Announcement Back to Xenforo2!

STN

Pleb
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 2, 2017
We have been talking to table makers, donators, discord members and staff the past couple days and the overwhelming majority wanted Xenforo back so here it is. Xenforo2 in all its glory back!.

Everything went smoothly and there shouldn't be any bugs. Still, a few things were not imported, the most important of which you will notice is the Reputation Points. I apologize for that but i am sure you can gain those likes back in no time and we have reactions now!. Here's some important info

• OLD PHPBB Forums - We have mirrored them and made them accessible to everyone so you can access your old posts and data!. They are read-only and new posts can't be made. Link is right at the top in notice bar.
  • Attachment descriptions - The mod is almost done and should be live next week!.
  • Styles - UIX (white) is the default. You can choose others if you don't like the default from the style chooser at the bottom or from your profile preferences.
  • Phpbb theme - We are going to find or develop a phpbb like theme for people that love the phpbb theme (including me!).
  • HTTPS - We decided to move to HTTPS as well. I know a lot of you urged us to do that in the past, i agreed to do it finally!.

Here is a little history behind why we took this decision again! - Please read it before you decide to bring the drama back. ENOUGH OF THE DRAMA - Let's move on already.

Addressing the recent events concerning FRF and the forums

Alright, i know you guys have heard about the latest drama and controversy plaguing FRF and the staff here at FRF are striving to be more transparent and be more involved with the community. We care about the community and want to create an open environment where everyone feels welcomed and able to express their creativity. We don't want you to feel like you can't come to us to express your concerns or suggestions to make the community a better place for everyone. I know I have made some mistakes in the past when it comes to communication and transparency and i want to apologize for that. I will strive to do better, to be more open, and be there for the community that I love.

I will take this time to address some misgivings people have voiced:
  • All donations on behalf of FRF have not and will not be used for personal gain.
  • All donations are used for FRF and FRF only, be it server costs, software costs, and maintenance.
  • Any donations left at the end of the month are rolled over to the next. I keep a detailed log of all donations and transactions concerning FRF.
Personally I find it immoral and goes against my values to use money donated to make the community better for personal use.

I know lately it may have seem things were moving fast and I do apologize for it. A lot of the recent changes were brought on due to our old host having problems keeping the servers online because of hardware issues and constant maintenance. We decided it would be best to move FRF to another, better server with a better uptime so you experience less interruptions. During the transfer we took the opportunity to make some changes and updates to the new server. We promise next time, we will forewarn you of such actions, though at the time, I wasn't sure how long the old server would stay up.

Regarding the forum situation, I really want to apologize: I should have handled it better! I have been in contact with the staff that help manage the Discord channel and the forums as well as the donators and table makers and asking for their opinions on the matter. I want the community to be involved with any major changes to FRF, because without you, we wouldn't be who we are today. We all need to work together, both the staff and the community to make this a better place. Many of you have shown your disdain for PHPBB and due to FRF growing in size, we started looking into other forum options. We made the mistake of switching the forums before we were ready and I apologize for that. We should have tested them and tweaked them in private before we made the final decision like some of you suggested. It was handled really badly and i learned from it.

We currently run PHPBB, which while is a great forum software, doesn't scale well when it comes to growth and modifications. It is easy to modify to suit our needs but one of its biggest strengths is also a weakness for us. Once you get into modifying the software, it makes it more difficult to update and maintain which you guys noticed with reputation system getting broken and other random issues appearing. Even the simple task of adding more themes/styles could cause conflicts with custom modifications. We wanted to find something that would be easier to maintain and grow with the community.

In conclusion, we will strive better to make the community involved in the decisions that affect everyone and keep you informed on whats going on. Feel free to tell us what you think, share your ideas on how to improve the community. You can either let us know here on the forums or on our Discord server ( http://discord.gg/mcTAXVc ).

UPDATE:

We have been talking to table makers, donators, discord members and staff the past couple days and the overwhelming majority want Xenforo back. So we're going to be switching to that again. Now how best do we do that? to minimize possible lost posts and the massive edits we did to forums.

We decided that the phpbb forums will be mirrored accessible to everyone so no data is lost present here (forums will be made read-only) and just revert the main domain back to the old xenforo forums. This way people can still access their lost posts and data they have here still while the massive changes done behind the scenes wouldn't be lost either.

We are also going to find or develop a phpbb like theme for people that love the phpbb theme (including me
). The attachment description mod is almost done and should be live soon.

The conversion will commence in a few hours so i suggest not making any new content unless you're fine with copy-pasting it to xenforo again. If you have any suggestions, again feel free to approach me or the staff at forums or discord linked above.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018
Great choice of software/CMS to switch to. phpBB is great for a number of plugins and extensions, but there's an exploit every other day.

Bartholemeow

What is cheating?
Apr 11, 2018
Minor "complaint" here...

I frequent these a lot since CE kicked out the whole table subforum and now we're supposed to have accounts to browse tables etc ?
really ?

SunBeam

Trouble-Maker
Talents
Feb 4, 2018
^ It's not the only post with problems. A clean-up will be required to get rid of phpBB formatting remnants.

As for the complaints: it was just migrated; we haven't gotten yet to restore full functionality as when it was in phpBB form. Nor applied any styles for you to choose from. Will take a bit, so - - patience!

fantomas

Expert Cheater
Table Maker
Mar 25, 2017
@SunBeam

Yes of course, I understand. I guess I was too much focused on what STN said I did not realize that the migration has just been done. :p

I wish you good luck ;)

mac4500

Expert Cheater
Mar 3, 2017
hey staff

This site has been having alot of going up and down alot more offen now, with connection timeouts and stuff

so why is that happening alot

ssweet

What is cheating?
Apr 11, 2018
Was able to download tables without an account just the other day. had to register to download. nbd though. Surprised me.

STN

Pleb
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 2, 2017
Minor "complaint" here...

I frequent these a lot since CE kicked out the whole table subforum and now we're supposed to have accounts to browse tables etc ?
really ?
I don't know how that is such a big deal to spend 1 minute to make an account. But the setting has been changed, leechers will be leechers - forcing an account isn't going to change that.

This isn't going to be the default theme although honestly it doesn't look that bad :D

jungletek

Reality Bytes
Oct 17, 2017
yeaaa, is it possible to change back? I like the aesthetics dont get me wrong but

1. Its far too big for my tastes
2. No table text | when it was uploaded such as this, https://goo.gl/uT5V3Z .
1. Use zoom or learn how to use userscripts to do CSS overrides, etc.
2. We'll fix the formatting (as has been mentioned already...)

TheBigDawg

Novice Cheater
Sep 6, 2017
I don't mind the update, but if there's a way to do a "night mode" or something where the main stuff is dark, that'd be awesome. You know what I mean?

STN

Pleb
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 2, 2017
Patience young padawan, we haven't even setup usergroups permissions yet. Still going through different forums settings, themes will be setup last.

STN

Pleb
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 2, 2017
So installed Carbon, UIX with Carbon as default. You guys can choose which ever one you like, i am in love with Carbon :D

Top Bottom