[Guide] Introduction to Unreal Engine 4 Hacking w/ Dumped Objects

Section's for general approaches on hacking various options in games. No online-related discussions/posts OR warez!
CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers

[Guide] Introduction to Unreal Engine 4 Hacking w/ Dumped Objects

Post by CheatingMuppet »

Alright, here are the very basics of UE4 game hacking.
For the sake of keeping it simple this will only look at UE4 versions before 4.25 (UProperties were changed into FProperties in 4.25, there are some important differences).
I will be keeping things extremely simple, there are a lot of things that I'm leaving out because for people who actually need this it will just become confusing. I might expand on this introduction with more advanced stuff later.

The very first thing you need to do is stop and go learn the Cheat Engine basics and how memory works. You need to know how to use Cheat Engine and you need an understanding of what an offset is and what a base address is and how the two go together.
This introduction is not targeted towards game hackers on their first day of hacking.

This introduction uses the game Satisfactory which uses Unreal Engine 4.22.3 (at the time of writing).

Also, it should go without saying but you will have an easier time understanding any of this if you've got some programming experience but I will try to explain things in such a way that you don't need to be an expert in order to walk away from this introduction with some very useful UE4 game hacking knowledge.
Part 1 - Very Basic Understanding Of Different Types Of UObjects
Everything in a UE4 game is a UObject (not true, but most everything). This is simply a class that everything inherits from (except in 4.25+).
There are three main types of UObjects that you're dealing with in UE4. This is not true at all but as I said, keeping it simple.

The first type is the active type or base, the object that contains your actual values like current player health and max player health.

The second type is the property type, aka UProperty. This type contains the name of the property (e.g: mCurrentHealth, but more specifically it contains an FName id not a string), offset to the actual value inside the base object (base + offset = health), and some other useful information.

The third type is a Class type. This type is just a class that the base UObjects inherit from. This is not covered in this guide but just know that not all UObjects that aren't UProperty objects are base objects and this is where experimenting and paying attention to patterns will help a lot.
Part 2 - Object Dumping & Understanding The Result
You can get a list of every single object (known as UObject) that exists in a game, this is called object dumping and there are several dumpers out there for you to use.
I recommend the [Link] which comes with an object dumper and some other nifty features.

In this file you will find stuff like this:
[00026827] 000001C23C07E9B0 FloatProperty FactoryGame.FGHealthComponent.mCurrentHealth
Lets dissect this line. Lets use the spaces to separate the line into small sections.
The first part [00026827] can be ignored for most everything it's beyond the scope of this introduction.
The second part 000001C23C07E9B0 is the address of this UObject.
The third part FloatProperty is the class that this object belongs to.
In UE4 FloatProperty is a class which inherits from UProperty but the name itself lets us know that this is a float type.
There are other similar classes such as IntProperty and ArrayProperty and many more.
The fact that the type is suffixed with Property means that we can be very sure that this is a UProperty object and not a base object.
The fourth and final part, FactoryGame.FGHealthComponent.mCurrentHealth, let's split this up again into smaller sections but by the . this time.

This is basically the path information for the object aswell as the name of the object.
For most dumpers the part after the last . will always be the name of the object and everything before will be the path info.
The path info tells you what other UObject this UObject belongs to.
In the above example we can see that our UObject, mCurrentHealth, belongs to some other UObject named FGHealthComponent which belongs to FactoryGame.
The path info can be very long and it can look a bit scary but don't worry about it too much, you'll get the hang of it eventually after experimenting with it a bit.

For searching the dumped txt file:
I recommend using Notepad++ because it has an excellent search feature.
For example, when looking for health you could search for "health" and choose "Find All in Current Document.
You get a ton of results. To narrow it down, you might search for the class. We know from our game hacking experience that health is usually a float. We also know that the class is surrounded by spaces so lets copy & paste our search result into a new tab and search for " FloatProperty " and again choose "Find All in Current Document".
There are not very many results left. Finding useful stuff is much more manageable when we've narrowed it down by class like this.
If you're real crazy then you could also use regex to make finding stuff even easier.

You can also combine UE4 game hacking with regular hacking, obviously.
Find any object by searching like you would any game and then search for the base address in the dumped txt and it should tell you what object this actually is and then you can look up properties for that object.

