[Request]Can a new forum rule/standard please be added

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
nicklesbe
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

[Request]Can a new forum rule/standard please be added

Post by nicklesbe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 am

Hi.

In my attempt to find old tables I was given great info and sources from STN, CaesarCzech, and atom0s here http://forum[dot]cheatengine[dot]org/viewtopic.php?t=603684 I found a great deal of tables. Even got my hands on a rar file that is described to have every table since before feb. 28 2017. However with all the sources provided to me I consistently ran into a Huge problem the same problem over and over. I have a rar file with thousands of cheat tables most of which I have no idea which games they belong to. Just random letters and abbreviations or random v1/v2 ect. Seemingly no way to discern what game they work for or when they were made. This is a huge problem, one we can easily avoid.

There is no telling what may happen in the future. No one foresaw what happened to CE's forums. Anything can happen, a natural disaster, malicious attack, theft of physical hardware, war, change in government/laws that no longer protects these forums. Anything. Something already happened to the CE forums and from that we saw that great people and great minds came together to keep the community alive and protect and save the knowledge and intellectual property that has been made over the years. Truly inspiring to see, kudos to you all. I just think that we can all learn more from what happened and do more and better preserve the knowledge and intellectual property of this community and these great minds.

To help achieve that goal I believe it is in the communities and these forums best interest to adopt a new rule and naming standard. Nothing too complex, simply require that the name of every ct uploaded to these forums must contain the name of the game it's for, the version of the game it works for and preferably the date in which it was created. Very simple solution that can go a long way in helping preserve and sort the tables created in case anything ever happens to these forums and the data must be salvaged. I would create a poll but I'm not sure if you can or how on these forums. So if you support and agree with this idea please show it here so that maybe it can be made a rule and adopted as a standard for the community to use. Thanks for reading and for you time.

RaDeX
Administration
Administration

Re: [Request]Can a new forum rule/standard please be added

Post by RaDeX » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:34 am

I'm actually in favour of this. Perhaps we should have some feedback from the authors themselves?

nicklesbe
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by nicklesbe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:48 am

I'm all for feedback from the authors. I'm also open to other ideas/solutions as well. I just want to start a dialogue with the community, especially the authors so that we can make things easier and more efficient if something does happen or if someone take steps to better sort/preserve the tables.

ColonelRVH
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by ColonelRVH » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:29 pm

I recommend:

Code: Select all

<Game name in full><version> <optional: + number of cheats> [<Table version>][<release date>][<author name>]

ex:
Tales of Berseria v1.48.00 +25 [Table v2.0][2017-3-19][ColonelRVH] 
Well it's pretty much the basic naming from Gamecopyworld, and i think it's great.

nicklesbe
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by nicklesbe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:16 pm

I agree, that does look good and should make tables easily identifiable.

++METHOS
Administration
Administration

Post by ++METHOS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:22 pm

General practice should be that authors include appropriate details in the OP (and) in the table/trainer. Enforceable measures would have to be approved by Admin, but should be doable from a practical standpoint. Better to make it a community effort as I know that I personally do not want to have to check every single table that gets published. :D

nicklesbe
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by nicklesbe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 pm

I agree completely. I only suggest a ct name standard because all the info/details from the tables OPs on CE was lost which suddenly left me and others looking through thousands of cts many of which you'd have to go through one by one and hope the name of the game and version is commented somewhere in the code. Which so far I have seen many times simply wasn't there. The last thing I want to do is add more work for the forum administration. The whole goal for this idea is to make less work for the administration in the event something does happen and the tables need to be backed up and restored.

Is it possible to change the name of a CT before/during the upload process? Like when someone goes to upload a ct before it lets them there are 5-6 input boxes each asking for a different part of this "<Game name in full><version> <optional: + number of cheats> [<Table version>][<release date>][<author name>]" and only lets them upload once those are filled out, then once they are it changes everything before the .ct to what was in those input fields? If so then it would be a way to easily enforce the standard without having to closely monitor every single ct upload.

Eric
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by Eric » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 am

all those CT's where accompanied with a file containing quite detailed information including the post contents that came with each single attachment

But so far everyone has deleted that file before uploading

Recifense
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by Recifense » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 am

RaDeX wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:19 pm
Hi Recifense,

You should pop in and join our Discord server: https://discord.gg/ZQJ4Y85

Please can you also provide your feedback on this idea:
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=2152

Best Regards,
RaDeX
Hi there,

I already follow this:

<name of the process>_<name of the game>_<version of the game>_<origin>_<sponsor>_<CE version>_<script version><table version>

Where:
name of the process => Process to be loaded;
name of the game => Only if it is too different of the process name;
version of the game => very important;
origin => STEAM, SKIDROW, RELOADED, ETC
Sponsor => If someone provided the game;
version of CE => Important to me;
version of the script => Important to me (followed or not by AOB)
version of the table => Important to me

Examples:

BattleFleetGothic-Win64-Shipping_v1-7-9962_SKR_CE66_S10_T10.CT
CivilizationVI_DX11_DX12_v1-0-0-56_Steam_Fennix102_CE66_S22_T30.CT
CK2game_v2-7-WHGQ_Steam_saucefar_Megatek_darkedone02_CE66_S83_T60.CT
ctgw_Commander_The_Great_War_v1-5-1_Retail_CE64_S10_AOB_T10.CT

Cheers!

