New to game hacking, lost in the process

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
barcelona
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

New to game hacking, lost in the process

Post by barcelona »

Hello guys.
I recently started playing around with Cheat Engine and C++ to create a trainer for the game Eternium ( ).
I'm currently trying to find a way to replicate what was done in the table created by the awesome @MBRKiNG (viewtopic.php?t=17749) regarding the Cosmetics as the AoB pattern has changed.
I've tried to put more wildcars to find it again, but I got no no results.
I've tried to perform changed/unchaged value scans and even tried debugging to check which istruction was performing this but I had no success.

Could someone point me in the right direction?
How can I determine the exact point where a function happens?
Once I attach cheat engine, or x64dbg, the game just keeps running and the events I get are always late.
Is there a way to stop the game step-by-step without setting breakpoints?

Thanks in advice!

Firev2
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Re: New to game hacking, lost in the process

Post by Firev2 »

"How can I determine the exact point where a function happens?" -> There is no 'automatic' way if there are no debugging symbols.

"'Ive tried to put more wildcars to find it again, but I got no no results." -> Likely the game has updated 'too much' and newer compilations broke the old pattern beyond repair.

"Is there a way to stop the game step-by-step without setting breakpoints?" Suspend all threads of the process. You can use process hacker for this from what I remember.

Cheers

Paul44
Table Makers
Table Makers

Re: New to game hacking, lost in the process

Post by Paul44 »

^^ concentrate on:
mageandminions.s86+23360D: 8D 8F 70 02 00 00 - lea ecx,[edi+00000270]
// ---------- INJECTING HERE ----------
mageandminions.s86+233613: 89 9F 7C 02 00 00 - mov [edi+0000027C],ebx

=> search aob for: "8D 8F * * 00 00 89 9F * * 00 00"
If still too many results, just add additional bytes (front/end), but any possible offset change must be wildcard-ed...
Once results return < 100, compare for "near" exactness...

ps: i generally start with them '02's still in there; hoping offsets are not thàt far off
ps: if you can get back to a working vs, that would allow you collect more opcode_scripts, AND have some datastruct examples to compare/expect...