Okay! Continuing on. Lets look at another line:
[00116759] 000001C24BE2B080 FGHealthComponent Char_Player.Default__Char_Player_C.HealthComponent
It looks quite different doesn't it ? What's up with the class ?
Well this is where it becomes a little more complicated.
This is due to object oriented programming and inheritance (it's a bit more than that but let's not talk about it for now).
The above example is really just a class named HealthComponent and it's an instance of FGHealthComponent.

The most important thing to remember here is that if the class doesn't end with Property then it's an active or base object.
Otherwise it's a UProperty object.

So we learned that the above example is a base object and we learned in part 1 that base objects are the objects that contain actual values like health numbers and mana numbers etc.
Another quirk that you must learn is defaults. You can safely ignore any object with Default mentioned in the path info because it's useless for 99% of anything you might want to do.
The above UObject does contain Default in its path info so we can ignore this one and move on to the next one.

The base objects that you're looking for usually has Persistent_Level somewhere in it's path info and sometimes it has Transient in the path info but neither is a guarantee.
They look a little something like this, and sometimes you might find several objects that are very similar:

Code: Select all

[00255089] 000001C2B664E980 FGHealthComponent Persistent_Level.Persistent_Level.PersistentLevel.Char_Player_C_1.HealthComponent
[00255063] 000001C212FF5500 FGHealthComponent Persistent_Level.Persistent_Level.PersistentLevel.Char_Player_C_2.HealthComponent
[00255141] 000001C2B6648200 FGHealthComponent Persistent_Level.Persistent_Level.PersistentLevel.Char_BabyCrab_C_2.HealthComponent
How do you know which is the real one ? First of all, apply some brain to the issue: clearly if you don't play as a crab then the Char_BabyCrab_C_2 is probably not the right object.
If you only have 3-4 similar objects then by far the fastest way to check which is the correct one is to employ some trial & error.
Simply follow the steps in part 3 for each UObject and then change the value and in this example I would see if player health changes, if it does then I've found the right object.
If you have tons of similar objects then there are several other ways to find out, all of which are beyond the scope of this introduction to UE4 game hacking.

Alright! Now we know the address of the base object (our health value is in here at some offset) and also the address of the UProperty that contains the offset into the base object where our health value is.
Part 3 - Exploring Memory
It's time to dive into memory and have a look at what exists at these UObject addresses.
I generally recommend that you set your Cheat Engine memory viewer up to display values as 8-byte hex and lock it to 2 columns for an easier time looking at and navigating UObjects.

We'll start with some universal things that are true (for almost all UE4 versions) for all UObjects no matter if it's a base object or a UProperty object.
I'm keeping this very basic, this introduction does not cover what each and every bit of information in these UObjects mean.

For the purpose of this introduction to UE4 game hacking, the base object is not interesting to us at all so we will start with the UProperty object.

We're looking to find at what offset into the base object our health value is at.
To do this we'll simply open up the address of our mCurrentHealth UProperty in the memory viewer in Cheat Engine.
Once you've done that you should hit Ctrl + Enter to be able see offsets easier.

We're looking for a 32-bit integer (in other words: 4-byte value) so unless you've spent a lot of time looking at memory I recommend that you change your memory viewer to display as 4-byte hex.
This integer is called Offset_Internal in the engine source code and it's part of the UProperty class.
Different UE4 versions have Offset_Internal at different offsets inside the UProperty class but it's always around the same area.
Typically it's around +0x44 inside the UProperty UObject (e.g: the mCurrentHealth FloatProperty UObject).
The easiest thing to do is to just look for a low number around +0x44, it doesn't have to be a low number but I'd be suspicious of any numbers greater than ~0x3000.

Once you've found the offset that you think is Offset_Internal then make a note of the value at the offset (and also the offset of Offset_Internal for future use since it's the same in all UProperties).
In my case Offset_Internal is at 0x44 and the value at the location in memory is 0x164.
This is the offset into the base object that contains our health value.
So now all you have to do is take the base object and add 0x164 to it and that's your health address.

In this example I was looking to find the player health so in my case if I change the value at base + Offset_Internal to half of it's current value and my health doesn't get cut in half then I have not found Offset_Internal or I have screwed up somewhere, to fix this I would have to go back to this guide and read it again and think real hard.

