Driver Booster from IOBIT - is this program a Bloatware?

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
MartaLabieniec
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Driver Booster from IOBIT - is this program a Bloatware?

Post by MartaLabieniec » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Hey Guys, I have a question about DRIVER BOOSTER tool from IOBIT Software.

I would like to find out or learn irrefutable evidence showing that the Driver Booster program from IOBIT is a BLOATWARE type program that steals user data from a PC instead of sending only information about your equipment.

I'm talking about this program:
- Official website: https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

I got information from a few programmers' people that this program connecting to the IOBIT server database to download drivers also sends other private user data to the IOBIT server - is this true? How can you check it? I need irrefutable evidence.

I read on the internet that you can "listen to" the program as it uses the internet to check if there is telemetry or not, by checking the packages - is it possible to check this program? If not how to check this progam, is this program safe or not? I need this because I do not know which side to believe - on the one hand they say that the program is 100% safe and use it for several years and nothing has ever happened, and the other side of people say that it would never recommend this program to anyone because it BLOATWARE but they do not want to give any evidence to confirm their thesis that it is BLOATWARE.

Can you provide me with clear evidence or the possibility of checking the above-mentioned program?

Some people say that it is impossible to check if the program sends private data without looking into the source code - is it true?

I am waiting for answers from you,

Best wishes,
Marta.

STN
Founder
Founder

Re: Driver Booster from IOBIT - is this program a Bloatware?

Post by STN » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:47 am

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/1 ... led-iobit/

I would consider it bloatware. You can check for updated drivers yourself but that's just me
For site updates, follow FRF's official Twitter, Facebook

TheyCallMeTim13
Administration
Administration

Post by TheyCallMeTim13 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:18 am

Well, what you described wouldn't be "BLOATWARE", not unless you think it works fine and does what it says but it's size or memory usage is way to big; that's bloatware.

If what your saying is true, then it would be a trojan; a program hiding it's real purpose, by looking like something else.

As for your "irrefutable evidence", you'd have to make a honey pot; and catch them sending that data; like a bitcoin wallet, or bank account numbers. Then prove some person is actually receiving and using the information, and that this is known/documented by the company. But even then it would still very much be "refutable", you can catch someone red handed and they can still refute it if they want to.

But the real question I think is, what is a "driver booster" and why would you need it; even the name makes no sense.

Rule of thumb, if it says "driver" and it's not from the hardware manufacturer, then it's probably malware; makes it nice when you install it at a driver level, gives the malware a lot of rights on the machine. And I've never seen a "driver fixer" that wasn't a trojan of some form; it's nonsensical to use these for real, so malware creators like to use them.

Extra:
Here's a fun one to look into, Wikipedia.org - Hardware Trojan; meaning they build it into the hardware itself. It's very hard if not impossible to detect, and completely undetectable from a software level.

MartaLabieniec
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by MartaLabieniec » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:34 am

hey, I read all info what you posted and in the newest MBAM posts - they said that the newest version of Driver Booster is not a bloatware - so what your opion is about that statement of MBAM?

TheyCallMeTim13
Administration
Administration

Post by TheyCallMeTim13 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:59 am

MartaLabieniec wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:34 am
hey, I read all info what you posted and in the newest MBAM posts - they said that the newest version of Driver Booster is not a bloatware - so what your opion is about that statement of MBAM?
???

Where are you getting the word "bloatware" from, and what makes you think that's what it is?
https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Bloatware&redirect=no
Wikipedia.org - Software bloat

And who are you talking to? Doesn't seem like you read any of my post.