Promoting payed cheats.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

What is cheating?
Mar 2, 2017
seronis post_id=3974 time=1491364252 user_id=1783 said:
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ post_id=3973 time=1491363388 user_id=58 said:
Alsigard post_id=3570 time=1491135349 user_id=1126 said:
CE license says it’s a free program, so first of all he should contact Darkbyte for commercial use approval, because he actually makes money from his program
This is the real ethical issue. It's very unfair to people who put in actual effort to get CE where it is today.
No its not. Actually that is an outright idiotic standpoint for a very simple reason that was already stated above. If a book author uses notepad++ to write and edit their stories they would be considered insane if they thought they needed to give royalties to notepad++ coders, or to M$ for the fact that its the OS they were using, or to whatever company built the computer they used, or to their power company for providing the electricity while they wrote. Get the point?

Darkbyte chooses how he wants to distribute the program. The program, CE itself, is his creation. Any table or training made using that program DOES NOT HAVE ONE DAMN THING to do with him. It only involves the person who made it.

-fin
How absurd. You're comparing full intellectual property to part intellectual property. When someone writes a book and publishes it, they own it. A Cheat Engine trainer could not have been composed without Cheat Engine. You have got to see the ethical issue there. So your "point" wasn't really a point at all.

Alsigard

What is cheating?
Mar 13, 2017
I actually didn’t want to post anything more in this topic, but when you get called out like...
seronis post_id=3974 time=1491364252 user_id=1783 said:
Actually that is an outright idiotic standpoint
For really “gifted” people I explain 1 more time. I said CT format in its form (table) was developed be DB and no other program uses it (as cheat table).
Alsigard post_id=3687 time=1491194428 user_id=1126 said:
CT. file format was made by Darkbyte and is inseparable from CE itself therefore it is a part of his program. More so only one program in the world uses CT. format and states that’s its free. CE license agreement clearly says “You may not rent, lease or sell this program”.
He did not get permission to sell and profit from his format “CT”. In addition, what you are talking about actually violates economic Authors’ rights, which are intended to allow the author to profit financially from his creation, and the right to authorize the reproduction of the work in any form. (Berne Convention and WIPO Copyright Treaty). Moreover, before you say something like “it’s just format and text is all mine”. Simple analogy you go to chop wood and your “text” is steel head of the axe, but wooden handle is made by Darkbyte. You cannot chop wood without it. In addition, If CT and CE are inseparable, one does not work (properly or at all) without the other you could argue he sells part of the program itself.

Apr 2, 2017
And in your analogy, you are saying you can't sell your chopped wood without the handle maker's permission. Edit* You edited your post but it doesn't change anything.

STN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 2, 2017
Ermm...what i don't think you guys realize is Dark Byte is actually okay with it and posted the rules on how it should be done.

If you do know that and are just debating the right and wrongs of it then continue on :D .

Apr 2, 2017
:) I think that's understood, or atleast it's been repeated several times so should be. I'm arguing because I can, it's kinda fun to do it.

Alsigard

What is cheating?
Mar 13, 2017
SinStar87 post_id=4249 time=1491554056 user_id=1910 said:
And in your analogy, you are saying you can't sell your chopped wood without the handle maker's permission. Edit* You edited your post but it doesn't change anything.
You cannot use it to chop wood, because part of the axe is not yours. Can you chop without handle? I would love to see it IRL.
Maybe its crappy analogy but I do not have much time during coffee break, to think of better ones. :lol:
STN post_id=4250 time=1491554264 user_id=48 said:
Ermm...what i don't think you guys realize is Dark Byte is actually okay with it and posted the rules on how it should be done.

If you do know that and are just debating the right and wrongs of it then continue on :D .
I actually did not know that, could somebody post link to them. Thanks.

Apr 2, 2017
Then you are twisting your own analogy so it makes no sense. Dark Byte gives out the handle for free, you're arguing that in using his handle(you can make it the whole axe if you like) he's owed a cut of the money you make from you selling wood you've chopped.

STN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 2, 2017
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?p=3531#p3531

I didn't make it into an announcement/sticky yet, waiting for when(if) this sort of thing happens again in future.

Alsigard

What is cheating?
Mar 13, 2017
SinStar87 post_id=4255 time=1491555081 user_id=1910 said:
Then you are twisting your own analogy so it makes no sense. Dark Byte gives out the handle for free, you're arguing that in using his handle(you can make it the whole axe if you like) he's owed a cut of the money you make from you selling wood you've chopped.
He gave it for free to chop wood for you home, not for commercial usage and opening you lumber mill to sell wood.

Apr 2, 2017
Even if he intended that(he doesn't because, as has been stated god knows how many times, he's allowed paid content on his forum.) His license doesn't cover that, and so doesn't prevent it. Would it be nice if they shared profit with him, yes, but they aren't obliged to.

Alsigard

What is cheating?
Mar 13, 2017
STN post_id=4256 time=1491555116 user_id=48 said:
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?p=3531#p3531
I thought he made public announcement, but I read these in previous posts.

Those rules were made for trainers not tables, and selling tables is not regulated in any way. Which in turn does not invalidate my arguments.

As I said before from a moral standpoint its wrong that Darkbyte makes nothing while making all the work, and the guy who uses his program, his format and actually sells them makes good money. I am fine though if he switches to making trainers with mentioned above rules applied. Cause it would indeed mean same fair rules that were introduced by DarkByte himself. And people are absolutely right if he does not sue, they are fine. However, if he does, well easy money for him and a world of trouble for them.
SinStar87 post_id=4259 time=1491556337 user_id=1910 said:
Would it be nice if they shared profit with him, yes, but they aren't obliged to.
They actually can be obliged if they sell/promote them on this forum. However, it is up to admins to implement this policy/rule.

Apr 2, 2017
No they can't, they can ban posting paid content. But they have no power to force them to turn over part of the money they make.

Alsigard

What is cheating?
Mar 13, 2017
If I am not mistaken, you are just a regular user like me and you cannot represent admins in any way, more so what they can and cannot do. If they will introduce this policy, ban payed cheats or allow them, in then end its their decision because there will never be one opinion in 90% of discussed problems and like in reality somebody has to make a decision for better or worse.

Apr 2, 2017
Yes I am a regular user, but that doesn't mean the admins here have any power over the funds going to paid content creators so they literally can't oblige them to funnel money to Dark Byte. Their recourse, then, is allowing or banning said paid content.

They made the decision to allow them under the proposed rules like 3 pages ago. This discussion morphed to the legality of people using Dark Byte's creation and charging for their work.