I've intentionally only used one example here, player health, because I want you to go experimenting with this knowledge and learn how to find anything you want without a step-by-step guide because you will learn so much more if you do the work yourself.
That concludes the Introduction to Unreal Engine 4 Hacking.
I left a lot of stuff out, this is on purpose as I want you to learn something. This should be a decent base of knowledge for UE4 hacking, now go forth and experiment with UE4 and have fun.

aSwedishMagyar
Table Makers
Table Makers

Re: [Guide] Introduction to Unreal Engine 4 Hacking w/ Dumped Objects

Post by aSwedishMagyar »

I wanted to stop by and thank you for this concise explanation. It was immensely helpful and allowed me to figure out how to generate my own UE4 structures on a game-by-game basis.

CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by CheatingMuppet »

aSwedishMagyar wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:30 am
I wanted to stop by and thank you for this concise explanation. It was immensely helpful and allowed me to figure out how to generate my own UE4 structures on a game-by-game basis.
You're very welcome!
I wish you well in your UE4 hacking journey.

jjcho849
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by jjcho849 »

Hey I’m trying to hack Bigfoot on steam which is unreal engine but when I scan for ammo value I get it narrowed down a little but then the values are wrong and next scan gets nothing why can’t I find internal values with cheat engine on this game?

JediZavv
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by JediZavv »

This is one of the better UE4 cheat tutorial out there, thanks!
However, I was kinda lost around the part about 0x44 offset, simply couldn't follow up with your progress;
would be much better should you have included screenshots...

Man, UE4 game cheating seems much harder than anything else (like native or Unity).

CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by CheatingMuppet »

JediZavv wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:56 am
However, I was kinda lost around the part about 0x44 offset, simply couldn't follow up with your progress;

Man, UE4 game cheating seems much harder than anything else (like native or Unity).
What part exactly is confusing you ? I need more information in order to provide help.
The more information I have the better.

Also, UE4 is native. The only difference here is that we're attacking the game engine instead of the game.
Everything that you've learned about native hacking also applies to UE4.
You may have to do some heavy back-tracing but that's not particularly hard, just annoying.
The stuff that this guide covers is really just a different way of hacking UE4 if you're bored of doing it the regular way but most things in UE4 games can also be hacked the regular native way.

JediZavv
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by JediZavv »

CheatingMuppet wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:32 am
JediZavv wrote:

What part exactly is confusing you ? I need more information in order to provide help.
The more information I have the better.

Also, UE4 is native. The only difference here is that we're attacking the game engine instead of the game.
Everything that you've learned about native hacking also applies to UE4.
You may have to do some heavy back-tracing but that's not particularly hard, just annoying.
The stuff that this guide covers is really just a different way of hacking UE4 if you're bored of doing it the regular way but most things in UE4 games can also be hacked the regular native way.
Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm ready to ask the right question yet;
Having just messed through a Unity game (Haven) via dnSpy + Mono Dissect, I'm just trying to learn about UE4 next.
Yes, UE4 game is native and can be hacked the regular way but I've also come across threads regarding:
1. Lots of different dumpers, paired with the matching SDK version cross-referencing UE4 source code on GitHub
2. Something about signature + IDA Pro / Ghidra
3. Console re-Enabling
4. GName/GObject, UObject, FObject dumping across multiple game session
(ignoring aes decryption .pak for modding)
... and more.

I'm just overloaded with new info that I haven't absorbed yet...
p.s. I just realized there's also Source engine; only after I'm done with UE4.

Quoting from a post in fearlessrevolution, "Reversing it [UE4 game] without understanding how the engine works will give you brain damage."

My point is, I'm still finding my entry point to gain my experience with UE4;
and while there's no related youtube video tutorial, words-only tutorial post is my next best stop.
It's just a bit abstract / hard to visualize the scenario without seeing the same opcode you see.

p.s.2 For this particular post, section 1 is simple enough, and section 2 has enough code snippet to follow; section 3 confused me with only offset to follow.

CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by CheatingMuppet »

JediZavv wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:45 am
CheatingMuppet wrote:
JediZavv wrote:
Here's a screenshot that might help explain about the offsets visually.
This is specifically the memory structure of the 'mCurrentHealth' property.
Mirror: [Link]

Hopefully you can see what I mean by ignoring numbers that are too high because they cannot possibly be an offset into the base object.

Also, hacking UE4 without knowing how the engine works is not that difficult.
I don't know what the guy from fearlessrevolution was trying to do that caused them so much trouble but if all you want to do is make CE tables then it's really no different from other games. You scan, find somewhere in code where it's being used, and then you modify the code to do whatever you want, for example, nullifying the op-code that subtracts health.

