps to have a basic understanding of programming and how programs are structured, some object oriented programming is also good to understand. And the more you know ASM, the easier reversing how stuff works will be. It can help to know how programs are debugged, 80% (or so) of the questions I see can easily be figured out with very basic debugging skills. If you can't debug your own code you're stuck asking for help and many times won't get an answer; because learning debugging is something that can take years, and is more about just doing it enough to start to get how it works. You can use FASM or something similar to write some small programs to learn more about ASM. And if you want to make CE trainers then you'll need to learn Lua as well, but having a good understanding of Lua and knowing how to write stuff at a higher level then ASM can be helpful at times; I use a lot of my own Lua modules to make things easier for me and I only make tables not trainers. But it all depends, with Lua modules you end up with more stuff to debug when you have errors.

And the pointer scanner is great, but with it you end up with random pointers that "can" work; and I think trying to actually reverse how the program is building the pointers and making your own from those findings is the better way to go, but even I am still learning this myself.

As far as tools you can check out CE's Ultimap, if your computer can handle it; and there is Ultimap 2 if your processor has the needed instruction set. And CE has the structure spider, and a new structure tool I haven't messed with.

But I think in the end the big thing to remember is where "hackers" get their namesake, from hacking at a keyboard all the time; never giving up and always hacking away.

So in short.
  1. Learn some basic programming, no need to write the next anything; just some basic stuff, but going far enough to get some errors so you have to debug them can help. I wrote a stupid text editor (with no intention of replacing the one I already use) and file encrypter when I was learning to program. I actually suggest going to a completed release EXE as a good way to really hammer in the skills, plus then you can hack that just to see how it looks in CE. Hacking an open source game can also help in this area, but try a small program first, else compiling the game will be a nightmare.
  2. Ask a friend to add random errors to some code, just so you have to learn debugging. I never had to ask for errors, I added plenty of my own when first learning.
  3. Just for kicks, go old school; no using "alloc" and find and use your own code caves. I often "go old school" when learning anything, you'll end up with a respect for the new tools and the old timers (that really know their stuff) will often respect you a bit more (granted in this case no one will really see to know and thus respect you for it but that's really not the point here).
  4. Try adding more options to the cheats you already have, this can help expose you to new ASM and new ways of doing things.
  5. Find values and reverse pointers, even if you won't use them; so find the coordinates and deltas even if you're not making a cheat with them, just to get more familiar with the code the manipulates them.
  6. Write an ASM teleporter module (not to actually use), to do some different stuff with lists, then add strings to it and just make it like a higher level module; then using/making a Lua module for much of anything can be a cake walk.
  7. And this one is a bit more personal, It's something my Dad said a lot that has served me well; "The day you finally know it all, will be on your deathbed; so always be ready to learn from anything and everyone, no matter how small the lesson".