Painful account verification

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
GrandPa
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Painful account verification

Post by GrandPa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:11 pm

I open this post just to inform you how painful it can be the no-bot verification you are using right now.

I was already an old man when I first registered on ce forum years ago, and my eyesight is getting only worse.
I took me ten attempt to guess the verification check, and in other cases I would have typically give up.
Using audio instead of images is worthless too (English is not my language, and synthetic voices are really bad).

So, please, if you can find better solutions for everybody, even for those who have issues, it should be better.
It feels really bad getting excluded

++METHOS
Administration
Administration

Re: Painful account verification

Post by ++METHOS » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Probably better to not compromise on security in an effort to accommodate such isolated cases.

GrandPa
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by GrandPa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 pm

...I just suggesting to consider yourself/yourselves to be, for some moments, one of your grannies; AND, obviously, still keeping a high degree of security.
If there's not another solution, well, we'll have to depend on somebody else (and it sucks)

STN
Founder
Founder

Post by STN » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm

You could have PMed me or any of the other admins on cef and an account would have been made for you.

Google's recaptcha is amazing, it works really good at stopping automated tools. I was using another at the beginning of forums and there were spam posts every damn hour to take care of.

Since you have registered now, you don't have to worry about it. If anyone else has issues, they should email me or admins here or join our discord and PM there.
For site updates, follow FRF's official Twitter, Facebook

SunBeam
Trouble Makers
Trouble Makers

Post by SunBeam » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 pm

To join our Discord server people need to know what it is, does, how to use. Also where specifically is the Discord statement specified from a non-forum user perspective. Am not sure this is pinned someplace public (and don't say "Google search for it", cuz it's lame).

++METHOS
Administration
Administration

Post by ++METHOS » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 pm

GrandPa wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 pm
...I just suggesting
-I understand what you are suggesting. From a practical standpoint, however, it would not make much sense, especially given the nature and typical demographic of this forum. Additionally, you were able to finally register, after all. If you were inclined to not register simply because the captcha was too difficult, then you would likely not fit the target demographic that this forum caters to. :mrgreen:

gir489
RCE Fanatics
RCE Fanatics

Post by gir489 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:47 pm

The synthetic voice is available in all languages translate.google.com allows with its Voice API. See: https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/language

You could've just changed the language, used the magnifier, or had someone help you. I don't think we should compromise security for an edge case user like the elderly, as Google's reCAPTCHA v2 is already ADA compliant, and they've gone above and beyond with 508 compliance.