Microsoft quietly added an anti-cheat game feature to Windows 10

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
gir489
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Microsoft quietly added an anti-cheat game feature to Windows 10

Post by gir489 »

[Link]

I wonder if it's just as shit as the GFWL anti cheat, where you replace one function, and the whole AC falls apart.

Kalas
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Microsoft quietly added an anti-cheat game feature to Windows 10

Post by Kalas »

:o :o :o

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN »

Yeah i heard. Wonder how it's going to be like

shadosteel
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by shadosteel »

fucking hell, microsoft used to be good one day ... where is privacy ? I want to fucking cheat it's not related to anyone. doubt i'll update.

afraidless
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by afraidless »

shadosteel wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am
fucking hell, microsoft used to be good one day ... where is privacy ? I want to fucking cheat it's not related to anyone. doubt i'll update.
just read the article before you send your anonymous friends to bill gates HQ. and microsoft has been collecting your data for years anyway.

this microsoft anti-cheat is a stunt to attract game developers, particularily those upset with VAC. they are just trying to cut off a slice of digital distribution, for video games. it's a growing market. not all games on steam use VAC, and not all games on the microsoft store will use ..whatever the shit's called.

gir489
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by gir489 »

shadosteel wrote:
First off, [Link].

Second, it's a game. Nobody cares if they collect your aim delta information and send it to Microsoft.

Third, this is great news for developers. It makes their job so much easier, and with Microsoft's push for the UWP, I think this is an amazing step in the right direction. Anti-cheats like VAC don't work at all. They rely old technology like signature scan and PE heuristics to detect cheaters. This hasn't work for mal-ware in 20 years, IDK why they'd think it would work for cheaters today.

Anti-cheats like Warden are great, because habitual cheaters and serious offenders are easily verified as cheating given enough reports. You could even write a K-means cluster AI to figure out potential cheaters, and don't even need to rely on reported cheaters. You could just have the bot determine if their actions are inhuman. And who better to make that decision than a bot? The only true unbiased thing in the world is a computer. The UWP anti-cheat is going to work similar to this, as you can see on their dev page, it just sends information about the game and what they're doing from a very statistical perspective. AI doesn't need to be perfect, and it never will. It just needs to be better than humans, which is not hard to surpass. See: self-driving cars.

This is amazing news for game developers like myself who just want an easy solution, this pushes the VERY tough problem of sorting out cheaters on MP games on to Microsoft; a giant corporation with billions to spend on R&D solutions, vs letting each game company deal with this problem.

If the anti-cheat is good enough, it could seriously threaten Steam. Just because Steam dominates the PC market now, doesn't mean that will be forever. The whole reason Valve pushed for a Linux-based OS, is that they feared Microsoft was going to make them obsolete with the XBOX app coming to Windows 8.1. Their fears were blown wildly out of proportion, but it shows how much influence Microsoft has on the gaming market.

Microsoft has figured out this problem on so many levels. The problem isn't "how do I fix this one problem", the problem is "Why does this problem occur, and how do we stop it?" The obvious problem being "Today's platform is tomorrow's obsolete." The entire gaming industry has shifted to mobile games. More gamers exist now than ever before, and it's growing exponentially thanks to mobile games and the push for gender neutral gaming. Games like candy crush, Minecraft and angry birds appeal to everyone, as opposed to games like Halo and Gears of War apply to your teenage angsty men/tomboy girls, which is an insanely small percentage of the marketshare.

Microsoft's push for UWP is brilliant. Because when the next new hotness device comes out, Microsoft just needs to write a UWP runtime for it, and bam, problem solved. Cuphead is the biggest "proof" i can show people now, with a wildly successful game finally published with UWP. UWP is the future, and with this recent addition, it's REALLY going to give Valve a run for their money, and hopefully make them do shit like update their IPs instead of just adding hats and maps to a 10 year old game and calling it new fucking content. NEW content that they didn't create, they had the community create, and they just pay them. What a load of shit.

afraidless
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by afraidless »

gir489 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 pm
shadosteel wrote:
-snip-
yea.

shadosteel
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by shadosteel »

gir489 wrote:
shadosteel wrote:
First off, [Link].

Second, it's a game. Nobody cares if they collect your aim delta information and send it to Microsoft.

Third, this is great news for developers. It makes their job so much easier, and with Microsoft's push for the UWP, I think this is an amazing step in the right direction. Anti-cheats like VAC don't work at all. They rely old technology like signature scan and PE heuristics to detect cheaters. This hasn't work for mal-ware in 20 years, IDK why they'd think it would work for cheaters today.

Anti-cheats like Warden are great, because habitual cheaters and serious offenders are easily verified as cheating given enough reports. You could even write a K-means cluster AI to figure out potential cheaters, and don't even need to rely on reported cheaters. You could just have the bot determine if their actions are inhuman. And who better to make that decision than a bot? The only true unbiased thing in the world is a computer. The UWP anti-cheat is going to work similar to this, as you can see on their dev page, it just sends information about the game and what they're doing from a very statistical perspective. AI doesn't need to be perfect, and it never will. It just needs to be better than humans, which is not hard to surpass. See: self-driving cars.

