Microsoft to introduce Anti-Cheat System in Windows 10 Fall Update.

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
Darkedone02
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Microsoft to introduce Anti-Cheat System in Windows 10 Fall Update.

Post by Darkedone02 »

"Along with the functioning Power Throttling tech there is also an intriguing little placeholder feature which has appeared with the latest Insider builds. Game Monitor has popped up inside the Gaming section of settings, though it is purely just a dummy tab right now.

Microsoft noted in the recent patch notes for the latest build that “Windows Insiders will see a 'Game Monitor' page under Settings > Gaming for potential future functionality which doesn’t do anything right now.”

So at the moment all we’ve got is speculation as to what Game Monitor might actually do, but from the placeholder blurb on the page it looks a lot like some sort of built-in anti-cheat system for Windows:

Gaming is more fun when everyone plays fairly. We’ll share system info with games using Game Monitor to make sure everything runs the way it was meant to.

Turning this off may limit the games you can play.

It doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch to suggest Microsoft may be looking to get publishers and devs onboard with a system check feature which scouts out nefarious apps installed on your rig. If those programs are likely to result in an uneven playing field then Microsoft might end up locking you out of games participating in the Game Monitor system.

Whether this is really going to make a blind bit of difference to aimbots, wall hacks, or any number of different cheaty systems folk use to unfun online games, is still up for debate until Microsoft unveil the full details. We might hear some more at E3 next week as they unveil their grand PC gaming plans for the year ahead.

Chances are though it’ll just be another little hoop for the haxorz to jump through in order to make life online that little bit worse for everyone else. Though maybe Microsoft have got some grand plan to make whatever Game Monitor turns out to be unhackable. Maybe..."
Source: [Link]

So basically it seems microsoft might be going to war against us nonetheless if they point out towards ALL games, even single player games besides JUST Multiplayer games.

STN
Founder
Founder

Re: Microsoft to introduce Anti-Cheat System in Windows 10 Fall Update.

Post by STN »

Someone has to fill in denuvo's shoes :lol:

arlight1
Cheater
Cheater

Post by arlight1 »

"Turning this off may limit the games you can play."
"If those programs are likely to result in an uneven playing field then Microsoft might end up locking you out of games participating in the Game Monitor system."
Yeah right. Over my dead body.

huehuehu3
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by huehuehu3 »

Hm dont you think that you are interpreting a bit too much from very sparse information? There is nothing in there implying that it affects single player, (besides maybe microsofts general lack of subtlety and regard for their customer base) to me it actually just sounds like a default anti cheat, you could literally descibe all of the main multiplayer anticheats that way, from VAC to Battleye. "Gaming is more fun when everyone plays fairly. We’ll share system info with games using Game Monitor to make sure everything runs the way it was meant to." You could virtually replace that Game Monitor with PunkBuster and it wouldnt sound wrong. That one is also scanning your RAM and running programs afaik. As for "Turning this off may limit the games you can play." That isnt by itself worrying either, the same applies again to other anti cheats, If you play BF, PunkBuster autostarts, turn the autostart off, and "it will limit the games you can play" - namely you wont be able to play any multiplayer games relying on it.

Everything else, especially "check feature which scouts out nefarious apps INSTALLED on your rig" is just speculation of the author without any base and sounds rather off, after all, how would Microsoft enable their anticheat to recognize "malicious" programs just by scanning them on the hd? Or destinguish a legit softwareeditor/tool from a hack just by scanning the installation?

To me this sounds all in all as if Microsoft tries to get a foothold as anti cheat provider, and so far (although it might change, with all the bad new habits gaming industry develops i wouldnt be surprised if Take2 for instance would introduce "shark cards" for GTA VI singleplayer too, and ofc a come along anti cheat to prevent people from getting all that sweet shark card cash without using their debit card. but thats a whole other issue and unrelated to this - so far) they are limited to multiplayer, after all why would you pay for protection of a single player (game). Makes no sense, and paying the studios will have to if they want that Microsoft protection, cause they are no charity. And knowing Microsoft, i wouldnt be surprised if this is doomed anyways. Remember Games for Windows live, and how much work it is to keep an anticheat up to date, i doubt Microsoft will want to commit these resources.

But i dont know any more then the author, so that too is all speculation on my part.

There is also another reason why this might come crashing down fast: Its bound to Windows 10. Maybe theyll also introduce it to Windows 8 [doubt that it would go back as far as 7], if that is even possible for the architecture of these OS. Which company wants their product defended against hackers in a way that allows those playing from older windows, Apple OS or Linux to hack with impunity? Theyd have to pay for a second anti cheat, and then they could as well save themselves the cost to hire windows in the first place.