[Request]Can a new forum rule/standard please be added

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
CaesarCzech
Cheater
Cheater

Re: [Request]Can a new forum rule/standard please be added

Post by CaesarCzech » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Lets go for minimalistic formating. Table must include the Name of Game for which it was made and version of game. This is easily enforcable.

Anyway we could propably locate topic for inentifing those tables. If we know what tables we have(i mean names of games) we can try to identify which table is which. for example if table agsdahaha is for Age of empires 2, then we rename it and cross out table agsdahaha out from list and cross out age of empires 2 table, if we have 2 tables for AoE 2 and we found 1 then we cross out Age of Empires 2 2xtable and change it to Age of Empires 2 1xtable.

Hope you can see my idea throught my shitty grammar

Zanzer
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by Zanzer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:40 am

I prefer to keep my table names identical to the game's executable.

That way, when I click Open in CE after attaching it to a game, it already has the name of the CT file.

Might I also suggest an alternative of adding the specific details to the Table Extras field?

Any standard XML parser could go through a list of files and extract the relevant data.

<Comments>Game Name - Version - etc.</Comments>

Since some people like to add stuff there, only reserve the first line for game information.

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:09 am

CE 6.7 will support signing cheat tables so putting your name in CTs shouldn't be needed anymore.

The only thing left is including game name which i believe everyone should.

SinStar87
Cheater
Cheater

Post by SinStar87 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 am

I have no clue what version most of my tables are for, only way I could find them is to reinstall said games(if anyone has an easier way feel free to let me know). That's not saying it's not a good rule to use, I'm just lazy and don't have plans to replay many games I have tables for so won't be reinstalling them anytime soon.

seronis
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by seronis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 am

Other than game name I dont think any other info should be REQUIRED, only suggested. I for one delete all those long names when I use a table so that it just matches the game name or executable name, whichever is shorter. I do agree all that info should be required to be in the forum post. But not in the file names.

Squall8
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Squall8 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 am

I agree with keeping the naming convention short. In my opinion long names just look a bit messy to me. Process and/or Game Name_Game Origin and Version. Simple and easily identifiable. I always include the proper details in the OP or table itself. That being said, if we ever do come up with a standard I'll use whatever is agreed upon.

++METHOS
Administration
Administration

Post by ++METHOS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:39 am

The CT file name does not need to change. There are two, primary concerns:

1. Providing appropriate details in thread posts.
2. Providing appropriate details inside of CT. (these details can be left inside the 'Table Extras' or inside of AA/Lua scripts as comments)

The latest version of CE is supposed to have support for signing tables, but I have not looked to see what this entails. Personally, I use a custom script generator for all AA scripts that automatically identifies me as the author, as well as any other additional information that I want to provide regarding the target, version and/or script details etc.. That being said, I do not see any reason why this should pose any problems, given the solutions that are currently available.

SunBeam
Trouble Makers
Trouble Makers

Post by SunBeam » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:31 pm

I have a suggestion, as to planting a simple LUA script that can be modified per table, called "Trainer Info". Top script in the table. What script does is to open up a message box (or we can create a window) with details on game version, author, table options, description etc. When closing the pop-up/window, script auto-disables itself and window is destroyed. Would that do?..

Can be planted in any table we have here.

sbryzl
Cheater
Cheater

Post by sbryzl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 am

Including versions can be problematic for me because I try to make my tables omni-compatible. I test it on one version but if I'm lucky it will work on others.

++METHOS
Administration
Administration

Post by ++METHOS » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 am

sbryzl -- in such cases, you would simply provide the version that the table was made with. It should be understood that if AOB scanning is used, then the table may also work across other versions. That said, if you are able to test and/or confirm that the table works for other versions, then you can state that if you choose.