Its not so much "giving up" and more just moving on. Game is pretty garbage and the company has hit a big low recently in terms of quality. That YouTube video showing off one of my mods is pretty nice to see. If you are interested, not just cheating, but also modding, I suggest you look into Dantarion's "bbtools" which you can find on github. He did the research and made a python script to parse character move-set scripts. For BBTAG the files are encrypted although the encryption is as follows:
1. File name is renamed by its md5 hash of the file path starting with "data/..."
2. File's bytes are encrypted with a key: ("F5 5C 84 2A AD 61 54 E7 0A FC 99 6B D5 A4 D3 D8 48 26 69 CB 07 42 13 5E 10 23 D2 6D 36 C7 C1 66 DF A1 AD F1 44 44 7E C9 8E 24 99")
3. Starting index of encryption key is found by taking the md5 hash of the file name's md5 hash and taking the 8th byte then modulus (%) it by 43
4. You then take the byte in the key based on the index value and xor it with the byte in the file
5. Increase the starting index number by 1 then modulus(%) it by 43 for new index
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the end of the file.