You don't need to worry about any of that console enabling or UObject stuff if that's the case.
But obviously, if you're trying to hack the engine instead of the game then you'll need to know about some of those.

JediZavv
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by JediZavv »

CheatingMuppet wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:43 pm
JediZavv wrote:
CheatingMuppet wrote:
Here's a screenshot that might help explain about the offsets visually.
This is specifically the memory structure of the 'mCurrentHealth' property.
Mirror: [Link]

Hopefully you can see what I mean by ignoring numbers that are too high because they cannot possibly be an offset into the base object.

Also, hacking UE4 without knowing how the engine works is not that difficult.
I don't know what the guy from fearlessrevolution was trying to do that caused them so much trouble but if all you want to do is make CE tables then it's really no different from other games. You scan, find somewhere in code where it's being used, and then you modify the code to do whatever you want, for example, nullifying the op-code that subtracts health.

You don't need to worry about any of that console enabling or UObject stuff if that's the case.
But obviously, if you're trying to hack the engine instead of the game then you'll need to know about some of those.
Ahh, I see; I had to do a quick google of "UE4 UProperty" to see its C++ code snippet, seeing the public & private member variables;
The particular snippet I saw is probably outdated, which makes me understand why others are trying to use signature to find the game's matching SDK version, to be loaded later into IDA Pro (the compiled SDK debug build core), such that the entire game can be somewhat decompiled properly.

Anyway, I see your point here is to find the 1-level pointer, as in the original example, health would be either [1C2B664E980+164] or [1C212FF5500+164];
however, as shown in your screenshot, the UE4 had an SDK version update (or is it just across multiple game session from the same game version?) in your game and thus the 1-level pointer has changed, both the base UObject address and its offset;
which is painful but hopefully on the first time around, one would have find the code that access the health, created some godmode asm script via AOB, and thus resisting the need to update code after game version update.

p.s. the game you hack also needs to be supported by UUU, haven't tried it so not sure how robust it is against "incompatible" games not listed on their website.

CheatingMuppet
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by CheatingMuppet »

JediZavv wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:21 pm
CheatingMuppet wrote:
JediZavv wrote:
or is it just across multiple game session from the same game version?
This particular offset is for the member variable Offset_Internal, and the offset of member variables in a struct doesn't typically change unless the devs add another member variable before it or if they simply move the variable.
The same applies to mCurrentHealth and its offset of 0x164, with the only difference being that this is a game-specific variable in a game specific struct so it's the game developer that make changes there and for this particular game it's changed a lot because it's an early access game so things are constantly changing.

It would appear that in some version recently, they added something to either FProperty or a struct that it inherits from, causing Offset_Internal to slide from 0x44 to 0x4C.

So this is not something that will ever happen between game sessions.
However, all addresses that you get from object dumps will change when you restart the game.

There are multiple dumpers out there, UUU is probably the best publicly available one.
I believe that if you're serious about UE4 engine hacking, you should make your own dumper (or modify an open-source dumper) so that you can fix compatibility problems (which are usually simple to fix).
which is painful but hopefully on the first time around, one would have find the code that access the health, created some godmode asm script via AOB, and thus resisting the need to update code after game version update.
Yes and if you're smart about it you can avoid aob scanning aswell.
In my own dumper, I employ some strategies to automate finding Offset_Internal and several other member variables in several different structs.
Usually you would manually map the FProperty struct but then you have to manually update that struct when UE4 makes a change to that struct, recompile (& re-distribute if you do public releases).
My method avoids having to update any structs because it detects the offsets at run-time instead of using preset structs.

If you want more in-depth help, send me a PM with your discord name and we'll continue there.

JediZavv
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by JediZavv »

CheatingMuppet wrote:
If you want more in-depth help, send me a PM with your discord name and we'll continue there.
Thank you for the offer, when the time comes for me to mess with a dumper and need help, I will reach out to you!
At this point, having discovered the "fearlessrevolution Bible", I've realized my game hacking knowledge is indeed all over the place with a lot of missing pieces; so I'm going to follow that and complete my skills first before going further.

p.s. the sudden realization came after reading source code from SunBeam's UE4 game cheat table, it's so artistic while mine is ugly as Windows Vista despite functional.