Finding the address of a rare item

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
omgwut
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by omgwut »

My case:
Lets say you're playing this game and obtained this incredibly rare item thanks to RNG. Said item is consumable. You use it, it's gone until you gain it back when RNGesus decides to. You want more of this item, but you only have one. Trying to get another one will probably take days to get it to drop again. Thankfully this game lets you buy back the item when you sell it. You hook up CE to the game, and start buying and selling the rare item, hopefully finding that address that's changing value. Bad news: you discovered that when the item reaches 0 value, the address becomes useless. Getting back the item gives it a different address than before. Oh right, you learned how to find pointers with CE thanks to the CE tutorial. Oh no, it turns out it's using multilevel pointers and you're too stupid to understand how to find multilevel pointers on this scale. Because of how many addresses comes up in CE, you attempted but failed to find the correct address, and it feels like they're all leading you to dead ends.

What do you do?

Your experience:
Ever dealt with a time where you wanted to hack the value of a rare item? Given how different each game is programmed, what game was it, what did you do, and how difficult was it?

TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Re: Finding the address of a rare item

Post by TimFun13 »

First I would try to get a least 3 before starting (just play the game and hack other stuff for now). But if say I only ever get one, or like you said it just takes too long; then I would look to see if it's setup as an inventory item; find other inventory items and look for shared instructions, you might find that 1 getting accessed (but know that stuff like a flash light, maps, or even notes; can be accessed and may hold a 1).

Most of the time you can just find some thing related to it, and start there.

EDIT:
Don't forget you can always use speed hack or hack the game time/timer to speed it up and speed up the drops/spawns.

omgwut
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Re: Finding the address of a rare item

Post by omgwut »

ShyTwig16 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:06 am
First I would try to get a least 3 before starting (just play the game and hack other stuff for now). But if say I only ever get one, or like you said it just takes too long; then I would look to see if it's setup as an inventory item; find other inventory items and look for shared instructions, you might find that 1 getting accessed (but know that stuff like a flash light, maps, or even notes; can be accessed and may hold a 1).

Most of the time you can just find some thing related to it, and start there.

EDIT:
Don't forget you can always use speed hack or hack the game time/timer to speed it up and speed up the drops/spawns.
Ah man. I tried that shared instructions thing. didn't work. there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many items you can carry. I tried putting the item on the hotbar shortcut but it did nothing. Well my best guess is to gather at least 3 but I'm worried that the item I get can only be obtained once per entire game including new game+.

EDIT: AAAAND I discovered on a Discord chat from other players that they appear once per entire save file. Well, it's the developers' intention to have it appear only once as it should be, but now I'll never know if the special effects it does stack with each other.

Dimentio
Novice Cheater
Novice Cheater

Post by Dimentio »

There's Multiple versions of shared instructions.

The Most Obvious: Find the address of some other item that has quantity. Find out what accesses it when you open your bag containing that item. See what other addresses are accessed by that instruction. (Might have an UPPER QTY Limit of 1, which you might have to change too)

Less obvious would be:

Hover Over

Carry in hand/drag

Find what accesses the address of the shopkeeper's list of items.

Other methods:

find the value of what it's bought for or sold for.

Find consumable item itemID# and change a different item TO that rare item ... start at 0 (might make the item disappear) and go until you find that items ID#.

Many methods to try. What works will depend on the game.
Last edited by Dimentio on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.