suggestion: forum search and quoting.

Post your topics and discussions here that you can't find a good section for.
mgr.inz.Player
Noobzor
Noobzor

suggestion: forum search and quoting.

Post by mgr.inz.Player » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 pm

forum search

Code: Select all

Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in 78 seconds
I've just used a search with this phrase: "mgr inz player", to find posts where people re-upload my tables and give a credit. Currently there are 27 matches. I clicked "2" to see a second page and I got above information. I'm guessing it is just an optimization (or anti DDoS) and there is a 90 seconds pause. My suggestion is: change "per page search matches" from current 15 to something bigger, maybe 90 per page.

quoting
Next suggestion. Change "quote button" behaviour. So things like this post won't happen: viewtopic.php?p=6029#p6029

My suggestion:
- an information box should pop-up every time for newcomers (account created less than 5 days ago) with information that it is strongly recommended to not quote whole post when it is not needed and rather should use "Quick Reply" or "Full Editor"
- disable quoting the first thread post entirely. It is often edited by OP and having outdated copies can lead to misinformation.

STN
Founder
Founder

Re: suggestion: forum search and quoting.

Post by STN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:41 pm

mgr.inz.Player wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 pm
(or anti DDoS) My suggestion is: change "per page search matches" from current 15 to something bigger, maybe 90 per page.
Yep for the ddos, i plan to use google search instead once the forums are indexed completely (there's still a lot of tables missing from their index). Will change the settings for the search flood interval.

about the quoting, i remember seeing settings to change that behavior in other forum software - i'll see if there's an extension for phpbb. Don't feel like rewriting phpbb and adding this myself.