Beginner needs help searching for pointers in Hollow Knight?

Add topics here with methods, analysis, code snippets, mods etc. for a certain game that normally won't make it in the Tables or Requests sections.
dstarfire
Noobzor
Noobzor

Beginner needs help searching for pointers in Hollow Knight?

Post by dstarfire »

First off, I need help figuring out how to find the right addresses. I'm NOT just looking for somebody else to tell me the addresses I need.

In Hollow Knight, I can find the memory locations for various values fairly easily. But those locations change every time the game starts (seems to be the norm these days).

So, I follow the the tutorial for pointer scanning
I then have Cheat Engine scan for what accesses that temporary address.
Reading through the various results (mov eax, esi +120) I find that eax changes (but is usually <100), while ESI looks like a memory address.
Then I do a search for the value stored in ESI, and get 100's of results. This is where I get stumped.
None of the results have green addresses. If I save that scan session, restart the game, and search for the new value of ESI in the results of that scan session, I get 0 results (meaning the aren't any locations in common between the 2 game sessions).
I've tried pointing to the address listed in ESI, thinking it might be the actual pointer, but it's nowhere close to the value I'd expect.

What's my next step? What am I doing wrong?

TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Beginner needs help searching for pointers in Hollow Knight?

Post by TimFun13 »

Try to find where ESI is set, to reverse how the address is calculated.

dstarfire
Noobzor
Noobzor

Re: Beginner needs help searching for pointers in Hollow Knight?

Post by dstarfire »

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and see what I can find.