We are under a DDOS attack again!

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
STN
Founder
Founder

We are under a DDOS attack again!

Post by STN »

Just wanted to let you know we are under attack again!

Yes, the attack that tried to bring us down months back continues. I don't think you will notice anything though as i've activated security features now, the attachments might require registration if needed.

jungletek
Shogun
Shogun

Re: We are under a DDOS attack again!

Post by jungletek »

The Discord is fucky too, ATM. Related?

fantomas
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by fantomas »

STN wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:41 pm
I don't think you will notice anything though as i've activated security features now, the attachments might require registration if needed.
Yeah, I guessed that when I got the Cloudflare's "Checking your Browser before accessing fearlessrevolution.com" message. These attacks, childish. I pity people behind them. :|

seikur0
Code Alchemist
Code Alchemist

Post by seikur0 »

You'd think a forum like this wouldn't be targeted by people with the skills to do so.. Maybe some big game company is behind it? :/

afraidless
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by afraidless »

seikur0 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 am
You'd think a forum like this wouldn't be targeted by people with the skills to do so.. Maybe some big game company is behind it? :/
i don't know, man. this is too shady, too petty, to be anything that a big business would bother with.

crimsonedge11
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by crimsonedge11 »

I think it's probably butthurt gamer SJWs who think that people who cheat on games are the scourge of humanity.

Or some little rich kid got hacked in some online game, and he's taking it out on forums like this.

Whoever it may be, I'm 100% convinced it's a petty vendetta.

afraidless
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by afraidless »

crimsonedge11 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 pm
I think it's probably butthurt gamer SJWs who think that people who cheat on games are the scourge of humanity.

Or some little rich kid got hacked in some online game, and he's taking it out on forums like this.

Whoever it may be, I'm 100% convinced it's a petty vendetta.
sounds more true. mb a bunch of them, a group dedicated to "ridding the gaming community of cheaters and hackers". :o
i guess singleplayer cheaters are high-profile targets, too. :roll:

crimsonedge11
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by crimsonedge11 »

afraidless wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:17 am
sounds more true. mb a bunch of them, a group dedicated to "ridding the gaming community of cheaters and hackers". :o
Also, there are websites that charge subs for access to trainers and cheats that might have an invested interest in shutting websites like this down that host free cheat tables. Especially within the release window of a major title that people are bound to be looking for cheat tables ASAP for. I don't keep track of all the big releases, but did anything really big drop during the same time this website was DDOS'd? Anyone can go on the dark web and pay some people a fee to get just about any website DDOS'd.

afraidless
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by afraidless »

crimsonedge11 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 pm
afraidless wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:17 am
Also, there are websites that charge subs for access to trainers and cheats that might have an invested interest in shutting websites like this down that host free cheat tables. Especially within the release window of a major title that people are bound to be looking for cheat tables ASAP for. I don't keep track of all the big releases, but did anything really big drop during the same time this website was DDOS'd? Anyone can go on the dark web and pay some people a fee to get just about any website DDOS'd.
welcome to capitalism, baby. but idk what came out during the ddos. shadow of war maybe?

nevertheless, good thing stn invested in some security measures. i still remember when I saw cheat engine go down on tv... first the first tower.. then the second.. it was horrible. i hope it never hap- wait, wasn't that something else

gir489
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by gir489 »

Services like cloudflare don't help much for a dynamic site like a forum. So you're pretty much SOL on the Q&D anti DoS services. But they do help mitigate requests from large ares of the world where DoS taffic comes from, like China, Russia and India.

Most of the DDoS traffic I see are heavy ICMP and SNMP nonsense requests. You could try switching to TCP only mode during the attacks. Spiders and shit won't be able to see you, but it's better than nothing. It's what we do during an attack, and it generally works, since a TCP attack generally only works from a MITM/local attack, by sending arbitrary TCP RST requests and shit like that.

Eric
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by Eric »

It could also just be spambots trying to autogenerate accounts (The more popular a site, the more bots)

Tip, block "POST /" access, that's 70% of CE's requests and it does nothing.
You should block it before it hits PHP(else it's too late and it'll eat up memory), so add a rule in your webhost process
e.g
lighttpd : /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf:

Code: Select all

$HTTP["request-method"] =~ "^(POST)$" {
  url.access-deny = ("/")
}
If you don't have access to that, but are on cloudflare then go to Firewall->Web application firewall-> Package: Cloudflare Rule Set->rule details->advanced->100040 and set it to BLOCK (unless your website handles POST commands on the ROOT , so not even a php file)

(cheatengine.org gets 50 of those per minute, and if I don't block them, there'd be constant 500 page errors)