This is amazing news for game developers like myself who just want an easy solution, this pushes the VERY tough problem of sorting out cheaters on MP games on to Microsoft; a giant corporation with billions to spend on R&D solutions, vs letting each game company deal with this problem.

If the anti-cheat is good enough, it could seriously threaten Steam. Just because Steam dominates the PC market now, doesn't mean that will be forever. The whole reason Valve pushed for a Linux-based OS, is that they feared Microsoft was going to make them obsolete with the XBOX app coming to Windows 8.1. Their fears were blown wildly out of proportion, but it shows how much influence Microsoft has on the gaming market.

Microsoft has figured out this problem on so many levels. The problem isn't "how do I fix this one problem", the problem is "Why does this problem occur, and how do we stop it?" The obvious problem being "Today's platform is tomorrow's obsolete." The entire gaming industry has shifted to mobile games. More gamers exist now than ever before, and it's growing exponentially thanks to mobile games and the push for gender neutral gaming. Games like candy crush, Minecraft and angry birds appeal to everyone, as opposed to games like Halo and Gears of War apply to your teenage angsty men/tomboy girls, which is an insanely small percentage of the marketshare.

Microsoft's push for UWP is brilliant. Because when the next new hotness device comes out, Microsoft just needs to write a UWP runtime for it, and bam, problem solved. Cuphead is the biggest "proof" i can show people now, with a wildly successful game finally published with UWP. UWP is the future, and with this recent addition, it's REALLY going to give Valve a run for their money, and hopefully make them do shit like update their IPs instead of just adding hats and maps to a 10 year old game and calling it new fucking content. NEW content that they didn't create, they had the community create, and they just pay them. What a load of shit.
No you don't get the picture here, with all due respect after reading this rubbish, the point is all kinds of anti cheats are bad, just as how DRM and microtransactions are bad, like addication, this is being under surveillance 24/7 , I want to watch CP , I want to cheat in games and you want to block me from cheating ? that never works, didn't work with piracy and games, wont work with this either if someone is going to cheat they will ALWAYS find a way. you are doing nothing by putting that crap inside games, infact maybe it's your/their issue to think people are gonna cheat we gotta stop them all ! and see things so negative. you can't block something by froce, history has proven time and time again if your game is good enough and well developed you shouldn't give afuck about who cheats and who does'nt, who pirate it and who wont (just an e.g) CD project red, but this thing is hilarious now in addition to DRM we will face Anti-cheats in future , microsoft is not the company it used to be before, hell even world is not the same, no one trusts anyone anymore, "control over their actions" this won't last forever hopefully. things like UWP or DRM are not the future, they only takes us backwards instead of forwards...if some one is going to cheat they will, online of offline , and if you're confident with product you've developed (therefore it most likely gains alot of players) then you shouldn't worry at all. nowadays all people ask is bit of quality while devs are worried how to block players, how to stop pirates etc. while they could just focus on the fking game itself.

gir489
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by gir489 »

Using the "hackers are gonna hack" argument is a straw-man argument. You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. So you're just saying all security doesn't work and we shouldn't try?

shadosteel
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by shadosteel »

gir489 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 pm
Using the "hackers are gonna hack" argument is a straw-man argument. You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. So you're just saying all security doesn't work and we shouldn't try?
I'm not talking about fucking world, that's a different kind of topic, I'm talking about fucking games. why the hell do we need security for a fucking video game ? putting things like anti cheat and DRM only makes the situation worse in many aspects it has been proven time and time again.

not to mention the amount of issues anti-cheats cause, people been banned for having spotify opened. lost all their fucking time they put into the game, I got banned from a game spending 60+hours because of trying out a fucking script, fuck this kind of shit. and as result of that they and me never played that game again = they lost players and reputation. exactly the fucking thing they're trying to protect by having DRM or anti fucking cheat. and i never said hackers are gonna hack, I said cheaters are gonna cheat.

++METHOS
Administration
Administration

Post by ++METHOS »

Last two posts edited. Try to keep it civil, guys.

H4x0rBattie
Cheater
Cheater

Post by H4x0rBattie »

Naturally their AC is limited to Microsoft games. Anyway this is another reason for me to uninstall Windows 10 from my test computer and switch back to Win7.

They should first improve their Security Essentials to match the competition. Once they are done with that, maybe then I take their AC seriously.

AoBoy
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by AoBoy »

I tried to avoid windows 10, but I would have had to build my own PC to get W8 orW7.... so I dint.

Retroactively, I really should have. Because fk Windows 10. honestly.

tofudog
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by tofudog »

Thanks for the Heads-up, but frankly I wasn't going to get 10 anyway. For MP anticheat may be a thing, but I am SP and offline all the way and so I don't want to be bothered with that kind of crap.

jungletek
Shogun
Shogun

Post by jungletek »

gir489 wrote:
And who better to make that decision than a bot? The only true unbiased thing in the world is a computer.
Do you really believe that AI wouldn't/doesn't have biases like humans do? :lol:

[Link]