Change of forum software

Important news and information regarding Fearless Revolution.
STN
Founder
Founder

Change of forum software

Post by STN » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Here is what is going on

[LIST]

[*]Attachment Description + Replace existing archive - Remember this ( [URL]https://fearlessrevolution.com/threads/attachment-descriptions-replace-existing-archive.6686/[/URL] ) , it was custom made and cost us a shit ton, a few XF updates later and it is causing issues. Will need to hire them again to fix it.

[*]One of the things i disliked about xf was how resource hungry it is, i had to upgrade the host to a bigger package because forums experienced slow downs. It has been like a hundred times expensive to run these forums than the old setup we had. Also a bigger pain to update/move.

[*]The mobile experience has been terrible, sometime ago we tried a solution like tapatalk but i hated that and you have to use an external app to browse instead of your mobile browser. As a result, the forums also do terribly in mobile search.

[*]A lot of the features already present in phpbb or available free, you have to buy a mod for xf.

[/LIST]

and a few other issues popping up that are a proper pain in the ass.

I remember very well the "history" so trust me this is very hard/awkward for me to post but i am not going to let FRF suffer because it is inconvenient to post this or waste donations money on trivial things when it could be used to improve/maintain the site. Any donator that wishes to see the expenses ever since the switch to xf, i'd be glad to pm (don't feel like sharing some sensitive info to public).

I don't regret how everything happened, it was a learning experience and i had no idea how expensive running a customized XF forum would be and the server requirements/issues for a large site/difficulty in customization, it's definitely not for a donations run site like FRF unless you use it stock or have money to waste.

I am well aware some of you will not see it this way, that's fine. I have had to face a lot of hate after starting FRF and deal with personal attacks but if i let that affect me, this place wouldn't exist and i would've just said fuck it all ages ago. I am passionate about FRF and will do whatever i think helps it the best despite getting hatred.

So would have to be something free like mybb, smf or phpbb. phpbb is the most lightweight and easiest to customize, will check out others as well.

I know how much this sucks but trust me, i wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't absolutely necessary.
For site updates, follow FRF's official Twitter, Facebook

TheyCallMeTim13
Administration
Administration

Change of forum software

Post by TheyCallMeTim13 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:50 pm

I do like the forum as is, but I also prefer knowing that the forum will be around for a long time, so i guess it is what it is.

Plus anything open source is just better any way.

Sauce
Fearless Donors
Fearless Donors

Change of forum software

Post by Sauce » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:07 am

The old ugly software did "just work", at least from a user perspective, especially when it came to the attachments. I've gotten somewhat used to the new one, especially the dark modes, but I still don't like the attachments (as far as I can tell there is no way to tell when they were added or edited). I welcome any change as long as there is enough headsup for any required file backups.

TheyCallMeTim13
Administration
Administration

Change of forum software

Post by TheyCallMeTim13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 am

[USER=3324]@Sauce[/USER]

Not that it will mater soon, but try the [URL='https://fearlessrevolution.com/threads/metal-gear-solid-5-phantom-pain-table-v-3-0-21-ct.6010/attachlist'][U]Attachment browser[/U][/URL].

[URL='http://i.imgur.com/77uYfSG.png'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/77uYfSG.png[/IMG][/URL]

That is one thing I will miss, but it seemed to lead to people downloading without reading instructions. But some don't seem to read any thing either way.
Last edited by TheyCallMeTim13 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sauce
Fearless Donors
Fearless Donors

Change of forum software

Post by Sauce » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:50 am

^^ That looks a bit better. Wish it worked inline with the regular post.
Last edited by Sauce on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBRKiNG
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Change of forum software

Post by MBRKiNG » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:46 pm

ohh yes finally dark style no more eye cancer i like that a lot. god job mate

Ravess
Noobzor
Noobzor

Change of forum software

Post by Ravess » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 pm

I recommend MyBB. Been using it on my personal server for some time just to mess about with. Very lightweight and has tons of features.

danielyee
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Change of forum software

Post by danielyee » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:49 am

aye all hail to adm,i luv it very much,very in detail and organised,well done to administration

Deepthroat
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Change of forum software

Post by Deepthroat » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Go back to [B]phpbb[/B], as you already have experience with that platform.

Trying to change to any other platforms will take more time as you get used to CP and Addons.

STN
Founder
Founder

Change of forum software

Post by STN » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:22 pm

So i looked around and there is no converter for xf2 to any forum system (except IPB). So conversion to any other forum will have to be done manually. Mybb again has the same issue with no attachment description although it does have update attachment feature. SMF is a nightmare to mod plus so bland plus same issue with attachments. It will have to be phpbb again. Easiest to mod and provides attachment features that we like.

It will happen slowly over the coming days without any loss of data (hopefully).

STN
Founder
Founder

Change of forum software

Post by STN » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:47 pm

We are in the process of conversion to phpbb and from now on any posts made will not be migrated over. Just a heads up, I'll keep these forum accessible for archive purposes but any posts you make from now on will need to be posted again on new forums so i suggest not posting (especially new topics) unless you're willing to do that again.

The estimated time of completion is either today or tomorrow.

mac4500
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Change of forum software

Post by mac4500 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Hey STN

i thought this board was gonna be changed back over to PHPBB

STN
Founder
Founder

Change of forum software

Post by STN » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm

[QUOTE="mac4500, post: 54409, member: 348"]Hey STN

i thought this board was gonna be changed back over to PHPBB[/QUOTE]

The team we hired is working on it, unfortunately it's taking longer than thought. I was given the ETA of 2-3 days but looks like it will be longer than that.

I will keep this thread updated.

SendMe
Table Makers
Table Makers

Change of forum software

Post by SendMe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:06 am

[QUOTE="STN, post: 54411, member: 1"]The team we hired is working on it, unfortunately it's taking longer than thought. I was given the ETA of 2-3 days but looks like it will be longer than that.

I will keep this thread updated.[/QUOTE]

Did you hire a team to import a DB to a new CMS/Forum? I would've done that for free bud.

STN
Founder
Founder

Change of forum software

Post by STN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:26 am

[QUOTE="SendMe, post: 54498, member: 12528"]Did you hire a team to import a DB to a new CMS/Forum? I would've done that for free bud.[/QUOTE]

Well it still needs to be done, the whole import then connecting posts to forums and appropriate authors and linking attachments, bbcodes etc . They're stuck at attachment and bbcode part. It's a whole bunch of different things you need to connect/fix you know since phpbb and xenforo2 have very different way of handling everything and not just import.

If you're offering all that, sure why not?. They will not be paid until the work gets done and i am not liking their speed anyway (they quoted 2-3days). Let me know if you're serious about your offer, i will unhire them.