=======================================================
RaDeX PM me and that's what I answered.

I'd like to add that I don't agree with a standard format, but I agree with a minimum information.

Cheers!

nicklesbe
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by nicklesbe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:28 am

Eric wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 am
all those CT's where accompanied with a file containing quite detailed information including the post contents that came with each single attachment

But so far everyone has deleted that file before uploading
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Can you please point me in the right direction of this list? The only collections I have ever seen are the incomplete collection here https://github[dot]com/Hexorg/CheatEngineTables and a complete rar file here of all the tables from before feb 28 2017 here https://gitlab[dot]com/cef.table.archive/cef.table.archive neither of which have a detailed list of any kind for the containing tables. Not even sure how they could even create such a list given many are impossible to discern they originated. Even if there was a list which I would greatly appreciate if I had one it is still a very inefficient system which puts unneeded work on anyone trying to sort, preserve, and restore those tables. That's a problem I wholeheartedly hope we as community can come together to solve.

Also I do have some good news, I asked my friend that is a web designer and he assured me it is possible to have required inputs that can change the name of a CT before/during the upload process, so it is possible for that idea to be implemented which would enforce the standard without having to closely monitor every single post/upload, which would make the admin's job easier.

nicklesbe
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by nicklesbe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 am

Recifense wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 am
RaDeX wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:19 pm
Hi Recifense,

You should pop in and join our Discord server: https://discord.gg/ZQJ4Y85

Please can you also provide your feedback on this idea:
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=2152

Best Regards,
RaDeX
Hi there,

I already follow this:

<name of the process>_<name of the game>_<version of the game>_<origin>_<sponsor>_<CE version>_<script version><table version>

Where:
name of the process => Process to be loaded;
name of the game => Only if it is too different of the process name;
version of the game => very important;
origin => STEAM, SKIDROW, RELOADED, ETC
Sponsor => If someone provided the game;
version of CE => Important to me;
version of the script => Important to me (followed or not by AOB)
version of the table => Important to me

Examples:

BattleFleetGothic-Win64-Shipping_v1-7-9962_SKR_CE66_S10_T10.CT
CivilizationVI_DX11_DX12_v1-0-0-56_Steam_Fennix102_CE66_S22_T30.CT
CK2game_v2-7-WHGQ_Steam_saucefar_Megatek_darkedone02_CE66_S83_T60.CT
ctgw_Commander_The_Great_War_v1-5-1_Retail_CE64_S10_AOB_T10.CT

Cheers!

=======================================================
RaDeX PM me and that's what I answered.

I'd like to add that I don't agree with a standard format, but I agree with a minimum information.

Cheers!
That is a really good system. You are one of the people who's tables I had the easiest time identifying tables, it was actually you guys who gave me the idea to ask for a standard in the first place since I saw such a deep contrast in table labeling and thought tables should all be that well labeled. So I thank you for that.

predprey
Cheater
Cheater

Post by predprey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 am

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic. ... 19#5719419

I don't mind, but chances of it becoming a reality is not very optimistic looking. First, everyone has to decide on an agreeable protocol, then stick to it, including new authors, without it being stated in the rules and such. I for one think putting sponsors in the title is superfluous and can be saved in the comments section along with the contributing authors. I understand the well meaning intentions behind strongly recognizing sponsors for their contribution but doing so may end up cluttering the file name. Other than that Recifense's format is good to go and will be what I will use in the future.

P.S. I am actually confounded by Shinkansen's naming format where he uses V1000, V1001.....etc. The 1 in front seems unnecessary since it never changes though I admit V1002 looks nicer than V2 :lol:

RaDeX
Administration
Administration

Post by RaDeX » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 am

predprey wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 am
I don't mind, but chances of it becoming a reality is not very optimistic looking. First, everyone has to decide on an agreeable protocol, then stick to it, including new authors, without it being stated in the rules and such.
I agree, however I think if we can get a general consensus going with naming, it will make everyone's lives easier. So its an unspoken agreement of sorts :)

Darkedone02
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by Darkedone02 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 pm

predprey wrote:

I don't mind, but chances of it becoming a reality is not very optimistic looking. First, everyone has to decide on an agreeable protocol, then stick to it, including new authors, without it being stated in the rules and such. I for one think putting sponsors in the title is superfluous and can be saved in the comments section along with the contributing authors. I understand the well meaning intentions behind strongly recognizing sponsors for their contribution but doing so may end up cluttering the file name. Other than that Recifense's format is good to go and will be what I will use in the future.

P.S. I am actually confounded by Shinkansen's naming format where he uses V1000, V1001.....etc. The 1 in front seems unnecessary since it never changes though I admit V1002 looks nicer than V2 :lol:
I like both recifense formatting and even love shinkansen's/predprey format even better, it's more detailed and actually show a changelog of every change, it's very informative and that's what I liked about it.

predprey
Cheater
Cheater

Post by predprey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 am

Darkedone02 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 pm
predprey wrote:

I like both recifense formatting and even love shinkansen's/predprey format even better, it's more detailed and actually show a changelog of every change, it's very informative and that's what I liked about it.
*Shinkansen's format*

i'm only copying him. imitation is the best form of flattery, they say.