New to the forum: Question is about data structures and negative offsets

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
kazakh
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

New to the forum: Question is about data structures and negative offsets

Post by kazakh »

I found three data structures that show loot/drops of monsters on the floor in an isometric mmo.

They are very confusing and in order to find all values for the loot(Coords,item ID etc) I have to sometimes use a negative offset like in the image.

[Link]

Am I right in thinking that i have something wrong if I have to use negative offsets like this to cycle through the loot data structure?

The game I'm creating a bot for has protection which will crash a disassembler if I attach it, so I can't find what writes to the data structures, but I can see them in CE still with the data structures tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jungletek
Shogun
Shogun

Re: New to the forum: Question is about data structures and negative offsets

Post by jungletek »

The struct might not begin where you think it does, or perhaps it does.

In my limited experience, if I were to encounter an offset that was lower than my presumed 'structBase' address, I might assume that I had the wrong starting address for the struct and would try to investigate that.

That said, you may already be infringing on the rules here regarding discussion of cheating online games, so keep that in mind, don't mention your target, etc.